Statue Life Size Maul Bust Cyberman Cast

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this bad boy in today from Phil. Pictures suck but I will take better ones when I have it displayed how I plan to keep it. Need to form fit some foam so I can get him prompted up the way I want him.

20170606_163729667_iOS.jpg

20170606_163740033_iOS.jpg

20170606_163748766_iOS.jpg

Something doesn't look quite right, is it too much of the lower lip showing. Might be just the pics throwing me off.

Something doesn't look quite right, is it too much of the lower lip showing. Might be just the pics throwing me off.

It's the downward angle of the photos. The bottom lip doesn't stick out futher and there is more black on the top lip than you can see in the photos. He's also leaning a bit since I just have him temporarily propped up on one of the towel stands. And I have a piece of foam on the back so it's not completely tilted backwards. I tried to correct it with the angle of my phone so the front on photo looks straight on but it's not.

The black on his nostrils needs to come up to the tip of his nose and the black bands under his lip need to come up to the surface of his bottom lip and not stop so abruptly under it.

There's more going on at the forehead, but these two fixes alone will greatly improve this bust.

Maul.png

Cyberman is very good at sculpting, but not as good at painting and finishing. Seen this with his Emperor as well compared to the Elm-Studios ones.

The black on his nostrils needs to come up to the tip of his nose and the black bands under his lip need to come up to the surface of his bottom lip and not stop so abruptly under it.

There's more going on at the forehead, but these two fixes alone will greatly improve this bust.

Maul.png

I might send him this pic to copy for mine.

20170610_175920466_iOS.jpg

20170610_175913594_iOS.jpg

And I know the paints he uses. I can always modify it if I care enough to. But I won't.

Cyberman is very good at sculpting, but not as good at painting and finishing. Seen this with his Emperor as well compared to the Elm-Studios ones.

Bingo! I received my Maul bust from Phil and wasn't happy with the paint job at all so I sent it to Bjorn for a proper finishing job. Here's the pic I posted earlier in the thread.

IMG_20130308_170103.jpg

Couple quick pics of mine, got it today:

maul2.jpg

maul1.jpg

I assumed some touchups would be needed but I wasn't worried as I already own basic painting supplies (Phil uses acrylic paint) and I was confident I would have the steady hand needed, I used to paint Warhammer figures.
Made the tattoos go a bit higher on the lower lip (told Phil when he sent me the first pics to correct them but he didn't correct them enough), also made things more neat/centered on the nose, filled a few white spots... Took about 10 minutes.

I have the hood as well but will put it on later.

I wouldn't say it's a flawless piece, but it truly looks amazing, and for the price it's definitely way up there to do an awesome Maul display with a lightsaber or a PF (or both).

Edit: also added more black in the corners of the lower lip as I noticed on various pics that this area was pretty much always covered in black, whether the center tattoos went all the way up the lip or not (this aspect completely varies from pic to pic).

maul3.jpg

Last edited:
These are great by the way, I bought a recast Year’s back on eBay before I knew of cyberman. Immediately after I purchased I saw it wasn’t authentic but after pairing you couldn’t tell. Paid like $90 for it.

I'm not sure that's what he did, could look like that on the pics but in person it looks a lot more like a wash over the red.
That would indeed be really weird if he went red on black instead of the opposite.

Now I just need to find the proper earring, it's 100% canon so no reason to not have it. Or maybe I'll just make one out of modeling paste and paint it silver.

Most likely yeah, he seems pretty busy and has many projects but I would assume this is his best seller.

Did about 20-30 minutes of additional touchups today, really paying attention to various high res pics to correct what I could, mainly on the cheeks by bringing the big black areas closer to the black lines, and also around the mouth. Really happy with the result. This is going to make for one hell of a display.

maul5.jpg

maul4.jpg

Back