MAFEX The Terminator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another mod on twitter. I think it looks a bit better, yes, but not sure it's worth going to any trouble over. The figure looks pretty damn spectacular right outta the box.

F_8KpU2bIAAJOlo.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think it might be the same one that was all carved up.

I've carved up McFarlane and NECA figures in the past for (usually failed) customs, I wouldn't even do it to them now at current prices let alone a Mafex figure. These are expensive mofos for their size.

Just received mine. Not had time to take it out of the box yet but at first glance the heads look more accurate than any of the HT figures.

Why two shotguns?

Amiami put him back up for order. So maybe I will have one before Xmas afterall. They just shipped me Figuarts Indiana Jones scheduled to arrive next week. Can't wait for these figures. 1/12 is where it's at lately.

Now I need to order a 1/12 black T-shirt somewhere. Though, hmm, putting a fabric black T under the jacket might exacerbate the high-sit issue. Might have to cut up the T-shirt (would likely always have had to cut off the sleeve parts) and just make it a 'facade' at the front.

T2 figures deserve to be sliced up and destroyed, so I support this movement. . .

I ordered the original Terminator Mafex figure yesterday on a "Cyber Monday" deal. I've had an extensive, and mixed experience with Medicom over the years (really dig many Kubricks, can't stand the Real Action Hero figures), but have never had one of the figures in this line, so anxious to check it out in-hand.

If you wanna pose in mid-cocking action, I suppose.
That's what she said?

I love comparing modern stuff to what we had 30+ years ago. I got this figure when I was in the 8th grade. I thought it was amazing at the time. I compared it to the old Star Wars figures and I was like "WOW, this looks JUST like Arnie!! They'll never top this!"

IMG_0162.jpg

A Japanese collector sculpted his own alternate pieces that Medicom should have included in the first place!!

GAZQq7NaQAAqWyr.jpg
GAZLVNda0AAYF6E.jpg
GAZLVNdbEAABxaq.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine a few days ago from Amiami. Cheaper than BBTS even with expedited courier shipping and customs fees added on. Do people feel secure enough leaving their credit cards on file with Amiami? I've used paypal so far but if I were to start preordering Mafex figures there I'd prefer not to be paying straight away.

Anyway, the figure. Good, and better than the prototype, but not perfect.

What's better than the prototype? The final figure doesn't look lanky and weirdly stanced like his pelvis is thrusting forward as it appeared to be in the solicitation shots. Looks more Arnie-like in proportions and build. And the headsculpts are nicer in person. This was also the case with the T1 figure.

Also love that you get fist hands and relaxed hands - even the ungloved open palm hands are useful for that brief shot in the Galleria when he gets up off the floor after the T-1000 throws him through a window. And the figure is otherwise quite comprehensively loaded with the weapons he uses in the film. The inclusion of the teargas launcher is great (why it took this long for an official toy company to provide this with a T2 Arnie is anyone's guess).

But now on to my negatives.

As has been said - difficult to get him to hold and specifically aim his guns convincingly. It's a combination of maybe not having the appropriately sculpted palms for all gun-handles (even with as many hands as there are) and limitation in how you can move the arms. For example, not being able to rotate the arms at biceps or elbows makes 2-handed shotgun poses kind of unconvincing, which in turn makes the ''reload'' shotgun and hands kinda useless if what you're trying to capture is the scene where he's marching towards the T-1000 firing rapidly. Rotating the wrist pegs within the arm itself might help in some cases where the pivot of the hand is the problem but I'm concerned about messing with them too much, they don't provide spares if you break them.

Another issue is any movement of the arms at the shoulder joint either causes the jacket to rise up or creates an ugly visual break between the arms and the body. See pic below

Spoiler Spoiler:

As for the jacket - while it doesn't sit as high up the neck as on the BD figure it's still a tad on the bulky side - as is the plastic of the grenade bandolier which consequently protrudes out from the figure more than is ideal. NECA sculpted their bandoliers to be perfect fits to the bodies of their T-800 such that it always held the correct position but Mafex didn't do that and as a result the bandolier floats and moves out of position too easily.

Final nit - I would have gone with a lighter brown for the hair.

So that's my overview of the figure. Since I invariably go with basic poses not much of the above will really bother me.

Got mine a few days ago from Amiami. Cheaper than BBTS even with expedited courier shipping and customs fees added on. Do people feel secure enough leaving their credit cards on file with Amiami? I've used paypal so far but if I were to start preordering Mafex figures there I'd prefer not to be paying straight away.

Anyway, the figure. Good, and better than the prototype, but not perfect.

What's better than the prototype? The final figure doesn't look lanky and weirdly stanced like his pelvis is thrusting forward as it appeared to be in the solicitation shots. Looks more Arnie-like in proportions and build. And the headsculpts are nicer in person. This was also the case with the T1 figure.

Also love that you get fist hands and relaxed hands - even the ungloved open palm hands are useful for that brief shot in the Galleria when he gets up off the floor after the T-1000 throws him through a window. And the figure is otherwise quite comprehensively loaded with the weapons he uses in the film. The inclusion of the teargas launcher is great (why it took this long for an official toy company to provide this with a T2 Arnie is anyone's guess).

But now on to my negatives.

As has been said - difficult to get him to hold and specifically aim his guns convincingly. It's a combination of maybe not having the appropriately sculpted palms for all gun-handles (even with as many hands as there are) and limitation in how you can move the arms. For example, not being able to rotate the arms at biceps or elbows makes 2-handed shotgun poses kind of unconvincing, which in turn makes the ''reload'' shotgun and hands kinda useless if what you're trying to capture is the scene where he's marching towards the T-1000 firing rapidly. Rotating the wrist pegs within the arm itself might help in some cases where the pivot of the hand is the problem but I'm concerned about messing with them too much, they don't provide spares if you break them.

Another issue is any movement of the arms at the shoulder joint either causes the jacket to rise up or creates an ugly visual break between the arms and the body. See pic below

As for the jacket - while it doesn't sit as high up the neck as on the BD figure it's still a tad on the bulky side - as is the plastic of the grenade bandolier which consequently protrudes out from the figure more than is ideal. NECA sculpted their bandoliers to be perfect fits to the bodies of their T-800 such that it always held the correct position but Mafex didn't do that and as a result the bandolier floats and moves out of position too easily.

Final nit - I would have gone with a lighter brown for the hair.

So that's my overview of the figure. Since I invariably go with basic poses not much of the above will really bother me.

I've been using Amiami for almost a decade with no issues, but you don't have to prepay for a preorder? I've always just preordered for nothing down and then use paypal to pay and pay in yen.

Dude on twitter gave his a black t-shirt.

GB43B2EagA4ixOy.jpg

I think it looks way too bulky at this scale. Better to take a very thin piece of fabric and just stretch it across the front I think, not an actual full t-shirt.

Even better is buy two, and paint one black.

Yeah, doesn't look the best. I was able to give my 1:4 NECA a black T-shirt and it looked fantastic. I did have to cut the sleeves off but it fit perfectly on the body, around the neck and could be tucked into the pants. I hoped the same could work here. Guess I'll have to go the painting route.

Got my two last night and opened them up. Great figure.

In person, the likeness on both heads are phenomenal. A-Dev, are we impressed with the hair? The sunglasses head is the best, that black gloss on the sunglasses is just so cool.

Lack of black shirt doesn’t bother me. I know it’s not accurate but I don’t care. I have one with sunglasses and bare hands and the other with regular head, gloves hands, bandolier and grenade launcher. Great sculpt, great range of motion, tons of accessories. Way more value than your usual 6” figure. The collar jacket thing isn’t even bad in person. Not hunch back like battle damage.

Having clean sunglasses, clean cyberdyne shootout and steel mill battle damaged T-800 is just too damn cool. Makes me not regret selling my Hot Toys. Atleast these will never detoriate.

My only beef with the figure are the hands. They all suck. I was going to take a few I wasn’t using and upgrade the T1 with them since those gloves aren’t accurate (the movie poster Tech Noir hole gloves), but none of them hold the guns properly. The hands are awful, especially the flesh ones. He basically can’t aim properly and only looks good like this,

305443D5-C9F3-4FAE-B8BE-340B496ABD69.jpeg

1703947356544.gif

That’s no fun. Not with a figure with so many guns, hands and options.

Overall though, great figure. I love it. Really wish the Battle Damaged had the semi damage head and a swappable arm now. It’s the only head and look missing.

Got my two last night and opened them up. Great figure.

In person, the likeness on both heads are phenomenal. A-Dev, are we impressed with the hair?

Yeah, the hair is fine. Doesn't look like an afro, doesn't make it look like his head is shaped weird, hairline looks correct - all things we frequently see being wrong when the T2 style is attempted.

The sunglasses head is the best, that black gloss on the sunglasses is just so cool.

Lack of black shirt doesn’t bother me. I know it’s not accurate but I don’t care.

In general I think the grey shirt is a cooler look to break up all the black a bit. But yeah, if we want movie accuracy we'd want a black T-shirt. I may end up painting one of mine or I may yet try a black fabric T-shirt, no hurry.

I have one with sunglasses and bare hands and the other with regular head, gloves hands, bandolier and grenade launcher. Great sculpt, great range of motion, tons of accessories. Way more value than your usual 6” figure. The collar jacket thing isn’t even bad in person. Not hunch back like battle damage.

Yeah I don't think it's a problem on this figure whereas it is on the battle-damage figure. I was going to say I don't know why that's the case but after just popping off the heads the neck joint seems to reach up higher on the clean figure making the head sit just a little higher.

Having clean sunglasses, clean cyberdyne shootout and steel mill battle damaged T-800 is just too damn cool. Makes me not regret selling my Hot Toys. Atleast these will never detoriate.

My only beef with the figure are the hands. They all suck. I was going to take a few I wasn’t using and upgrade the T1 with them since those gloves aren’t accurate (the movie poster Tech Noir hole gloves), but none of them hold the guns properly. The hands are awful, especially the flesh ones. He basically can’t aim properly and only looks good like this,

View attachment 681288

View attachment 681289

That’s no fun. Not with a figure with so many guns, hands and options.

To be honest this is a big disappointment with the figure. After initially being so thrilled to see so many different hands it was pretty deflating to discover how useless many of them are. I mean, to me, the best ones are the fist hands and relaxed hands just because we didn't get any of those with the NECA figures and because I'm happy enough just to display these figures in museum poses simply displaying the evolution of the T-800 throughout the film.

As an action figure though, come on Mafex, it really ought to have hands that can properly hold and aim each weapon. The trigger hands are suspiciously generic and perhaps oversized.

Overall though, great figure. I love it. Really wish the Battle Damaged had the semi damage head and a swappable arm now. It’s the only head and look missing.

I know! It's a real head-scratcher. Just those 2 things would have really brought the BD figure up, and yeah, we'd have pretty much everything across 2 releases. Now we're left to wonder if we'll ever be able to have that look with Mafex. A third figure would be very barebones unless they repeat loads of accessories. And if they're gonna do that then they might aswell put out a 4th release with a black T-shirt. That's another reason I'm in no hurry to repaint my second figure.

Last edited:
Back