LOTR 12" line not dead...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets face it this line is now residing in the Undying lands and good ridance.

Really? You know this for a fact do you? There won't be anything at SDCC for this line? No new products.

How about we wait 9 more days before we go saying anything is dead. :rolleyes:

I don't think the line is dead, it's very healthy IMO... just running at a nice slow pace and not full speed ahead like Star Wars. A lot of R&D goes into these figures and LOTR stuff is very very complicated. So I can understand the wait. The stuff is selling and people like it, so I assume we will keep getting them as long as that is the case.

I honestly don't think the line is dead. I just think SS knows where the money is right now so this is a "step child" line for the time being.

One thing I think SS should do is come out and admit that much. Come out and say there will be 1 or 2 figures a year so people aren't sitting around wondering if the line is dead or not.

Add the regular editions of our Faramir, Boromir, and Legolas 12-inch figures to your collection while you still can! The remaining few will not last for much longer, especially once our LOTR 12-inch collectors find out what our Creative Team has in store for them at the San Diego Comic-Con. Order these IN STOCK figures today!(From the SS Newsletter)

Ok, I have no idea what sideshow is planning, but I cannot think of how they are going to make something that includes all of the 12' figures that they have done so far. No where in the films can I think of a place where all four of them were together. Concerning the 12 inch line, other than hobbits, dwarves and armored characters the only ones left are Elrond, Arwen, Eowyn, Gandalf Saruman, Theoden, and maybe Eomer. Well those are the characters that would consider buying anyway. They could always do army builders and make urakai, but the way this line has sold so far I don't see that as a viable choice.

Agreed. Sideshow needs to be honest with their customers at least.

I agree with what you are saying, and have even said the same myself. With that being said, on some of the "Ask SST" newsletters, people including myself have asked about the line, and SST keeps assuring us the line is fine, but we dont believe them, so there kind of in a now win situation. This is what was posted when they answered my question about the line.

Sideshow Collectibles: The LOTR 12-inch line is definitely NOT coming to an end. There are several characters in development, but we're not quite ready to announce (or tease) which character will be next! We're hoping that once the next pre-order is live, we can keep a steady flow of LOTR figures (true for the Premium Format line also), and avoid any long waits between releases in the future.

Lets face it this line is now residing in the Undying lands and good ridance.

Why do so many keep saying things like this? The line is far from dead (Sideshow has said so on many occasions) but it's really not the most popular line (that trophy goes to Star Wars). We are sure to get an annoucement or two in the 12-inch line at Comic-con.

The thing to remember with the quietness of the future of the line is there are a lot of factors that really need to be ready before announcements.

1. Completed and, I assume they need it, approved head sculpt
2. Painted head sculpt
3. Fabric scouting and tailoring for proto
4. Acquisition of materials for production.

Sometimes, it seems like the proto and production fabrics differ, so I'm sure part is they use what's available to make the proto, then really scout around for cost efficient materials to produce the figure, so even if the proto's done, until they have the means to start production in a timely manner, I don't think they want to show off product cuz as it is now, they know we clammer for the 5-6 months most figures take to come out after seeing the proto.

Why do so many keep saying things like this? The line is far from dead (Sideshow has said so on many occasions) but it's really not the most popular line (that trophy goes to Star Wars). We are sure to get an annoucement or two in the 12-inch line at Comic-con.

I think it more an expression of their dislike of the 1:6 than in any real hard evidence.

I think its funny that despite SS's many statements to the contrary, some people just want to INSIST that the line is dead. :rolleyes:

I think its funny that despite SS's many statements to the contrary, some people just want to INSIST that the line is dead. :rolleyes:

Well for some, I'm sure it's a hostility towards Star Wars and it being a selling monster and getting seemingly more attention, but it is a seller and much as Sideshow is artists, it's a business and you need profits to keep going. I'm sure others would love to see Sideshow fall in the 1/6 business and lose all of their licenses to the likes of Hot Toys and Medicom and look for all of the non-Star Wars lines to fail.

Bottom line, Lord of the Rings is complex in all angles of development, from characters with unique body scales not produced yet, to intricate costumes that aren't easily and successfully replicated in this scale. I have feared it may not have enough fanbase and power behind it to sustain as a line, but as collector of it, I'm eager for Sideshow to pull back the curtain and unveil growth for it, still some favorite, key characters I'm hoping to see..cough Gandalf...cough.

I know. It's funny and like Josh said above these are some of the most detailed piecs in this format they've done.

All of you stormcrows should definitely savor the next nine days... :gandalf_w

I like that hint. I would take a GTG 1:6th figure for sure. :) :rock

Back