Action Figure MAFEX Comic Book Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, I'm not even a Spider-Man fan but this and their Venom are both nearly perfect action figure adaptions of the said characters. I may have to buy both of them.

Finally opened mine and I have to say it’s a fantastic figure. Great shadowing, as has been said and the articulation is nearly everything you could want in a Spider-Man figure. Can’t wait for the next figures in the line.

Anyone recommend a good place to get Spidey? HLJ and AmiAmi are sold out, and Nippon is same price as BBTS.

:woo got a shipping update..hopefully tomorrow..the pics I’ve been seeing plastered on SM of how people have been posing theirs ..I’m ready to get some extreme posed spidey goodness in this thread. Already got some ideas stirring :wink1:

:thud: :thud: Good golly!!! That Spider-Man is just :thud:

I have the ToyBiz Mcfarlane Spider-Man and this one seems to top even that one!!! The head sculpt is spot on and the eye sculpts are what I've been wanting from Marvel Legends for a long time.

This is a solid Mafex with some weight. He's so stylish to pose :clap

He works so well with the ML

No problem for Mezco

Last edited:
Review from my favorite toy reviewer:

I like it. The sculpt, articulation, and accessories are great, but the paint is just poor for a $80+ figure. I canceled my order awhile ago and I'm kinda glad I did.
I have a ton of Spider-Men including TB McFarlane Spidey, don't think I need this one.

Photo and video can't do this figure justice. Mafex looks 10x better than Toybiz in hand.

But whatever though, you are doing good favour by cancelling preorder cause so many queue for this.

[...]

I like it. The sculpt, articulation, and accessories are great, but the paint is just poor for a $80+ figure. I canceled my order awhile ago and I'm kinda glad I did.
I have a ton of Spider-Men including TB McFarlane Spidey, don't think I need this one.

Well, I purchased out of curiosity. I've already turned around and sold it, only because I don't collect this scale anymore -- my tiny BTAS collection doesn't count because they're so stylized they're kinda their own thing, very far removed from my 1/6 collections. But having had most of the best 6" renditions of Spidey, had I stayed with 6-inch action figures, this would have been a keeper.

Feels really nice and high quality, hands on mine were easy to swap, paint was well-done, i.e. very smooth and sharp. I *do* kinda see what you're saying; they could have done better here and there in terms of design and production decisions, but that's often par for the course with toys.

Strangely, after all the SHF, Figma, Mezco, MAFEX, Toybiz and various Legends --- my all-time favourite 6-inch Spider-Man is still the Marvel Legends Pizza Spidey.

But this one is really no slouch, and while the price is quite high for what you get, that's the case with every single import figure, so that's a personal decision of course.

Well, I purchased out of curiosity. I've already turned around and sold it, only because I don't collect this scale anymore -- my tiny BTAS collection doesn't count because they're so stylized they're kinda their own thing, very far removed from my 1/6 collections. But having had most of the best 6" renditions of Spidey, had I stayed with 6-inch action figures, this would have been a keeper.

Feels really nice and high quality, hands on mine were easy to swap, paint was well-done, i.e. very smooth and sharp. I *do* kinda see what you're saying; they could have done better here and there in terms of design and production decisions, but that's often par for the course with toys.

Strangely, after all the SHF, Figma, Mezco, MAFEX, Toybiz and various Legends --- my all-time favourite 6-inch Spider-Man is still the Marvel Legends Pizza Spidey.

But this one is really no slouch, and while the price is quite high for what you get, that's the case with every single import figure, so that's a personal decision of course.

It's the price that's really putting me off. If this was priced closer to a S.H. Figuarts, under $50, then I'd pick one up without question. I look at all the various Spider-Man figures that I own going back into Toy-Biz era including the giant 18" Movie Spidey, 12" ML Spidey's that include the large version of Pizza Spidey, Hot Toys MCU Homemade and main suit figures, 12" Medicom Comic and Black costume Spidey's, and most of the recent Hasbro ML Spidey's including the Retro Spidey that's basically a reissue of Pizza Spidey, yeah do I really need a $90 6" Spider-Man figure even if it's the best comic one?
I need to get rid of some toys. :lol

My $30 Marvel Select Venom came in today as a birthday present to myself, love this version so now I don't need that $95 Mafex Venom. :lol
The $65 that I didn't spend will help me finish the ML Kingpin BAF.

[...] do I really need a $90 6" Spider-Man figure even if it's the best comic one?
I need to get rid of some toys. :lol

My $30 Marvel Select Venom came in today as a birthday present to myself, love this version so now I don't need that $95 Mafex Venom. :lol
The $65 that I didn't spend will help me finish the ML Kingpin BAF.

LOL...this I can understand. I don't do this scale anymore so I didn't keep it. Gotta have priorities or things get outta hand. :horror

That's awesome.

Do you think it can do this pose?

QKHpyFP.jpg

Everybody is entitled to their opinion on this, but for those who ordered and are waiting..I’d say give it a chance, in hand this figure is what I believe the new era of Mafex, in terms of detail, accuracy and of course, design and stability in their figures.

I’ve been looking at the recent reviews on YouTube and have to admit unfortunately I see that these guys for some reason must be getting a bad batch delivered to them in terms of all these paint blotches and QC issues, because mine has a great paint job and hardly any issues that I can tell and I have put it through the ringer in poses already and it’s holding up amazingly ( referring back to what I was talking about in terms of the engineering of this new body mode).

Maybe it was the paint scheme used for this particular figure but in photos it comes off disturbing. The red comes off too glossy and the blues appear too dark, but in hand, I assure those who are wondering, in person, this figure looks well balanced in the colors and complements the design of the figure beautifully. That’s why I suggest before anyone cancels their preorders judging by what it looks like in photos, I’d say wait to get it in hand .

It is steep in price, but I don’t think it’s not worth it. Import figures have gone up in price within the last year and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that . But I have to disagree that figuarts are cheaper, some figuarts have raised in price within the last year even if they are Bluefin distributed, and I’ve only seen the DBZ line reasonably priced. All other lines in my opinion are just as inflated as Mafex as of late ( SW and superhero lines) especially with the addition of shipping costs. Another thing I see with Figuarts, is the inconsistency in engineering and design of human based characters..it’s either hit or miss ..For instance, you can can see spot on sculpts like many SW characters but then you can see awful paint jobs like IW Captain America etc. I actually see that lines like Mafex are listening to what fans are saying and are improving their figures with each passing year.

If I had to compare the first Mafex ASM figure to this new 90’s Spidey..no contest, that first Spidey was an absolute disaster. This Spidey in hand, has proven to me that yes the price has raised , Mafex is trying their best to justify the cost. At least with this Spidey version IMO.

Yes ML is a lot cheaper and the quality has improved over the years, but when it comes to Spidey , I’ve only seen very little growth for some reason . Pizza Spidey is great but I can’t put it in my favorite 6” Spidey catorgory of all time. With ML Spidey , what bothers me is they seem to use the same mode of body in hindsight is not entirely accurate compared to other lines. IMO, the ML Spidey figures are too bulky and muscular and range in mediocre articulation with very little improvements from each new wave, example, they still haven’t created a Spidey that can do the splits , nor have they fixed the issue with the wrong paint color for divets in the arms.

What I’m saying people really need to give this Spidey a chance in hand and witness that this particular Mafex Spidey is the best they have come up with thus far in terms of a complete redesign in body and overall idealism for Spider-man figures. Don’t let the SRP scare you off, if you collect 6” Spider-man and are looking for the next step in an all purpose Spidey figure then this is it..or at least Mafex is on the right track with this new Marvel comic line and are still surpassing ML attempts at Spidey figures IMO.

[...]

Yes ML is a lot cheaper and the quality has improved over the years, but when it comes to Spidey , I’ve only seen very little growth for some reason . Pizza Spidey is great but I can’t put it in my favorite 6” Spidey catorgory of all time. With ML Spidey , what bothers me is they seem to use the same mode of body in hindsight is not entirely accurate compared to other lines.

IMO, the ML Spidey figures are too bulky and muscular and range in mediocre articulation with very little improvements from each new wave, example, they still haven’t created a Spidey that can do the splits , nor have they fixed the issue with the wrong paint color for divets in the arms.

I'll give you that. The vibrant colours and the neutral silhouette on Pizza Spidey are what I love. No serious poseability to speak of compared to SHF or MAFEX though. I find the Japanese figures across all lines a touch attenuated which is what makes them fall short of true greatness for me, but no one has done a definitive 6-inch Spidey yet, based on my own crazy-high standards.

What I’m saying people really need to give this Spidey a chance in hand and witness that this particular Mafex Spidey is the best they have come up with thus far in terms of a complete redesign in body and overall idealism for Spider-man figures. Don’t let the SRP scare you off, if you collect 6” Spider-man and are looking for the next step in an all purpose Spidey figure then this is it..or at least Mafex is on the right track with this new Marvel comic line and are still surpassing ML attempts at Spidey figures IMO.

Oh yeah -- had I stayed with this scale I would have bought two.

Back