LOTR Maquette Dilemma!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard0fdragons

Freakzoid
Reaction score
LOTR Maquette Dilemma!! Having received Gandalf the Grey Maquette custom tax cost £45!! :gah:

This made me think about future purchase of Maquette. Purely down to the custom cost, the weta Gandalf cost £50 the cost of the custom tax alone! :slap

What are your thoughts, especially collectors who are overseas, who end up paying high custom tax? Would you continue or switch to weta? I appreciate they are different in size etc, but looking at the overall finance point and custom tax position what would you do? :lecture

Continue offcourse ...

If the price is too high, you should consider buying the regular from a local retailer instead of the exclusives directly from Sideshow, it wille save you about £30-£50 per statue.

LOTR Maquette Dilemma!! Having received Gandalf the Grey Maquette custom tax cost £45!! :gah:

This made me think about future purchase of Maquette. Purely down to the custom cost, the weta Gandalf cost £50 the cost of the custom tax alone! :slap

What are your thoughts, especially collectors who are overseas, who end up paying high custom tax? Would you continue or switch to weta? I appreciate they are different in size etc, but looking at the overall finance point and custom tax position what would you do? :lecture

Continue offcourse ...

If the price is too high, you should consider buying the regular from a local retailer instead of the exclusives directly from Sideshow, it wille save you about £30-£50 per statue.

Yep, have to agree with Vince :wave

If you are not too pushed about the Exclusive version wizard0fdragons, getting you SS Maquetts from your local dealer is the way to go.

:duff
Bill

Yep, have to agree with Vince :wave

If you are not too pushed about the Exclusive version wizard0fdragons, getting you SS Maquetts from your local dealer is the way to go.

Bill

But the thing is the LOTR maquette exclusives have been really cool...unlike some other licenses where they just give you a name plaque.

But the thing is the LOTR maquette exclusives have been really cool...unlike some other licenses where they just give you a name plaque.

Yes I have to agree willocrew :wave, the exclusives are, in the main, fantastic in the LOTR Maquette line. :clap

Well worth having imho. :clap

In fact, all the Maquettes I have managed to score, so far, are the Exclusive versions. :yess:

I just hope it continues that way :pray:

Bill

If it's a must have exclusive, then i'd risk it with SS. It used to be much better when there was an EU warehouse.
Fortunately since they done away with that, the only piece i've wanted enough to order is the Aragorn maquette exclusive. I already have an entire LOTR collection from SSW, and with The Hobbit on the way and other interests, it seriously has to be one hell of a good exclusive for me to buy.

:wave
Thanks for your responses, all are valid. However would you purchase the weta figures instead due to custom charges as cost of tax paid alone on one item you could easily purchase Gandalf as an example :dunno

If price is the main / only factor you are considering, then of course buying a WETA statue for $50 makes more sense then buying a SS statue.

The SS statues are far better IMO so if you can spend the money, I would, they rock!

Thanks for your responses, all are valid. However would you purchase the weta figures instead due to custom charges as cost of tax paid alone on one item you could easily purchase Gandalf as an example :dunno

No, i would buy them as i like them. Why else? :dunno

If price is the main / only factor you are considering, then of course buying a WETA statue for $50 makes more sense then buying a SS statue.

The SS statues are far better IMO so if you can spend the money, I would, they rock!

Likeness wise yes, feel wise no. Too much like superheroes. I prefer the classical feel of the originals. Plus any creatures will always be better done by Weta. They made them for the film. Can't get more genuine than that.

Can't go wrong really with either company. SS LOTR maquettes are as good as any LOTR statues out there though. From likeness, paint, detail, feel, etc. They're just that good. They showed with the Snow Troll they can handle creatures pretty damn good as well. The stuff that Sideshow and Weta made original are magical because of knowing the movie makers were a part of it.

"What does your heart tell you?"

Go for what you like wizard0fdragons :wave

Financial decisions you make now, you may regret later.

Bill

I always used to buy my PF Ex's direct from Sideshow, but since they closed the EU warehouse i've bought nothing from Sideshow. Thats one reason why i havent gone into the maquette line and put my PF line on hold (unless i come across a killer deal on the bay).
On the other hand i've gone into the Weta Environment line big time and having a UK warehouse where shipping is cheap and no import charges is great.

Continue offcourse ...

:exactly::goodpost:
That's what i have done with Gandalf and Aragorn. I really don't need the Ex but i prefer the Maquette Line instead of the Weta Statue cause of the likeness.
And like you wrote, it's a money saver buy the regular ones at your home dealer.

I find it's best to find a local dealer to avoid tax costs but someties it can't be helped...I've paid hundreds over the years on tax :ohbfrank:

Back