Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

What theme was there? Zimmer's music was one note away from sounding like the stuff he did for Dark Knight rises.

Repetative, yes.

Powerful and moving, yes.

Maybe not as uplifting as JW, but that wouldn't fit here.

After 30 plus years of Superman being associated with JW score, it's nice having something different.

Zimmer wrote his own Man of Steel theme. It's titled "what are you going to do when you're not saving the world?" Though on youtube I think it's falsely titled an Ideal of hope.

I have the soundtrack. Just about every track is over burdened by loud drum beats that come out of nowhere. Is that the theme your talking about?

Repetative, yes.

Powerful and moving, yes.

Maybe not as uplifting as JW, but that wouldn't fit here.

After 30 plus years of Superman being associated with JW score, it's nice having something different.

I'm all for something different that's why I have the soundtrack. I just wish a better composer made the music. Giacchino would of nailed this perfectly.

I have the soundtrack. Just about every track is over burdened by loud drum beats that come out of nowhere. Is that the theme your talking about?

That's pretty much the whole soundtrack. It's only used in like 3 places. which was disappointing.

Zimmer is alright. I don't think he's as good as Williams but how OST for this movie is pretty good. It does a good job of creating a mood when listening to it.

I'm afraid film scores with amazing, iconic, timeless themes are going extinct the same way artistic one-sheets and practical FX are.

Yeah, they're definitely aren't many left who do it like that. Howard Shore's work on the Middle Earth films is one of the other all-too-rare rare ones.

Zimmer is alright. I don't think he's as good as Williams but how OST for this movie is pretty good. It does a good job of creating a mood when listening to it.

The flight track was good. It started off as something that I could get into, then the drums just came and got in the way. I was like f'n Zimmer.

I loved the vibrating twang sounds that was used for the tall Kryptonian robot during the smallville battle.

Come to find out later that this sound was the same as the gravity gun

I don't know, bring a headphone to the movies and listen to the JW score while watching it. :lol

I'm afraid film scores with amazing, iconic, timeless themes are going extinct the same way artistic one-sheets and practical FX are.

That's probably pretty darn true. I admit I'm a bit bias but some of the best OST I've gotten over the last few years have come from Howard Shore. The work he's done on The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings is outstanding. I listen to them a lot because of how good the work is on them.

I loved the vibrating twang sounds that was used for the tall Kryptonian robot during the smallville battle.

Come to find out later that this sound was the same as the gravity gun

I don't know, bring a headphone to the movies and listen to the JW score while watching it. :lol

The only part of the Williams score that would of carried over is the scene where Cavill emerged from the Krypton ship with the suit on for the first time. I could easily see the music from Reeve's first appearance being used there.

The flight track was good. It started off as something that I could get into, then the drums just came and got in the way. I was like f'n Zimmer.

I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't notice anything from previous films. If you listen to The Gladiator and POTC you will hear a familiar theme in both. I didn't notice that until a few months ago between all the times I've listened to them.

I like Alan Silvestri's CAPTAIN AMERICA score and parts of AVENGERS a lot. But I think the themes fall just shy of that instantly iconic, timeless quality.

A few of my thoughts...

• Cavill was great.
• Some very apparent Giger Alien-like designs surprised me.
• Krypton was a bit too fantastic. Avatar birds and stuff...meh.
• I liked the general tone of the movie as I thought the Christopher Reeves movies were way over-the-top and silly.
• A lot of the same "guy gets punched and thrown through wall after wall after..."
• I liked the bad chick.
• No camp in this one and I salute that.
• Am I the only one who is rarely impressed with the latest alien designs we see in blockbuster movie after blockbuster movie? There has been nothing original or cool since Alien and Predator. I mean, Avengers, Super 8, Avatar, Independence Day, District 9, etc...meh.
• Where do we go from here? All of these comic book movies have become so apocalyptic and the stories so outlandish...terraforming, alien invasions, a race of lizard people...what's next? What in the world will Electro and Rhino have in store for Spidey in his next movie?

BB

I like Alan Silvestri's CAPTAIN AMERICA score and parts of AVENGERS a lot. But I think the themes fall just shy of that instantly iconic, timeless quality.

This I agree with. The music for Avengers could of been great, but it kind of went nowhere.

Hans Zimmer doesn't do anthems, Williams is excellent at them.

The thing with anthems is directors and editors tend to create montage scenes to feature the music, such as Keaton driving the Batmobile for about a minute just to give the Batman march a chance to play.

It's why Michael Giacchino is the closest thing we have to John Williams.

Giacchino's theme "Roar" was the best part of Cloverfield. It was a total love letter to Toho monster music.

Ramin Djawadi is doing some amazing music for "Game of Thrones"

Back