Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

No more realistic caca for a Superman movie. I want to see a huge overblown action special effects laden epic!!! I want to see Superman and (insert villian) lay waste to city blocks in a battle so over the top it will make my eyes bleed.

Thats what I want.

Yes
I would be up for Superman VS Darkseid

Going to Marvel might not be such a bad thing.
I'm sure Disney would love to make a Superman Movie

I'm sure Marvel would love to have Superman but if you listen to the internet chatter, the bets are that the estates will sell him to whomever has the highest bid even if its a smaller publisher.

I'm sure Marvel would love to have Superman but if you listen to the internet chatter, the bets are that the estates will sell him to whomever has the highest bid even if its a smaller publisher.

I'd like to see exactly what DC owns that wouldn't be able to travel with the character to another publisher. Lex Luthor was a S/S creation, but could a new publisher depict him as the evil billionaire he is today? Or would they only be allowed to show him as a mad scientist? Jimmy Olsen is just DC isn't he? How many villains? Metallo, definitely Darkseid, Brainiac, just about all of them besides Luthor are DC. It just doesn't make sense to break up the character's history like that. Hopefully WB/DC will agree.

Okay. DC owns:

But that didn’t give them the full Superman copyright because DC owns other important elements like Superman’s ability to fly, the term kryptonite, the Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White characters, Superman’s vision powers and expanded origins, they own the modern interpretation of the "S" Shield.

So if the Estate moves him, they can't use this stuff. Although the flying there is probably creative ways around it.

The Estate of Siegel and Shuster own:

This means the Siegels now control depictions of Superman’s origins from the planet Krypton, his parents Jor-EL and Lora, Superman as the infant Kal-EL, the launching of the infant Superman into space by his parents as Krypton explodes and his landing on Earth in a fiery crash, the basis of the Superman character, including his costume, his alter-ego as reporter Clark Kent, the feisty reporter Lois Lane, their jobs at the Daily Planet newspaper working for a gruff editor, and the love triangle among Clark/Superman and Lois.

While villains and supporting characters aren't there if they went to Marvel for example, the stable is there and its not that concerning. They have an amazing amount of the recognizable parts of the character to make it work.

what that means people is superman could end up fighting the one and only badass himself the hulk.
hulk and superman going at it in a 2hr f--ing movie..

man...they better not take years to come out with a new superman movie!

i agree with most of u that we need superman to really fight a badass like darkseid!! that would be awesome!

i really hope the next movie doesn't take too long to be released and that it's better than superman returns!

the superman movie needs a bit of an overhaul! hopefully new writers is a good thing! things need to change to make it an epic movie!

I thought the first movie was weak and the whole having a kid he didn't know plot, didn't work for me.

I think they just need to restart the franchise again and forget the previous Supe movies existed similar to the Batman movies.

Well, DC Entertainment has no intentions to do anything with the Superman franchise. All the folks who were talking as if it were a certainty, Millar, McTeague, etc have all come out in recent time and said it was all "What Ifs" and conjecture. No one or nothing has been signed, even the information on sites like IMDB is seriously outdated. They have until 2011 to have something on the boards and in preproduction or else the Estates are going to sue the hell out of them, let's hope that writers are still going and pitching as a just in case measure or else it may be some time before we see anything on screen.

Maybe DC does not care about the Superman that most of us have grown up with, because a whole new generation has been brought up on Smallville?

I can foresee if DC loses the rights, that they will keep all the components of Superman that they do own, and will create a character based on those, and that the company that gets the other parts will create a character based on those parts, and there will essentially be two, completely different, incomplete Supermen running around. Would suck. DC needs to pay what they need to (right thing to do, anyway), wrap up the rights, and be done with it.

It is important that we don't lose Superman.

Maybe DC does not care about the Superman that most of us have grown up with, because a whole new generation has been brought up on Smallville?

A Smallville movie would be the best of all worlds. But part of the S/S lawsuit involves EVERYTHING that's in Smallville; Krypton, Jor-El, Clark Kent, Lois Lane, etc.

Right. If DC doesn't hold the rights, Smallville is pretty much useless. Clark's progression would work since they are staying away from canon but that is about it. I see another publisher using Superman as close as possible and with Marvel you could just as easily have Clark work for J. Jonah Jameson (gruff grumpy editor), the Daily Bugle replace the Daily Planet and hell if they really wanted Peter Parker could be his or Lois's photographer ala Jimmy Olsen if they wanted to restructure. The costume could stay the same sans the "S" which I'm sure wouldn't be difficult to restructure, an artist created an evolution of the "S":

supermansymbolalternate.jpg

newsupelogo758935.jpg

While different it has an elegance to it, a feel from the era that he was created that could be translated. If artists can create that, it should be too hard for a publisher to give us something different yet familiar.

Something like this still gets the message across:

thesupermanfinal734563.jpg

Something that looks like that would still be recognizable as Superman for any other publisher and keeps with the Estate's holdings.

Its definitely Lose/Lose for DC while the Siegels and Shuster Estates can/will do just fine

That's too bad. I was hoping to see a better Superman movie than the last one.

That's awful, and just change the colors to yellow and blue and it's Sentry's uniform isn't it?

Right. If DC doesn't hold the rights, Smallville is pretty much useless. Clark's progression would work since they are staying away from canon but that is about it. I see another publisher using Superman as close as possible and with Marvel you could just as easily have Clark work for J. Jonah Jameson (gruff grumpy editor), the Daily Bugle replace the Daily Planet and hell if they really wanted Peter Parker could be his or Lois's photographer ala Jimmy Olsen if they wanted to restructure. The costume could stay the same sans the "S" which I'm sure wouldn't be difficult to restructure, an artist created an evolution of the "S":

supermansymbolalternate.jpg

newsupelogo758935.jpg

While different it has an elegance to it, a feel from the era that he was created that could be translated. If artists can create that, it should be too hard for a publisher to give us something different yet familiar.

Something like this still gets the message across:

thesupermanfinal734563.jpg

Something that looks like that would still be recognizable as Superman for any other publisher and keeps with the Estate's holdings.

Its definitely Lose/Lose for DC while the Siegels and Shuster Estates can/will do just fine

Well, technically Sentry is the biggest Superman ripoff in a long time anyway. :lol My point is that it could happen quite easily while DC trying to rebuild anything similar to the Superman they have now would be not only more difficult but probably come off a ton worse.

Maybe WB are hoping The Green Lantern becomes DC's new Poster Boy to replace Superman.
Yes he's been popular for years in the comic world, but ask your average Joe who the Green Lantern is, and he won't know who you're talking about.
That might change after the movie

People know the Green Lantern, the symbol, the basics that he uses a ring, etc. he has been in the public consciousness long enough and in varying degrees enough to know that. What they don't know is the character especially since DC has been manic in who they use from Hal in Superfriends and through the 70s, to Kyle in the 90s Animates to John in the Justice League to Guy in the Brave and the Bold. They keep changing out who is the definitive Lantern for 2814 depending on the flow. Where its easy for the general populus to get Bruce Wayne = Batman or Clark Kent = Superman its more difficult for the average fan to wrap their minds around who the Green Lantern is depending on age. While the film will redirect that, it'll take more than that to be DC's posterboy. My bet is if Superman goes then it'll be Bats who steps in there.

Maybe WB are hoping The Green Lantern becomes DC's new Poster Boy to replace Superman.
Yes he's been popular for years in the comic world, but ask your average Joe who the Green Lantern is, and he won't know who you're talking about.
That might change after the movie

Just like Iron Man in 2007.

Back