Lighting Ideas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearlessJay

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to collecting (maybe doing it for a year or two), and even after searching around the forum looking for definitive ideas on proper lighting, I couldn't find much.

So I'm starting this thread for all the Noobs out there (like myself) who aren't sure what kind of lighting we should be using. I know direct sunlight is bad for collectibles as it could bleach the colors. But I just hooked up a couple halogen puck lights in my displays a couple weeks ago, and heard they may be bad too, as the heat may not only wash out colors, but warp my figures.

So, for us Noobs, what types of lighting should we avoid? What types are ideal? And I'm not just talking about presentation, but preserving the quality of your figures/statues.

Any ideas or suggestions are going to be greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many others out there.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Sorry to post this in the collection area, but I couldn't find a much better section to ask in.

Hello Fearless,
I'm by no means a lighting expert but I use led lights similar to the halogen pucks. They are fairly bright and produce little to no heat. They last a long time as well. You can see one in the top of the picture below. I think I picked them up at Home Depot.

legenddisplay.jpg

Hello Fearless,
I'm by no means a lighting expert but I use led lights similar to the halogen pucks. They are fairly bright and produce little to no heat. They last a long time as well. You can see one in the top of the picture below. I think I picked them up at Home Depot.

legenddisplay.jpg

I used those on my Detolf and the light is great for them but be sure to use some stronger tape if you do use these as they kept falling on to my statues. :horror

well the puck light are led and produce almost no heat at all and will not heat up a shelf.l have 3 stick on puck lights and they can be on all night in my detolf with the door closed and in the morning there will still be no heat on the inside so it should be safe.

Thanks for the advice!

It sounds like LED is the way to go. I'll keep an eye out for a wired kind, as my lighting is currently tied to my light switch. I picked up some of the cheaper LED stick-up lights for now, and will do my best to keep them from falling like Jay mentioned.

Last thing I need is to find my HT Wolverine with a LED puck upside the head one morning :sick

Thanks for the advice!

It sounds like LED is the way to go. I'll keep an eye out for a wired kind, as my lighting is currently tied to my light switch. I picked up some of the cheaper LED stick-up lights for now, and will do my best to keep them from falling like Jay mentioned.

Last thing I need is to find my HT Wolverine with a LED puck upside the head one morning :sick

Mine are wired to a switch as well. I think Home Depot or Lowe's should carry this type. I have a total of six wired together and they are all tied to a light switch.

IMG_0439.jpg

Looks like I chose wisely..
I started doing some research on lighting for my ikea tv stand. Sadly I have moved very far away from any Ikea stores (my kingdom for a detolf!!) anyway, I went with the 3 pack LED puck lights from Home Depot..wired up as I am not interested in changing batteries. They were around 28$ for the set and you can wire 6 all together on one plug.

Crappy pics as they were just quickies to show the difference.

IMG_6484_resize.JPG

IMG_6486_resize.JPG

i use LED puck lights from Menards in my detolfs. the are screwed into the wood so they won't fall. they also sell LED strips which i may try as well on some of the lower shelves. they really produce no heat and they can be link together and stuff.

Back