Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

You will. Because I don't hate Zack, and I'm not against a sequel. I'll probably see it.

We could keep going back and fourth with this all day Irish... but that will always be an issue for me. A fairly big issue. Because i'm not sure how i'm supposed to feel during that end scene.

For years, the notion in the mainstream is that Superman is "boring" because he's too all-powerful, and too "lame" because he's a 100% uncompromising boy scout. Zack and others wanted to address this from the start... by showing a Superman that isn't there yet. He's not an omnipotent boy scout. Let's see how he gets there, warts and all. And let's see how his existence, actions and decisions have consequences... both for himself, and the entire world. And how that helps shape him, too. I, for one, find that pretty darn interesting.

I love this argument, and not to sound like a Marvel fanboy, but it's a serious cop out considering that you don't get more milktoast and pure than a character like Captain America. And even with the grittier, much more realistic version from the Ultimates that Marvel could've gone with, they still chose to show their character the way he was originally meant to be portrayed. With good writing and a sound script, things like that are accomplished.

Also, many recent superhero movies (not just SPIDER-MAN) have gone with the "With great power comes great responsibility" theme. It's about time a series does more than just say that... it'll show it.

Superman saves the world at the end of MAN OF STEEL. But he also fails on a couple of levels. In this film, he's not even sure he can trust humans. He just knows what Zod is doing is wrong. And he sets out to stop him. That's his goal. He ends up killing Zod, and there is collateral damage. We're going to see the ramifications of that and how he learns from it and how he becomes that iconic 100% selfless Superman that would even give up his own life for a bad guy's. But he's not there yet. I'm fine with that.

Technically he is correct.
Only one outcome can come true in this reality.
But its funny :)

Also, many recent superhero movies (not just SPIDER-MAN) have gone with the "With great power comes great responsibility" theme. It's about time one actually does more than just say that... it shows it.

Superman saves the world at the end of MAN OF STEEL. But he also fails on a couple of levels. In this film, he's not even sure he can trust humans. He just knows what Zod is doing is wrong. And he sets out to stop him. That's his goal. He ends up killing Zod, and there is collateral damage. We're going to see the ramifications of that and how he learns from it and how he becomes that iconic 100% selfless Superman that would even give up his own life for a bad guy's. But he's not there yet.

:goodpost::exactly:

Also, many recent superhero movies (not just SPIDER-MAN) have gone with the "With great power comes great responsibility" theme. It's about time one actually does more than just say that... it shows it.

Superman saves the world at the end of MAN OF STEEL. But he also fails on a couple of levels. In this film, he's not even sure he can trust humans. He just knows what Zod is doing is wrong. And he sets out to stop him. That's his goal. He ends up killing Zod, and there is collateral damage. We're going to see the ramifications of that and how he learns from it and how he becomes that iconic 100% selfless Superman that would even give up his own life for a bad guy's. But he's not there yet.

:exactly::goodpost::lecture

Loved the film, liked it far more than any of the Nolan Batman films. I thought the changes to the character and the inclusion of the heavy Sci-Fi element (finally!) were welcome additions. I didn't even have a problem with the climax with Zod (although the filmmakers could have inserted that before the Phantom Zone moment and saved the whole Zod controversy but whatever) because it showed that Superman will do what must be done, and he has killed before even on screen. I think as the film franchise continues it'll be something that weighs on him and even gives him a drive to become that boy scout we all know and love because he never wants to go there again. I can't wait for the next installment and really hope that we go further than a trilogy with these characters.

The film itself while long did feel like there was odd placements like the Daily Planet staff who we never really got a chance to know nevertheless care about during that scene so I wonder if there is an even longer version on the cutting room floor that we'll eventually get. I'd love to see a 3-3.5 hour version of this with everything filled in.

Or you know, maybe all that could've worked if he acknowledged that. Like at the end of Schindler's List. Oscar Schindler saved a lot of people..but all he wanted at the end was to save more. It could've been more clear. Is all i'm saying. IMO I suppose.

Irish have you seen the first or rough cut?

Yeah. There was an early cut around 3 hours. But it was odd because a lot of the FX weren't done yet, and he experimented with a more linear storyline. But that didn't really work because the script was designed with the flashback origin from the beginning and those scenes edited in sequence made the pacing far too stilted, so they quickly went back to the original idea of using the flashbacks.

Unlike Nolan, Zack has no problems with showing Deleted Scenes or producing Extended Cuts on DVD/Blu-ray. Hell, he even did that with SUCKER PUNCH. Rest assured, you will all see more of MAN OF STEEL.

Yeah. There was an early cut around 3 hours. But it was odd because A LOT of the FX weren't done yet.

Unlike Nolan, Zack has no problems with showing Deleted Scenes or producing Extended Cuts on DVD/Blu-ray. Hell, he even did that with SUCKER PUNCH. Rest assured, you will all see more of MAN OF STEEL.

Was it better then the theatrical cut?

Yeah. There was an early cut around 3 hours. But it was odd because a lot of the FX weren't done yet, and he experimented with a more linear storyline. But that didn't really work because the script was designed with the flashback origin from the beginning and those scenes edited in sequence made the pacing far too stilted, so they quickly went back to the original idea of using the flashbacks.

:yess: :yess: :yess: :yess: :yess:

Back