Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's weird, I ordered DOS and got shipping notification the next day. Aren't subscribers supposed to get their figures sent out first?

LOL! Another reason why I'm done. The same old shipping issues, same old Digital River. History surely repeats itself in this regard.

Its the only way it should be done. Fully articulated 1/6 Filmation style MOtU figures? Yes please.
ThreeZero would have earned my money for the TMnT line had they been 80's/90's movie style, not the new gen trash.

We are living in one of the most nostalgic eras right now. There are no needs to reimagine characters. Stick to the source material and watch the cash flow in.
Actually, I'm glad they are trying something different. I like the classics too but after awhile it gets old, and boring. Granted, updates don't always work but when they do it's a breath of fresh air.

The Masters of the Universe special edition of The Hottoycast with my guest host Mat O'Toole and special guest Stjepan Šejić is now available to download. We discuss MOTU in the high-end arena, the new movie and the brand in general. It's a good one and is up on iTunes now, later on usual outlets or get direct feed. feed://www.eamonart.com/PODCASTS/podcast.xml]] Hot-Toycast-logo-MOTU.jpg

Snake Mountain is going to be reduced in size by 10-20% according to Mattel.

LOL!

Shocker!

Maybe it's time for another petition? Ha ha.

Snake Mountain is going to be reduced in size by 10-20% according to Mattel.

LOL!

Shocker!

Maybe it's time for another petition? Ha ha.

I'm good with that. They said they were going to anyways. At the SDCC scale, I would have no where to house it. As long as it is larger than Castle Grayskull right? Skeletor's Throne better be included and fit inside a playset area.

I'm good with that. They said they were going to anyways. At the SDCC scale, I would have no where to house it. As long as it is larger than Castle Grayskull right? Skeletor's Throne better be included and fit inside a playset area.

:goodpost: They made it perfectly clear that SM would be downsized and I'm happy with that. International postage for Castle Grayskull was over $100, I dread to think how much the version shown at SDCC would cost to ship!

Wow, some think it's too big? LOL! One would think fans would be demanding they leave it big since we were all pretty much jerked with CG's size. Now suddenly nobody has space. LOL! Plenty of room to buy another 2 years worth of figures, but no space for a SM at the size it is now. Incredible. :) I just love the, "Whatever Mattel wants to do is okay by me" attitude. To each their own. I guess I'll just have to disagree on that opinion.

As to why they really want to scale it down, I'd say they want it to fit in the same size box as CG. Based on the side by side pics I've seen of SM and CG, It looked WIDER than CG. What I mean is, if SM were split in two halves, one half looks WIDER than CG closed. Also, with the peak attachment removed SM almost looks taller than CG.

With all that said, I can see why they would want to make it smaller. Between 10-20% seems a little to much to me though. If they scale it down too much, the figures will definitely look ridiculous on it. What they should do is scale down PARTS of it, not the whole thing. That gate at the top of the mountain peek, the bridge and the platform with the prisoner chains among other areas really shouldn't be reduced in size IMO. That little bridge is already well, too little.

I'm getting the feeling the price of SM is going to be more than $300. Any more than $325 is just a bad idea IMO. I mean, they want to sell these right? Not too many people are going to throw down almost $400 for SM.

I'm only picking up 3 of the figures being released next year. I have had numerous problems with Matty and DR over the years, just like most people. However I walk into my office and look at the 100+ awesome figures and vehicles in my collection and try to focus on the enjoyment this line has given me, rather than the numerous problems which led me to skip releases! Although I agree with you that they should ensure they dont scale down SM too much, and if they do I'd skip it.

Damn! Was I the only one who thought grayskull was too small? When I saw this I thought how awesome it was at this scale. Now they're nerfing it. It's a mountain! It should feel like one! If this gets too small, ie the size of grayskull, I'm passing.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but if SM ends up being the same size as CG when closed, except the only difference is a snap on mountain peak making it taller, I just might pass on it too. The size it is now is just passing IMO, any major reduction in size will throw it out of proportion, AND be too small for 7" (actual size more like 6") figures.

The Masters of the Universe special edition of The Hottoycast with my guest host Mat O'Toole and special guest Stjepan Šejić is now available to download. We discuss MOTU in the high-end arena, the new movie and the brand in general. It's a good one and is up on iTunes now, later on usual outlets or get direct feed. feed://www.eamonart.com/PODCASTS/podcast.xml]]View attachment 198440

I'll check it out tonight for sure!

Yep, they said that at the panel!
Honestly whoever thinks the proto size is practical or even possible at a reasonable price range and shipping costs is completely delusional... Seriously...
I mean:

00_MOTUC00__scaled_600.jpg

SDCC-2015-Mattel-MOTU-Snake-Mountain-002.jpg

Last edited:
I'll check it out tonight for sure!

Yep, they said that at the panel!
Honestly whoever thinks the proto size is practical or even possible at a reasonable price range and shipping costs is completely delusional... Seriously...
I mean:

00_MOTUC00__scaled_600.jpg

SDCC-2015-Mattel-MOTU-Snake-Mountain-002.jpg

Then I guess the 4H are pretty delusional. I mean, why would they spend valuable time and resources to sculpt a prototype at the size they did if not because they either thought it was an acceptable scale or Mattel told them to make it that size? Personally, I don't see how selling it AND shipping it at the size it is now is unrealistic.

Yeah, So Mattel said they would scale it down at SDCC. Big deal. Now nobody can accuse them of a bait and switch, it was damage control. What they didn't say is HOW MUCH they would scale it down, and 10-20% is just ridiculous. Hell, we don't even know how much it will be, that should be another zinger. significant reduction in size and probably priced at nearly $400, which is way too much. Even $300 for CG is too much, which is why they sit in a warehouse to this day.

Nothing has changed, it all boils down to how much they can cost cut the thing, and how much they can gouge for it, only this time with an Obama like promise (illusion) of transparency.

It would be awesome if Snake Mountain could remain that size, but I doubt it is very practical. I just don't think enough people would be willing to pay for it at that size. I would rather have a smaller version than no version at all. I think they could downsize it a little and it would still be massive and could look really great. Hopefully when they downsize, they will do it in such a way that they make sure all of the elements still fit in well with 7" figures.

It would be awesome if Snake Mountain could remain that size, but I doubt it is very practical. I just don't think enough people would be willing to pay for it at that size. I would rather have a smaller version than no version at all. I think they could downsize it a little and it would still be massive and could look really great. Hopefully when they downsize, they will do it in such a way that they make sure all of the elements still fit in well with 7" figures.

That's interesting because we haven't been given any info as to how much it will actually cost to buy it. Mattel is basically saying they want to downsize the play set so people can afford it, which suggests that if it were to remain the size it is now, it would cost way too much for most people to buy. I think it's BS and they really just want to cost cut it and keep the price jacked up; because there is no reason why it couldn't be sold for right around $300-$325 at the size it is now, especially since CG originally sold for $50 less than what it's priced at now.

I also think Mattel's "Space" excuse was just another lame attempt to rationalize why they want to make it smaller. People who buy these things HAVE to expect that they may need to rearrange furniture or build shelves to accommodate the size of such things.

With this line, I don't think cost has ever been an issue with MOST customers. The success of the line is proof of that. There are people participating in .org polls right now who are literally condoning a $400 price point for Snake Mountain with a size reduction. So again, I believe most MOTUC collectors have deep pockets. Which could also explain why many fans don't make the lack of quality vs. value an issue because money is no object to some.

"I would rather have a smaller version than no version at all."

...and that is exactly what Mattel is counting on. ;)

" I think they could downsize it a little and it would still be massive and could look really great. Hopefully when they downsize, they will do it in such a way that they make sure all of the elements still fit in well with 7" figures."

I agree and hope they find a decent compromise.

Exactly,
I for one think this playset will be kick-ass!
Cannot wait to see the hopefully final proto around NYCC

That's interesting because we haven't been given any info as to how much it will actually cost to buy it. Mattel is basically saying they want to downsize the play set so people can afford it, which suggests that if it were to remain the size it is now, it would cost way too much for most people to buy. I think it's BS and they really just want to cost cut it and keep the price jacked up; because there is no reason why it couldn't be sold for right around $300-$325 at the size it is now, especially since CG originally sold for $50 less than what it's priced at now.

I also think Mattel's "Space" excuse was just another lame attempt to rationalize why they want to make it smaller. People who buy these things HAVE to expect that they may need to rearrange furniture or build shelves to accommodate the size of such things.

With this line, I don't think cost has ever been an issue with MOST customers. The success of the line is proof of that. There are people participating in .org polls right now who are literally condoning a $400 price point for Snake Mountain with a size reduction. So again, I believe most MOTUC collectors have deep pockets. Which could also explain why many fans don't make the lack of quality vs. value an issue because money is no object to some.

"I would rather have a smaller version than no version at all."

...and that is exactly what Mattel is counting on. ;)

" I think they could downsize it a little and it would still be massive and could look really great. Hopefully when they downsize, they will do it in such a way that they make sure all of the elements still fit in well with 7" figures."

I agree and hope they find a decent compromise.

I am not sure I am cool with Mattel reducing SM 20%....I don't want SM being the same Size as CG

From what I've heard they are going to do their best not to go all the way down to 20%. The thing I worry most about is when they start messing with it, I don't want to end up with an issue like Grayskull where some elements seem clearly undersized from the way they were meant to be (like the jail cell walls and door) and it ends up just feeling odd with the figures. I will be honest, though, I'd be totally happy with it being smaller. Something that big isn't going to be that practical for a lot of people. I'd be happy if Snake Mountain (sans the top gate) was about the height of Grayskull, and then the extra height is just the top gate part.

I guess I feel a wee bit more confident that Mattel engineering won't mess it all up because the new guys they have on board seem more competent than some of the stuff that was going on before. But it does still make me nervous.

Back