Marylin Monroe Star Ace review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
The number of wonderful female figures we've been getting the last couple years has been amazing. Star Ace adds another with their Marylin Monroe, based on the film Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. They have two variations, and I'm checking out the pink dress release tonight:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-092517a.htm

You can also find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

review_mmonroe_large.jpg

I was wondering what happened with this. The head looks a liiiittle better; I think the thicker makeup helps, but it still doesn't look good.

Is it just me or is the hairline on the one side very off and sloppily done? It looks like her skin is going up into her hair.

For $200....that's just....

I feel like I've been negative on Star Ace the few times I've commented recently and I hate being that way because I often feel others are a bit too critical sometimes (not on SA, but more in general), but come on. What's going on with this company?

I think you're being really generous with the head sculpt. The expression they went with is weird, it looks like she smells or sees something gross dying. The head also looks shiny, especially compared to the decidedly dull body. It reminds me of some custom figures where you can obviously tell that the skin tones don't match up.

I agree that the head sculpt doesn't match the body in tone, the difference in shine, and the texture doesn't match, either. The body is too smooth and devoid of texture compared to the head. From a distance or not in a close up, clear photo, it might not look as bad, but it stands out in all the pics in the review.

I think they had a good prototype hs but Monroe's estate didn't approve so they went with a bad sculpt?

Its an odd sculpt because you can tell who it is, all the points have been hit, signature hair, doey eyes ect....but at the same time it looks nothing like her. Looks like someone in cosplay.

It's a brave choice to do a 'what if?' Sculpt.
But yeah, if she lived another 10yrs and then got a ton of Botox then this would be pretty spot on.

from a distance, Marilyn looks decent and I do like the work on the dress... but the closer you get to the headsculpt, the paint app work could have been done much better.

the most disappointing part are Marilyn's eyes - it's hard to describe, but it doesn't have the twinkle that some other figures have with their lifelike eyes. Marilyn has a dead zombie stare... it's hard to believe this is the same company that gave us Hermione.

I know it's an unfair comparison, but this Marilyn sculpt pales in comparison to blitzway's 1/4 statue... despite my gripes with the final product, I'm going to keep my preorder since there are no other 1/6 Marilyn alternatives in this iconic outfit.

from a distance, Marilyn looks decent and I do like the work on the dress... but the closer you get to the headsculpt, the paint app work could have been done much better.

the most disappointing part are Marilyn's eyes - it's hard to describe, but it doesn't have the twinkle that some other figures have with their lifelike eyes. Marilyn has a dead zombie stare... it's hard to believe this is the same company that gave us Hermione.

I know it's an unfair comparison, but this Marilyn sculpt pales in comparison to blitzway's 1/4 statue... despite my gripes with the final product, I'm going to keep my preorder since there are no other 1/6 Marilyn alternatives in this iconic outfit.

K.A Kim is the sculptor for Star Ace Hermione and Blitzway Marilyn; hence, the sculpts were extraordinary! Not this Star Ace’s Marilyn though. They didn’t even bother to match her skin tone of her body to her face!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a horrid sculpt. Can understand why you scored it so high.

You and me both man! That sculpt is absolutely horrible along with the crappy paint. It literally looks like some sort of cheap knock off that was painted by someone with zero skills. I am completely amazed at that bogus review!

SA do need to work on their paint jobs, the faces look flat all the time. Selene, Katniss, this.....all terribly cheap painted sculpts.

Back