Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also just something that comes with the territory. These are cheap toys, quality control isn't every going to be amazing.

At this point I hope Mattel completely gives up on MOTU and NECA gets the license again, they are currently blowing Mattel out of the water with their toys and PR dept.

Nah... I love NECA but I'd rather have MOTUC done by the 4H and Mattel...

I disagree. The line had no sub when it starts. The sales raised, the sellout times were faster and faster, the demand grew more and more in 2009 and Mattel decided to offer a sub. The first time of the sub, there wasn't any pressure on DOS buyer. They produced Trap Jaw and Battle Cat for a second time due the fast sellouts. Things gone smoothly in 2010 and especially in 2011. Then the message came, that 2012 sub sales went below 2011.

It was that time, where Mattel puts more pressure on DOS buyers and try more to force them into a sub. It didn't work. 2013 sub sales were below 2012 and the line was officially in danger.

The sub system does not rescue the line.

But it does... they need guaranteed sales... and that's exactly what it does... in order to make a Ram Man, they need to sell all the other figures that year... it sucks and I hate it but it is what it is...

Since NECA's strategy is usually to do figures with heavy parts re-use, MOTUC would be right up there alley. And since a good portion of MOTUC has had garbage QC, I don't see that being an issue.

Really? The only issue I've had is Stinkor's reversed forearms... and I even have doubles of lots of figures... :dunno

A small percentage hardly constitutes a 'good portion' now does it?!

I counted five figures with noted QC issue.

:goodpost:

Black paint scratches and loose ankles plague more than 5 figures. Not too mention some sloppy paint apps and bendy plastic on a lot of the more recent figures.

Bendy plastic on hands is kinda moot, as those hands are generaly not menat for holding things, WE'll call that preference, not a QC issue.

I've had a total of 1 figure with loose ankles and hips. That was Man at arms. I returned hom for an exchange, and got a better one with NO articulation issues.

Black bodies painted over WAS an issue, but not a QC one. this was remidied after 3 or so figures. this was a design decision. and a piss poor one.

I'd say none of those are as bad ad the alien's from neca WILTING UNDER IT'S OWN WEIGHT AND DEFORMING.

I've had a handful of figures in my time with that issue. Always a bummer. I have a bit of that issue with my Catra actually. She can stand and the legs only warp so much but they get particularly bad in certain poses.

Mattel will eventually need to sell the rights to MOTU. They have absolutely no handle on what made it great and where it needs to go to be better. The only good thing they had going was the 4H and when that partnership wraps up, it's back to the dustbin.

And unfortunately they listen to the loudest squalling fans about what they think makes it great. So we end up with purple bunnies.

I'd say none of those are as bad ad the alien's from neca WILTING UNDER IT'S OWN WEIGHT AND DEFORMING.

At least a half a dozen of my MOUTC figures have issues standing due to weak ankles and/or knees.

None of my NECA figures have large cracks running through them (Roboto), spontaneously exploded (Green Goddess), or have issues with bendy parts cracking (Snout Spout).

Black paint scratches and loose ankles plague more than 5 figures. Not too mention some sloppy paint apps and bendy plastic on a lot of the more recent figures.

I think most of the figures these year have been problem free... not sure what you're talking about... :dunno

And unfortunately they listen to the loudest squalling fans about what they think makes it great. So we end up with purple bunnies.

yeah... i got to admit...i don't get plundor...

Plundor fits right into the silliness of MOTU... a Giant Red Crab, a guy with an Elephant head, a giant Mosquito, a giant Bee... :lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:clap

Hate that thing haha.

I think most of the figures these year have been problem free... not sure what you're talking about... :dunno

True, gotta give credit where credit is due. No black morbo this year, no misassembled parts.

Plundor fits right into the silliness of MOTU... a Giant Red Crab, a guy with an Elephant head, a giant Mosquito, a giant Bee... :lol

There is no doubt a certain amount of silliness is present, but another requirement in my mind is to be cool(for the good guys) and menacing (for the baddies). Plundor is not menacing. He always came off as one of Filmation's less imaginative designs and a throw away concept.

To each his own, but Mattel needs to get away from that if they want to step up the brand in general. If we get Plundor but no Two-Bad or Modulok I'm going to let the power return!!!! :cuss

Ram Man and Snake Face came out fine, Netossa had that weird stain on the net(but who cares about that figure) and my Jitsu, at least, had weird paint on the head.

But those were the only figures I got this year.

Honestly even with some of the problems this line has had from things selling out super fast, some QC issues, and just some figures I did not want. I've had an awesome time collecting these. In fact this line is what got me back into collecting.

I don't want Plundor. I didn't want the star sisters. But! I've gotten a huge amount of figures that I love. I'm subbing again this year for the soul purpose of Two-Bad, Blade, and the sub exclusive. If the line ends after this Oh well. It had a good run in my opinion.

"To each their own", should be the slogan for this line haha, because what one of us doesn't like I can guarantee there will be people that do like it.

I will say this… maybe it's just me but the first two years of figures do actually look nicer than the more recent stuff. They have cleaner more complicated paint work.

I will say this… maybe it's just me but the first two years of figures do actually look nicer than the more recent stuff. They have cleaner more complicated paint work.

not sure about that...its overall the same to me

I know what you mean. I ws rearranging my displays today and had merman and stinkor side by side. The level of difference between the paint/shading on the figures and accessories was pretty noticeable!

I do think they've improved since this years price increase, the paint on my Ram Man was one of the best I've had on a MOTUC. But the quality still drops on occasion, most recently Karatti's accessories.

Last edited:
Yeah and Mantenna is looking really good too.

But yeah, looking at my Horde display you can really see a big difference between Hordak and everyone else.

Yeah and Mantenna is looking really good too.

But yeah, looking at my Horde display you can really see a big difference between Hordak and everyone else.

I think the main culprit there is Horde Prime, that head looks terrible. I found this on the org and am tempted to give it a go while I'm on holiday.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?226725-Horde-Prime-head-repaint

Looks a bit tricky though, the most I've ever attempted before now is repainting the flat ab piece on a Hurricane Hordak.

If the 90's taught us anything is that huge shoulder pads look like ****. Horde Prime is a turd of a figure.

Back