Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

Ok, wait a minute. You do realize the buildings didn't immedialtely topple during 911 and people were still trapped and killed once the building did fall. Shoot, just the building that fell when Perry and Jenny were street level would've killed hundreds because Superman "suddenly" flew threw it.

The excuses made for poor story telling is outta this world. So Superman is dumb, ok. But he's still good. So even a dummy who is inherently good, is still going to save people WHILE fighting Zod. If the theories are right, and he was indeed stronger than Zod at that point in time (strong enough to break his neck), then he should've also been able to save people in the midst of the battle. Superman has been doing that in the comics forever. It was one of the points made while fighting Doomsday. Not only was he fighting this creature that was in effect, stronger than him, but he was saving lives at the same time.

:slap:slap:slap

Superman flying through it didn't make the building collapse, it was zod, plus are you kidding? Zod can do way more damage than a Boeing, and I agree, the building should have killed many people, that doesn't add anything to you nonsensical point.

The excuses to hate this good storytelling are what are oxymoronic.

He wasn't extremely stronger than Zod, didn't you see how he got his *** handed to him? He only broke his neck cause he had Zod in arm lock, like it would happen in a regular human vs human fight, breaking necks is relatively easy.

The references to the Doomsday books are unrelated, he already was an archetypical Superman at that point, experienced, at his prime, no comparison whatsoever.

They could have added a little bit of a safety net for supes against the collateral backlash with a slow motion shot of him looking at the IHOP and quickly scanning the tables to make sure the landing zone is clear before getting slammed through the windows but what fun would that be.

Maybe people's brains just couldn't keep up with what was going on cause it was moving so fast but if you've ever been in a small town the local IHOP would not be packed with customers. Most people on my small town couldn't afford to go eat at IHOP for breakfast. They'd be home cooking their own eggs.

Gaspar: Superman flying through it didn't make the building collapse :snip:

The mistake you are making here is in thinking that DBOK is really interested in your opinion. He isn't, this is all just to draw you out so he can tell you you're wrong. No matter WHAT you said, he's still not going to agree with it.

If you laid out one argument, he disagreed with it and then a few posts down you reversed course and set out the same argument he just gave you, just phrased differently he'd post back about how that was wrong, too.

Have we forgotten all the lives that were lost in Superman the Movie or Superman II? Just cause we didn't witness blood and guys splattering everywhere doesn't mean he saved everyone. My God he even lost Lois in the first one. The only way to save her was to spin the earth backwards and reverse time? Come on! That sh** would never happen. He would have killed everyone on the planet! Tidal waves, earthquakes, floods? He'd have a much bigger mess to clean up after trying to pull a stunt like that.

Are you actually defending what he said? :slap

I don't know who he is or what you're referring to.

At the end of the day he was superman for about an hour before all this went down.

Fictional People died, it sucks, but he saved every other person on the planet so it wasn't in vain.

A) You were making the idiotic point that the buildings were empty. You just contradicted yourself.

B) If he wasn't stronger than Zod, then how does a farmboy who's never fought in his life (cause he couldn't) compete with genetically bred soldiers?

C) My comparison is sound. Even in the New 52 reboot, within his first year as Superman, he's still shown saving people while fighting, so you my friend, don't know wtf you're talking about.

A)The buildings were empty vs people in the street..... way to contradict myself, you need to learn how to read.

B) Did you even watch the movie? He had a LIFETIME to learn to control his senses and focus, by the time he had the suit he was only pushing his limits, while ZOD was learning while he was fighting against Supes...

C) You obviously don't read the new 52, plus you said in his 1st YEAR, this was his first DAYS of being Superman.

In the new 52 when Brainiac invaded Metropolis STEEL had to help Superman cause he couldn't deal with what was going down alone, plus he had to go to Brainiac's ship, imagine how many people would have died if STEEL wasn't down there?

You better know your comics if you think to try idiotic arguments like those.

Last edited:

Have we forgotten all the lives that were lost in Superman the Movie or Superman II? Just cause we didn't witness blood and guys splattering everywhere doesn't mean he saved everyone. My God he even lost Lois in the first one. The only way to save her was to spin the earth backwards and reverse time? Come on! That sh** would never happen. He would have killed everyone on the planet! Tidal waves, earthquakes, floods? He'd have a much bigger mess to clean up after trying to pull a stunt like that.

What people? He saved mostly everyone, and even the people Zod attacked, they ended up surviving. (Most people...anyway)

A) You were making the idiotic point that the buildings were empty. You just contradicted yourself.

B) If he wasn't stronger than Zod, then how does a farmboy who's never fought in his life (cause he couldn't) compete with genetically bred soldiers? Lazy writing.

C) My comparison is sound. Even in the New 52 reboot, within his first year as Superman, he's still shown saving people while fighting, so you my friend, don't know wtf you're talking about.

How can an outnumbered, outgunned, out supplied bunch of farmers defeat a military superpower trying to invade their land and enslave them to a tyrannical King thousands of miles across and ocean?

Something worth fighting for. Home.

Ok, that's cool. I had serious issues with Kal/Clark being treated as an absolute wierdo/freak while in Smallville. From what was portrayed, he was absolutely tormented by humans (even by his BEST FRIEND Pete) well into pubecense and probably further. They could've shown him at least interact with humans in a positive light during his upbringing, but they wanted to smash the point home that he isn't accepted anywhere. That, to me, flies in the face of how he suddenly puts on a suit, and is immediately the worlds protector and cares enough about the human race to extinguish his own, newly discovered one.

I mean, look at the joy on his face when he comes back to see his mother after the visit with Jor-El. He's absolutely elated because he feels like he finally belongs and knows who his real "people" are. His mother starts crying, and I'm waiting for Cavill to at least say something like "but you're the true mother I've known", or at least comfort her, knowing that she is losing her only son to the world. He just smiles at her and says "what?".....:slap

Agreed, i blame most of those on the pace.
Movie is trying too hard to fit everything there, it doesn't take the time to develop some aspects, to flesh them more but they are here.
Its true that you mostly see the bad side of his young years, but those looks by Lana and Pete's helping hand convey are there too.
And his Parents, i dunno i did not need to much scene to see that he was attached to them. When he had to choose between a dead race and humanity it did not feel forced to me.
But yes its too fast or light.

I don't remember exactly the dialogue between him and his mother but in the end i got the feeling that it was understood, he will always be there for her. The way he assault Zod screaming about his mom is clear to me.

How can an outnumbered, outgunned, out supplied bunch of farmers defeat a military superpower trying to invade their land and enslave them to a tyrannical King thousands of miles across and ocean?

Something worth fighting for. Home.

Gorilla tactics and homefield advantage. Plus comperable weapons technology.

"Something worth fighting for", didn't work out too well for indiginous people.

No, not interesting, not one bit.

:rotfl
Well, I thought it was interesting. More than the actual numbers, but that people seemed concerned enough out there to figure it up. I just think it's an interesting phenomenon that people are so hung up on it here. I know people might dismiss it as "complainers" or whatever, but it does seem to have struck a chord with people that it doesn't on a mindless Michael Bay film or something like Avengers. Does it have to do with presentation? Or that we didn't see enough evacuation? I don't know. In an odd way I think it's actually a credit to Snyder, who presented this world so fully that we actually are thinking about these things.

The attacks on WTC were sudden and afterwards the surrounding buildings were evacuated within minutes.

Not sure why you're pulling 9/11 in here? The article does do a comparison to the destruction there at the very end. Which I think is kind of silly and insulting, but the people running the numbers were not comparing it to 9/11. Did you just skim the article, see WTC, and assume they were talking about 9/11? Because the WTC they are talking about is Watson Technical Consulting. The people who ran the analyses. And if they are any good, they are figuring in the people who were able to flee in their estimate. They aren't assuming everyone is just sitting there dumbfounded.

Superman SAVED OVER SIX BILLION LIVES And it's unfortunate that the poor people at ground zero couldn't be saved.

This is ultimately the point, of course. :) I do find the discussion on the toll at the end interesting, but I think the explorations of the repercussions will be interesting, and I like this sequence much more for knowing they are going to deal with it in later movies.

Superman SAVED OVER SIX BILLION LIVES And it's unfortunate that the poor people at ground zero couldn't be saved.

:goodpost:

tumblr_lti76f3mvn1r4ghkoo1_500.gif

What people? He saved mostly everyone, and even the people Zod attacked, they ended up surviving. (Most people...anyway)

That's my point. We did not see anyone die in this one besides military. "Which is all a part of the plan" in joker voice. But its assumed. We didn't see anyone die in the originals but it is assumed that at least some people did. He couldn't have saved them all. It looked like it but I'm talking about what we didn't see and we didn't see civilians die in this one either. Not that I saw anyway.

Sure. But at least Reeves tried to save people. Cavill didn't even try to save anyone aside from Lois.

Back