Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What retailers have them in stock?

There seems to be a store located in Germany that received their shipments and posted a video on instagram. You can order them now via them apparently.
https://instagram.com/spacefiguren?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=18i8ux7x97dfn

Also PlanetEternia has some nice close up images of the figures that were sent to them from someone who received theirs.
https://twitter.com/PlanetEternia/status/1088801187376316416?s=19

They were all toy commercials, the only difference was after Transformers and GI Joe did their movies in 1986 and 1987 respectively their lines continued even though there were questionable changes made in those films. After the He-Man film in 1987 that was pretty much the end of that version of the He-Man Universe and a reboot with New Adventures. GI Joe continues with the collectors club but it is a shame that it seems like Hasbro's focus is on Transformers, Marvel and Star Wars and the line that started it all is just waiting for another film.

The movie wasn't why the line ended. It's much more complicated than that.

Exactly! It doesn't matter what Lou wanted, it was all about money and selling toys like everything else is. These things are not made for our charity :lol It's a business like everything else,We just bought into it

You are missing my point. Why the cartoon was made and what it ended up being are two different things. The end result was cartoon that had strong moral core and proper sword and sorcery fantasy story telling.
TF had zero story. Why did the Transforners want Energon for exactly? It was never explained. It was just a disposable nonscensical gimmick to create a story. The movie was ONLY made to launch new toys as it cynically killed off main characters within the first few minutes specifically to push the new toys coming out later that year. Watch the GI Joe movie and count how many times a product is mentioned. In both these shows and their movies the story telling took a back seat to advertising the toys.
That is just not so with MOTU where story telling was paramount and again, hardly any of the toys were even featured. To say the MOTU cartoon was just another cartoon made to sell toys is not really fair or really accurate.

You are missing my point. Why the cartoon was made and what it ended up being are two different things. The end result was cartoon that had strong moral core and proper sword and sorcery fantasy story telling.
TF had zero story. Why did the Transforners want Energon for exactly? It was never explained. It was just a disposable nonscensical gimmick to create a story. The movie was ONLY made to launch new toys as it cynically killed off main characters within the first few minutes specifically to push the new toys coming out later that year. Watch the GI Joe movie and count how many times a product is mentioned. In both these shows and their movies the story telling took a back seat to advertising the toys.
That is just not so with MOTU where story telling was paramount and again, hardly any of the toys were even featured. To say the MOTU cartoon was just another cartoon made to sell toys is not really fair or really accurate.

What I said was that the line ended after the movie, not because of it. I watch the Toys That Made Us episode everyday literally and for them to go from a mega million dollar selling line in 1986 to a couple of million in 1987 to pretty much non-existent in 1988 and New Adventures in 1989 would sound like the end of the line, wouldn't you agree?

Now as for which show had better morals that sounds more like an opinion than a fact but this is the internet. If switching the main character of the show from being Adam to Adora wasn't to sell toys then there is something wrong here. Energon was what powered the Transformers themselves but you'd be crazy to say it wasn't a deus ex-machina. But, the "Secrets of Castle Grayskull" was also a deus ex-machina, even though we all know it was just an American flag in the basement. ;P

As a 40 something I find it hard to watch any of these 80's shows these days due to poor animation and poor stories, yes He-Man had both. As a child I loved them but as an adult I can see the point of them and that was to sell toys and entertain kids. It doesn't make them bad shows and they were great when we were kids but to say He-Man wasn't a big toy commercial and GI Joe and Transformers were I would have to disagree. The only shows that were not blatant toy commercials were the shows from Japan like Voltron and Robotech as they were actual television shows, King of Beasts Go-Lion and Macross.

What I said was that the line ended after the movie, not because of it. I watch the Toys That Made Us episode everyday literally and for them to go from a mega million dollar selling line in 1986 to a couple of million in 1987 to pretty much non-existent in 1988 and New Adventures in 1989 would sound like the end of the line, wouldn't you agree?

Yes that is happened chronologically. Your original post read a it was as a result of the movie alone.

Now as for which show had better morals that sounds more like an opinion than a fact but this is the internet. If switching the main character of the show from being Adam to Adora wasn't to sell toys then there is something wrong here. Energon was what powered the Transformers themselves but you'd be crazy to say it wasn't a deus ex-machina. But, the "Secrets of Castle Grayskull" was also a deus ex-machina, even though we all know it was just an American flag in the basement. ;P

Aside from the Marvel movie adaption I've never seen the American flag reference so I'm not sure I quite get your point there. As for the morals, GI Joe did tag on random morals at the end but the MOTU stories were steeped in morals much to my annoyance and the end segment would discuss the moral of that story. Non eof the other show did this as far as I am aware./ I don't think it's just my opinion to say that MOTU was far more moral driven then any of the other "toy commercial cartoons".

As a 40 something I find it hard to watch any of these 80's shows these days due to poor animation and poor stories, yes He-Man had both. As a child I loved them but as an adult I can see the point of them and that was to sell toys and entertain kids. It doesn't make them bad shows and they were great when we were kids but to say He-Man wasn't a big toy commercial and GI Joe and Transformers were I would have to disagree. The only shows that were not blatant toy commercials were the shows from Japan like Voltron and Robotech as they were actual television shows, King of Beasts Go-Lion and Macross.

I can defo agree with you on the Voltron and Robotech being actual proper TV shows and the toys came from them and not the other way around. I recently tried watching the GI Joe Movie (something I loved as a kid) and I couldn't do it. Far too much overt cheesy American patriotism, toy mentions and just all a bit noisey and crude. I tried Thundercats and couldn't get through it as it was just dull (but I hear it improves). I can just about stomach the TF movie but the series? now way. MOTU on the other hand I can watch. Especially some of the better episodes written my Paul Dini and J. Michael Straczynski which had proper good stories and story telling. I also think the animation though more limited was cleaner and bolder as well as the music and voice acting being far better. As lets not forget MOTU is 100% American made. Even the animation cels of the Filmation stuff is vastly superior in quality. And of course we know what killed Filmation in the end. Anyways I do think MOTU cartoon is infinitely more watchable...and that is indeed my opinion and not a fact. :)

Saying all that, I recently just finished re-watching the 200x Mike Young MOTU toon and thats just great and was getting even greater. So sad. :(

GI Joe had a "Moral" message at the end of the episodes too...so your point on that is moot to me. They all were 20 minute toy commercials to sell toys.PERIOD. and We bought into it. To say the MOTU cartoons were made out of the kindness of Lou's heart and to give out a "moral" message is a bit naive.

GI Joe had a "Moral" message at the end of the episodes too...so your point on that is moot to me. They all were 20 minute toy commercials to sell toys.PERIOD. and We bought into it. To say the MOTU cartoons were made out of the kindness of Lou's heart and to give out a "moral" message is a bit naive.

Please read my posts more carefully.! ;)
I clearly said GI JOE had a moral message tagged at the end but were not build into the story like MOTU did. I never said Lou made them out of the 'kindness of his heart either", I just said he included morals and more traditional story telling to include those morals, he didn't need to do that but he did....and thus those cartoons were more than just mere toy commercials. This stuff is all the DVD interviews.

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a few of these figures to customize. Seems like they are quite expensive everywhere - are they no longer in production? Is there a good source for loose, not even complete MOTU Classic figures?

Thanks

Basically eBay. You can sometimes get some good rams there and Chinese sellers offer headless bodies.

29065168-4BDE-447F-8F3D-79AB90E2E9DF.jpg

Not my picture, found it on facebook. I will pick these up.

My 6 year old self would never believe this. I guess you really never can say 'never' when it comes to this stuff. Now I gotta go hunt down a Movie Blade after foolishly selling mine a couple years ago.

I don't really see Dolph there that much but who am I to complain. I kind of wish they would've placed that other head in a way to see it lol. It looks like they forgot about it and just threw it in the display.

Was ecstatic to see an official Conan figure until I noticed which design they went with. Sigh...

I don't really see Dolph there that much but who am I to complain. I kind of wish they would've placed that other head in a way to see it lol. It looks like they forgot about it and just threw it in the display.

I think that's intentional. They're calling the line the William Stout collection as they're obviously based on his designs for the movie.

I gather doing it this way allows them to produce the figures without having to secure additional licensing for actor's likeness. Either way they look fantastic and I'll be grabbing the whole wave. I suppose I gotta nab Gwildor...lol

Back