Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though Snout Spout was never a favorite of mine,
I think the 4H turned it into one of the most bad-ass characters from MOTU with their 200x rendition, so that's why I honestly think that just like Grizzlor, and Clawful to some extent, this is a step backwards... Matty shouldn't ban the 200x look if it makes the figure better...
Here's how I'll try to customize my Spout... sorry for the crappy PS

picture.php

Yeah I gotta agree there. The 200x staction was An immense improvement on what has to be the cruddiest character ever made anywhere. The body armor that he had was nice too.

lol at the PoP fans talk. I really should frequent Heman.org more often...

I have no problem with PoP fans. I don't get why it's so horrible that it's a "girls" line or why liking it is "creepy".

You know what really annoys me? Fans saying the Evil Horde are POP...or were made for POP...Baloney! if thats true,why were the Horde in the Massters of the Universe first,along with the fact they are the same size toys with MOTU...unlike the awfully sculpted and scaled POP

Well actually, Filmation and Mattel worked very close together on the creation of the Horde. Some recent art has surface to support this. There's some truly wicked cool Filmation Horde concept illustrations dated the same time as the Mattel stuff. From what I understand, The Horde were always gonna be in the POP cartoon but in the MOTU toyline.

I have no problem with PoP fans. I don't get why it's so horrible that it's a "girls" line or why liking it is "creepy".

I personally would never used the terms 'horrible' or 'creepy' to describe the die hard POP fans.
My argument has always been about the cool factor. ie Sweet Bee.
Call her what you like, but cool ain't one of em! ;)

Well actually, Filmation and Mattel worked very close together on the creation of the Horde. Some recent art has surface to support this. There's some truly wicked cool Filmation Horde concept illustrations dated the same time as the Mattel stuff. From what I understand, The Horde were always gonna be in the POP cartoon but in the MOTU toyline.

Indeed, during PowerCon Larry DiTillio mentioned that during a panel...

I just did my MOTU Create-a-Character...it has no chance of winning :)

Though Snout Spout was never a favorite of mine,
I think the 4H turned it into one of the most bad-ass characters from MOTU with their 200x rendition, so that's why I honestly think that just like Grizzlor, and Clawful to some extent, this is a step backwards... Matty shouldn't ban the 200x look if it makes the figure better...
Here's how I'll try to customize my Spout... sorry for the crappy PS

picture.php
the end of the trunk looks like a ..........

you have to realize that there are people out there (like me) who don't like anything about the 200x line of figures. so i don't think any of them are better. i like my Snout Spout, Grizzlor, Buzz-off, and Clawful exactly the way they are.

This is enough Imp for me and if we can avoid Lookie too, all the better.

:exactly:
I have to agree, since I don't want those goofy little characters (though I might make an exception for Kowl if he looks good, since I have Bow for him to go along with). I was only mentioning the Imp, Kowl, Lookie (I highly dislike Lookie to put it lightly) combo as an improvement over the price and lack of interest in the Sub Sisters.

There's a lot of really cool Horde designs that where only on PoP really. I wouldn't mind getting Octavia and Scorpia and am glad we got Catra. I'd rather have Mosquitor and Mantenna first though. I also really want a Horde emblazoned Rattlor and Tung Lashor though, and that's from PoP.

I think some POP characters could translate well like Scorpia and Octavia as they are monster girls. Frosta at a push as she is an ice queen. But the rest, are just not MOTU material in my opinion.

:goodpost:
I'm looking forward to Mantenna, and Mosquitor, and would like Scorpia, Octavia, and Frosta too. Other than the last three PoP girls mentioned and maybe Huntara, I can't really think of any other PoP characters I'd want (Glimmer, Angela and some of the other bright colored characters are a pass for me).

On the other hand, have no interest in Entrapa. Even the way she looked in the cartoon is pretty boring/silly. Hell even if it was more like something like this I wouldn't have much interest, as well done this design is.

entrapa200x.jpg

Is anyone here doing the MOTU Create-A-Contest???

After the contest deadline or when they announce the winner..I'd love to see what everyone submitted

Maybe if there was also like a $10k prize or something it might be kind of worth it, but even that you only get that if you win so you're still doing what basically amounts to spec-work which I stopped doing back in my early 20s (30 now).

$10k isn't even that much. I can't believe they're not offering any cash prize to the winner. Although I think there's some legal hoops you have to jump through to offer cash prizes so that might be part of it… but still.

I might sound like a jackass but I don't do unpaid work.

Ha! Well my character only took a half hour to draw,so no big deal to me.....

I am no artist,so it does not bother me whether I win or Not....(Too Many Ego's in here?)

I figured I'd try...and if you do Win,you get a figure of your character made in the 30th lineup,plus a case of 24,and a 2013 Subscription

5 Winners get a FREE 2013 subscription,it doesn't hurt trying...

It's not an ego thing. It's just that it's my job. It would be like asking a brick layer to build a wall for free. There's this BS with artists (including writers, designers, etc) where people expect you to work for free and you're sort of trained going into the field to work for free. There's this whole "for your portfolio" mindset you're hammered into and a lot of companies take advantage of young artists.

There's fortunately also a lot of people in the industry writing about it to try to inform young designers of their right to request pay for work. In Dreams With Teeth Harlan Elison also does a pretty good tirade on the whole phenomenon.

For me it does hurt trying. That's time I could have spent working on something else for actual pay. This may also sound odd, but I only have a limited amount of creativity and sort of "use it up' when working. So it's not just the time, but the sap on my creative institution.

I'm also at a place in my life where if I'm working, I HAVE to get paid. I recently had to pass up a conceptual design gig on a low budget horror film just because they couldn't pay me what I needed to get paid for the time. It sucked because I really wanted to work on the project but the time/money equation meant I wasn't going to be able to pay my bills.

I'm not saying doing a design for this contest would cause me to fall into bankruptcy or anything. What it comes down to is that I just simply do not work for free anymore. It's partly because of actual real-world financial reasons and partly because of personal ideals and beliefs on the subject.

What about the average Joe,who can Draw somewhat,but nowhere near like someone like Eamon,and then just wants to submit a character into a contest in hopes maybe you'll be one of the 5 winners chosen?...I can understand your point,for me its just doodling on a piece of paper and not really caring that much :) Win or Lose,or I wasted a half hour of my time drawing...don't care :)

If you're not a professional or what to be a professional than I guess it's worthwhile.

Back