Marvel Famous Covers "Megos"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to LOVE these figures. I had every one of them. This line also played a big part of some of my first forays into customizing... Wish I still had pics! I did Torch, Punisher, Venom, Peter Parker, a better version of Wolverine, and the one I was most proud of- Thing. I took a Hulk body, shortened it a bit, and then individually suclpted all of his little rocks. Took forever, but I was really happy with him for years.

Ah, the golden days of Toy Biz...

Sallah

I used to LOVE these figures. I had every one of them. This line also played a big part of some of my first forays into customizing... Wish I still had pics! I did Torch, Punisher, Venom, Peter Parker, a better version of Wolverine, and the one I was most proud of- Thing. I took a Hulk body, shortened it a bit, and then individually suclpted all of his little rocks. Took forever, but I was really happy with him for years.

Ah, the golden days of Toy Biz...

Sallah

I had a lot of these figures too, as I am a MEGO fan. They kind of lost their appeal after I got into Hot Toys, but they were really all that was available in the market at that time. Did you keep your figures Sallah? I sold mine off for pennies on the dollar just to clear shelf space.

Spiderman-Series 1
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man
Hulk
Dr Doom

are the best of the bunch in this line...some (like Iron Man) command somewhat higher prices on ebay

Hasbro's version of both Spidey and Cap were miles better. Now Hasbro's Spider-man

320476491_b8fd90e4e7.jpg

opted for a scuplted Spider-man head, so if you wanted the secret ID Peter ParKer head with the cloth mask of Toy Biz's figues:
spiderman(fc).jpg

then you might disagree.

But there's no way pin headed, constipated, yelling Cap with the malformed Star

NCeeYj4h_8E

Is a better figure than Hasbros Version:
902cap

I'll give you Hulk and Iron man. In fact that whole wave,

Hulk
hulk_famous_cover_marvel.jpg

Iron Man
Marvel+Famous+Covers+052.jpg

Vision
Vision+3sdtb.jpg

and Hawkeye
Famous+Covers+Hawkeye+&+Avengers+034sdtb.JPG

Was probably the best 4 figures in the line.

Last edited:
I had a lot of these figures too, as I am a MEGO fan. They kind of lost their appeal after I got into Hot Toys, but they were really all that was available in the market at that time. Did you keep your figures Sallah? I sold mine off for pennies on the dollar just to clear shelf space.

I actually gave mine to my sons and nephews... Even the customs. :) They have a blast with them!

Sallah

Also being a collector of these (still in crawlspace but soon to be released to my 4 year old), and seeing these pictures, I really hope that I never actually ever thought these looked good. Hopefully it was nostalgia of my mego childhood days. I don't know how I'm going to explain to my daughter on why Spider-Man is wearing oven mitts.

Also being a collector of these (still in crawlspace but soon to be released to my 4 year old), and seeing these pictures, I really hope that I never actually ever thought these looked good. Hopefully it was nostalgia of my mego childhood days. I don't know how I'm going to explain to my daughter on why Spider-Man is wearing oven mitts.

Hots Toys has spoiled us.

Remember these were TOYS, meant to be played with,
not posable pieces of art the be on display.

As toys they have a kitchsy sort of appeal, they certianly aren't up to snuff in reguards to what Hot Toys or Sideshow put out from a realism standpoint, but they were never meant to. I enjoy them for what they are and still wish Toy Biz had done the Human Torch, The Thing, Colossus, Yellowjacket, Luke Cage, Angel and a few others.

of course it was,that was what the line was based off- the old Mego's

I remember before the Famous Covers even came out,calling toybiz (since they had the Marvel license) suggesting to make 8" mego figures through there customer service line.I also spoke to a rep and I suggested they change Iron Man to having Fabric underneath the armor,since the prototype was full on plastic...Not saying I was the sole influence,but they listened to the feedback I gave and they were a blast to chat with.

Also we were suppose to get Dr.Strange,The Thing,Human Torch and Beast

I have every single one. Including the X-Men movie, and the X-Men Evolution figures. I don't think they are crap. They are what they are. They were quality figures that resembled the MEGO 8". And if I am correct, they only ranged between $10-20.

I think I even have the DC versions of the reto megos that came out @ 10 years ago.

Back