Making headsculpts from scratch?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeviousDexter

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really interested in learning to make my own custom sculpts so I can do characters not commonly
done by the pros.

Wondering if anyone can give me some tips- im artistically inclined but ive never really made a mold or sculpture before.

Thats all you need to start with:

Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay: Tools and Techniques for Sculpting Realistic Figures: Amazon.de: Katherine Dewey: Fremdsprachige Bücher

Also if you google sculpting polymer clay, you will find some helpful tutorials.

Buy sculpey. Products | Sculpey

People use super sculpey and super sculpey firm. Some mix it, some prefer the one, some the other.
It ist really all about trying what works best for you.

Honestly this is enough information you need for a start. The book is awesome as it directs you through a few sculptures.

Molds are not that important until you have a sculpture ready to be cast. :)

Hey guys, I'm really interested in learning to make my own custom sculpts so I can do characters not commonly
done by the pros.

Wondering if anyone can give me some tips- im artistically inclined but ive never really made a mold or sculpture before.

Dexter are you looking to do traditional clay and super sculpts type work or are you looking to do work digitally?? I will say that one of the things that you need to know is that no matter how artistically inclined you are you are going to have to do some serious studying to get this going, and it won't come easy. Firstly, you should get really familiar with the shape of the human skull, and then sculpt on, and then do it again. You don't have to perfect it, just a blob of clay either virtually or in solid form it doesn't matter. What you need to do is focus on the way it should look before you put muscles on it, and then slowly add the musculature to it. I am not going to lie to you, there will be days that you are going to be shocked by what you can do, but it start those will be few and far between. To start you will have more days when all you want to do is tare your hair out, but it will come IF you have the fortitude to keep going. Trust me it is SO worth it.

P.S. Just so you know the frustration of this is totally natural... I couldn't sculpt worth a tinkers **** all day today as I haven't been sculpting in over a week.... Totally screwed up my feel and rhythm. Got it back about an hour ago so when you start just be ready for it, and push the hell through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

BTW I want to do traditional clay sculpts, not digital.

I'll start with what you guys suggested and thanks!

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

BTW I want to do traditional clay sculpts, not digital.

I'll start with what you guys suggested and thanks!

Well here are so e great tutorials by Martin Canale....Old Tutorials - Statue Forum

Oh and a great thread over at Sf by... EPang...EPang WIP Process - Statue Forum

Honestly, good luck Dexter. I have t get back to traditional sculpting, maybe sometime this summer, but I admit I have become completely addicted to the tools available while digital sculpting. However, I do love the clay too, okay throw some n some armature wire soon.

Back