Mars Toys 1/6 Willy Wonka and Oompa Loompa set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boat ride fascinated and confused me as a kid. I had absolutely no idea what I was seeing. It just seemed like everything was ‘grown up’ or taboo and I wasn’t meant to be allowed to see it and the fact I was seeing all this creepy imagery meant I was getting away with something naughty and not meant for my young eyes. My little brother would crap his pants and I’d just be smiling waiting for that shrieking scream.

Maybe he made it more enjoyable for me by being so scared. Have you ever sat next to someone on a rollercoaster who’s having an absolute melt-down? That’s so entertaining you forget you’re even on the ride because all you can focus on is them.

Nothing scary. Just disturbingly weird.
Its part if when you see them , and how at certain ages things are impressionable.

High fantasy involving child dangers can mess a kid ip at the wrong age.

Wonka has been a film that has grown with me. Throughout my life, this film has morphed and changed and been great at all the different stages of life.

1. Young Child: First introduced to the film in grade school. We had one teacher who rewarded student behavior with movies on Fridays. WW was one of them. Upper classmen discussed the chicken beheading scene as if it were secret forbidden knowledge....and everyone waited with baited breath for they moment. The sheer fantasy of a child our own age being benevolent enough to earn a chocolate factory and save his family , was inspiring and magical.

2. Young Adult: Re discovered 15 years later, in fever dream drug delirium on late night TV. The swirling mass of color and insanity peaked those high times, add in the fact you could devour chocolate at will while being dazzled by song and dance of the oopma loompas made it a tantalizing treat for the senses .

3 Fast forward 20 more years and you see a film RIPE with social sarcasm, a madman millionaire insulting and screwing over his greedy "guests" with reckless abandon, in search of a single good deed in a weary world... The in your face commentary basically ignored at other ages , its the best part of the film.

My favorite quotes:

"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest man"

"You should open your mouth a little wider when you speak."

"Theres going to be alot of garbage today"

"Well that furnace is lit only every other day so shes got a good sporting chance".

"Help Police?"

Any feedback from Mars regarding alternate "Dwarf" (Ooompa) head sculpts?

I decided to buy 2 x 2 Packs (Wonka & Ooompas) and one extra Ooompa - for a total of 3 Ooompas.

I will probably pose the extra Wonka like the promo pick without his jacket, using his magnifying glass to look at the golden ticket (although i think in the movie, he was examining a contract Charlie signed).

Any feedback from Mars regarding alternate "Dwarf" (Ooompa) head sculpts?

I decided to buy 2 x 2 Packs (Wonka & Ooompas) and one extra Ooompa - for a total of 3 Ooompas.

I will probably pose the extra Wonka like the promo pick without his jacket, using his magnifying glass to look at the golden ticket (although i think in the movie, he was examining a contract Charlie signed).
You can’t say that.

He’s a vertically impeded, ex-president shaded, forest-haired, mythical native, in a culturally appropriate white and brown outfit.

PO'd both the set and an extra Oompa. An alternative sculpt would be a bonus but I don't count on it.

giphy.gif

I find the whole of CCBB creepy, as with the original The Wizard of Oz, or probably any version of The Wizard of Oz.

There's good creepy, like Cesar Romero's Joker, and bad creepy that I'd rather have erased from existence, or at least from memory. :monkey3

Speaking of Batman '66, I wish Mars had maintained their focus on it, and not diverged so quickly into making everything else under the sun.

:impatient:
Return to Oz freaked me out massively as a kid, so did the never ending story. Yet they were meant for children back then

Mars toys is doing what Hot Toys used to do. Sideshow at least delves into other characters. It seems Hot TOys just do Marvel and DC and forgot other things that exist.

Their loss is ours and Mars's gain. Hoping for a regular Adam West and Burt Ward in their house attire.

Star Wars is okay but just so much. Maybe those troopers sell like hot cakes, but how many slightly differnt colored variations do you need? It's probably much cheaper to make because no facial details are needed and bare minimum body mods.

THey don't seem to do too many other properties outside of Disney's Properties or DC. Eventually people will tire if not already. If it's anything like Hasbro, only classic characters, both Marvel and Star Wars sells.

Back