LoTR 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long ago did Sideshow last touch 1/6 LotR? Just looking around this forum makes it really apparent LotR is dominated by statues and such.

As long as they give a long headsup before HT touches LotR... Can you imagine how much the Fellowship alone would cost?!?!

I agree. I would much prefer it to be similar to how Howard Chan wants to do only 1 star wars figure a year if that. If they get the LOTR license and do it that way, I'd definitely be happy

How long ago did Sideshow last touch 1/6 LotR? Just looking around this forum makes it really apparent LotR is dominated by statues and such.

I think it was 2008 when Frodo and Sam were released. so almost 4 years ago

and for a non statue collector like myself, it sucks that that the 1/6 line was trashed

You think Hot Toys would even pay attention to a petition? I personally think the Hobbit movies will be the last chance we get to convince them.

Hot Toys does fine work, to be sure. They are investing a TON in a load of properties. But if they have learned anything from Sideshow, the LOTR 12-Inch license will fall flat. They won't take the risk...just my opinion, though.

Can't wait to be pleasantly surprised. What I wouldn't give for a couple Uruk-hai and a Mordor Orc in Hot Toys detail!!

Hot Toys does fine work, to be sure. They are investing a TON in a load of properties. But if they have learned anything from Sideshow, the LOTR 12-Inch license will fall flat. They won't take the risk...just my opinion, though.

Can't wait to be pleasantly surprised. What I wouldn't give for a couple Uruk-hai and a Mordor Orc in Hot Toys detail!!
I still believe it was SST's fault the line fell flat. I think if Aragorn would have matched the prototype and the wait between releases would have been shorter the line would have suceeded.

If they do go for the license, it will probably be the Hobbit, since that will have a wagon load of hype to spare. And then they can just focus on Gandalf and Gollum to play it safe, although there'll be Legolas in it, too.

If they do go for the license, it will probably be the Hobbit, since that will have a wagon load of hype to spare. And then they can just focus on Gandalf and Gollum to play it safe, although there'll be Legolas in it, too.

:exactly::goodpost:

Thats my thinking. And even if we just ended up with Gandalf (at the very least) Id be happy. But they could do Legolas, Frodo, Bilbo, Gollum, Orcs...all in The Hobbit so...yeah...

Agreed! If SS said they were making only one more LOTR figure I'd definitely choose/hope that it would Gimli. Unfortunately, I don't see SS going back to 1/6 :( just statues for LOTR and the Hobbit

Actually I could have sworn they opened up the door for future releases once the Hobbit films are out. Don't know if that means it would only be from the Hobbit or if they might revisit missing LOTR figures.

I will say this is one of the more dissapointing lines I've collected... some great figures were released. But no villians or Gimli is unacceptable.

Well I'd love it if they did Gimli, Pippin and Merry, but a while back - they stated in the Q&A that they would not finish the line.

Good point with the Hobbit coming out, but I am not holding my breath. I agree the line was disappointing in its breadth, but I like most of the figs they did do...

I changed my cheap 1/6 scale DiD dolls with some selfmade clothing.
Not accurate to the suggestions from Mr. Bakshi or Mr. Jackson (LotR movies).
Only made for fun.

Supplement - a kind of comparison between almost original / selfmade DiD stuff.

Last edited:
I still believe it was SST's fault the line fell flat. I think if Aragorn would have matched the prototype and the wait between releases would have been shorter the line would have suceeded.
I'd have to agree. I had all of the LotR 1/6th figures but eventually had to sell Frodo and Sam because I couldn't stand to have those bobble-headed things half-swallowed by their voluminous clothing standing on my shelf. I replaced them with the Toy Biz "roto-cast" figures of the same, which are actually much closer to scale with the human-sized characters, and have far better likenesses, in my opinion.

Does Sideshow own the 1/6 license for all LotR? I'm hoping someone... Maybe Hot Toys... Will take up the Hobbit!

I hope some kind of announcement like this happens at SSDC this year. All I really want is a HT Gandalf the Grey. Thats all I need! Of course I will take any and all other LOTR figures by them as well, but if I had to have JUST ONE. Gandalf would be the one.

Back