Looking for custom info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrimarrko

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to customs, and I've seen some great pictures here. Really nice stuff.

I was hoping that some of you could give your input to a noob here, regarding acquiring custom sixth scale figures.

I'm not one of those people who is looking to do customs on their own. No time, no skills, no chance. So, I'm looking to learn more about who creates quality custom work from the head down to the toes. I've seen head sculpt threads, but without the rest of the body/costume, it doesn't do me any good.

So, that being said...

Generally speaking, are there a couple of people who are regarded as doing the best quality work? I'm sure there have to be a few who create the best overall head sculpts and body/costumes out there - and most people would agree with whoever that would be. If anyone has some suggestions, that would be great.

Also, I was wondering what kind of prices I'd be looking at. It's hard to gauge what a great piece would cost that hasn't been made yet, vs. one that has already been done.

Again, any info/suggestions, links to websites, etc are really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I would say take a look at the post counts, that should clue you in as to who is rockin' it in the custom world...

Look at Elvis, Skiman, Rainman, Kato, Moe, Spenser, iminime... the list goes on (no disrespect to anyone who I missed!).

Most of the great customs have a few people involved (sculpting, tailoring, painting). There are really only a few people out there who can offer you a one-stop shop with customs.

As far as prices, the customs really are art pieces. Most people don't have the resources to mass produce the figures, so at this point you are paying an artist for their time, and if it is a 1-off custom, you are looking at a lot of time involved. Expect to pay more than $300-$1000 or so (and that is just a starting point... as you get what you pay for).

As far as the person who I look at with much admiration, it is by far Elvis. Everytime I visit his thread, I get reminded how much skill some people have at this craft. Elvis is one of the best I have seen that is able to look at a few random parts and pieces, and turn it into an amazing original piece.

If you are looking for a quote on something you have in mind, I would just shoot someone a PM. Have a really good idea what you are looking for, and as much reference pieces as possible. It helps if you know it is something they may be interested in as well, I know that really makes a difference when people ask me for custom work. It doesn't hurt to ask...

Hope that helps!

I think it depends on what you are looking for, meaning genre. Film, comics, that sort of thing.

HOW DID I FORGET HIM! robbiethepainter is great as well! Check out his work on the Weapon 11. Like I said, just poke around the first 5 pages or so of this section, take a look at peoples work.

I think it depends on what you are looking for, meaning genre. Film, comics, that sort of thing.

Mostly film.

Seen some nice Fight Club stuff out there, but there are some film figures that I would love to have (if someone hasn't done them already):

Shawshank Redemption
Braveheart
Beetlejuice
Animal House
(list goes on)

I would say take a look at the post counts, that should clue you in as to who is rockin' it in the custom world...

Look at Elvis, Skiman, Rainman, Kato, Moe, Spenser, iminime... the list goes on (no disrespect to anyone who I missed!).

Most of the great customs have a few people involved (sculpting, tailoring, painting). There are really only a few people out there who can offer you a one-stop shop with customs.

As far as prices, the customs really are art pieces. Most people don't have the resources to mass produce the figures, so at this point you are paying an artist for their time, and if it is a 1-off custom, you are looking at a lot of time involved. Expect to pay more than $300-$1000 or so (and that is just a starting point... as you get what you pay for).

As far as the person who I look at with much admiration, it is by far Elvis. Everytime I visit his thread, I get reminded how much skill some people have at this craft. Elvis is one of the best I have seen that is able to look at a few random parts and pieces, and turn it into an amazing original piece.

If you are looking for a quote on something you have in mind, I would just shoot someone a PM. Have a really good idea what you are looking for, and as much reference pieces as possible. It helps if you know it is something they may be interested in as well, I know that really makes a difference when people ask me for custom work. It doesn't hurt to ask...

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the insight as well!

Back