LotR on Blu Ray or HD-DVD??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gondor59 said:
I have a 1080P screen now....but still undecided about which HD hardware to go with. I like BR better at this point but am going sit on the fence for a while longer.:D

It's a wise decision to make right now. We may have to wait til the end of the year to see who starts running away in this battle.

OK....here is my question for you guys.
I have the X-box 360 premium edition and also the HD-Drive, now do I need to purchase different cables than it came with to get it up to 1080i?

It looks like the market right now is split about 60/40 in favor of Blu-Ray when it comes to disc sales. But that is hardly a complete triumph for Sony, and I think that both will continue to exist side by side for a while.

They still don't have some technical specs ironed out for Blu-Ray which impacts the ability to do advanced features like the picture-in-picture commentary (the "In Movie Experience" on Warner discs) and so some titles that take advantage of the technology have been held back. Hence no V for Vendetta, Matrix movies, Batman Begins, etc. on BR just yet, although those titles are available on HD DVD because they got their universal specs ironed out before jumping into the marketplace. In terms of upcoming releases from Warner, it looks like the trend moving forward will be to release them side by side on both formats and just not include the Dolby TrueHD audio or advanced special features on the Blu-Ray version (see Blood Diamond or 300).

I have a player for both formats and am able to pick up discs on either side of the "war," but I tend to prefer HD DVD when given a choice because so far, the audio and interactive features are superior on the HD DVD when a Blu-Ray counterpart is available, and I actually like the combo discs that can also be played on a regular DVD player (which means they work in the car or I can lend them to my family and friends). Blu-Ray hasn't been able to manufacture a combo disc yet.

We will have to wait and see what New Line does when they release their first high def title, but I suspect that it will be on both formats because that is the Warner Bros approach and I assume that they will follow it.

If we have to wait too long for LOTR, it will be on the upcoming Total HD format which will play on both types of players--so everybody who wants it will get it.

Viking28 said:
OK....here is my question for you guys.
I have the X-box 360 premium edition and also the HD-Drive, now do I need to purchase different cables than it came with to get it up to 1080i?

The 360 will output everything up to and including 1080p through the component cable for games and downloaded video clips, etc. However, my understanding is that 1080p is not available via component for HD DVD movies, and that you need the VGA cable (which I am using) to get 1080p. Also, some sets do not accept 1080p through component, adding to the confusion.

But if you are trying to get 1080i then the component connection should be fine, as I understand it.

that is correct,you need the vga cable to get 1080p with the add-on

tomandshell said:
It looks like the market right now is split about 60/40 in favor of Blu-Ray when it comes to disc sales. But that is hardly a complete triumph for Sony, and I think that both will continue to exist side by side for a while.

They still don't have some technical specs ironed out for Blu-Ray which impacts the ability to do advanced features like the picture-in-picture commentary (the "In Movie Experience" on Warner discs) and so some titles that take advantage of the technology have been held back. Hence no V for Vendetta, Matrix movies, Batman Begins, etc. on BR just yet, although those titles are available on HD DVD because they got their universal specs ironed out before jumping into the marketplace. In terms of upcoming releases from Warner, it looks like the trend moving forward will be to release them side by side on both formats and just not include the Dolby TrueHD audio or advanced special features on the Blu-Ray version (see Blood Diamond or 300).

I have a player for both formats and am able to pick up discs on either side of the "war," but I tend to prefer HD DVD when given a choice because so far, the audio and interactive features are superior on the HD DVD when a Blu-Ray counterpart is available, and I actually like the combo discs that can also be played on a regular DVD player (which means they work in the car or I can lend them to my family and friends). Blu-Ray hasn't been able to manufacture a combo disc yet.

We will have to wait and see what New Line does when they release their first high def title, but I suspect that it will be on both formats because that is the Warner Bros approach and I assume that they will follow it.

If we have to wait too long for LOTR, it will be on the upcoming Total HD format which will play on both types of players--so everybody who wants it will get it.

The 360 will output everything up to and including 1080p through the component cable for games and downloaded video clips, etc. However, my understanding is that 1080p is not available via component for HD DVD movies, and that you need the VGA cable (which I am using) to get 1080p. Also, some sets do not accept 1080p through component, adding to the confusion.

But if you are trying to get 1080i then the component connection should be fine, as I understand it.

You can find the HDA2 for under $250 shipped now. You also get 5 free HD DVDs.

No brainer.

I own both so don't care who wins the war.

But at under $250, the Toshiba HD DVD unit is a great upscaling player too. One of the best so that's another plus.

Back