Life Size Chucky

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can actually see the crappy foam where the clothes are ripped. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
4de30cdef403239f2152c32854443e08.jpg

i hope we get some production pictures of the NECA doll too.
Currently only got Tiffany on order but once I see prod pics of NECA I may order Chucky too.

Hello, first time posting here, I'll give a background hidden in spoiler box which you're welcome to skip for my question if you want.

Spoiler Spoiler:

---

Anyway, my question is about licensing. I mistakenly believed that the complexity of licences allowed for different products to go to multiple companies (such as one company making t-shirts, other drinking cups etc), one company may be able to make mass market 1:1 scale dolls, but I thought only one company would be allowed to make high end 1:1 replicas. For that reason I thought TOTS had a lockdown on the Universal (all sequels) licence for 1:1 high end replica dolls, so I was surprised when Neca announced their Bride pair which directly competes with the TOTS Seed dolls, both are the same Universal sequels licence right? Does anyone with a bit more knowledge understand how this works that two competing companies can simultaneously both produce 1:1 replica dolls?

My Conspiracy Theory is that Universal are aware of how badly TOTS have treated their customers, and as damage control offered a specific Bride licence to a more reputable company. My other Conspiracy Theory is that Don Mancini has been photographed with and promoted the Neca dolls. I'm not aware of him ever posing with or promoting the TOTS dolls, or even mentioning them for that matter.

Not that I'm saying Don Mancini's TOTS silence is because of disapproval, it's purely a theoretical suggestion based on his Neca engagement. But if I were a creator I would be deeply saddened by the way TOTS had treated my creation. If I was a licensor, I would never let my licence go to such a cowboy company that would bring disrepute to my brand. It is shocking how many top brand licensing TOTS get. It definitely seems like they are trying to corner the market by being the only company offering 1:1 products from a variety of franchises that many are desperate for, and with the lack of competition they can make a nice profit on a knock-off product. No wonder Zephro got so upset by some good healthy competition from Neca putting out what is likely to be a much higher quality product for less price.

EDIT - For some reason the UK Pound currency symbol comes out as "?", sorry I don't know why, but that's the currency I tried to type.

Hello, first time posting here, I'll give a background hidden in spoiler box which you're welcome to skip for my question if you want.

Spoiler Spoiler:

---

Anyway, my question is about licensing. I mistakenly believed that the complexity of licences allowed for different products to go to multiple companies (such as one company making t-shirts, other drinking cups etc), one company may be able to make mass market 1:1 scale dolls, but I thought only one company would be allowed to make high end 1:1 replicas. For that reason I thought TOTS had a lockdown on the Universal (all sequels) licence for 1:1 high end replica dolls, so I was surprised when Neca announced their Bride pair which directly competes with the TOTS Seed dolls, both are the same Universal sequels licence right? Does anyone with a bit more knowledge understand how this works that two competing companies can simultaneously both produce 1:1 replica dolls?

My Conspiracy Theory is that Universal are aware of how badly TOTS have treated their customers, and as damage control offered a specific Bride licence to a more reputable company. My other Conspiracy Theory is that Don Mancini has been photographed with and promoted the Neca dolls. I'm not aware of him ever posing with or promoting the TOTS dolls, or even mentioning them for that matter.

Not that I'm saying Don Mancini's TOTS silence is because of disapproval, it's purely a theoretical suggestion based on his Neca engagement. But if I were a creator I would be deeply saddened by the way TOTS had treated my creation. If I was a licensor, I would never let my licence go to such a cowboy company that would bring disrepute to my brand. It is shocking how many top brand licensing TOTS get. It definitely seems like they are trying to corner the market by being the only company offering 1:1 products from a variety of franchises that many are desperate for, and with the lack of competition they can make a nice profit on a knock-off product. No wonder Zephro got so upset by some good healthy competition from Neca putting out what is likely to be a much higher quality product for less price.

EDIT - For some reason the UK Pound currency symbol comes out as "?", sorry I don't know why, but that's the currency I tried to type.

TOTs was the first and only company putting out a 1:1 scale Chucky in over 10 years when Sideshow, Mezco, and NECA refused to go big. Also, NECAs products are on the cheap side too though. Don't get it twisted. They technically haven't put out anything yet so you can't judge it's quality on this. I'm glad TOTs is giving other companies more courage to start producing Life-sized Chuckys.

There's exclusive license which prohibits other companies from doing the same thing, then there's just regular licensing where any company can compete on the same thing(like mickey mouse pencils and erasers). Usually studios would treat 1:1 replica as an exclusive license, it's much more expensive but there is no competition. In case of 1:1 Chucky no one wants to buy that license for some reason, like Ehollywood said it's been over 10 years, so it's possible they made a deal with ToT for a regular licensing agreement for a much lower cut, but once that gains traction other companies could be interested and make their own version. Licenser gets paid twice, once from ToT and once from Neca, plus whoever else wants in.

As for the quality, honestly I'm not up to date with it, I only see people complaining that there are complains. This is a cheap company making a cheap product, yes $500 is cheap for a life size replica. Neca is also retailer price point so quality will be roughly the same. With out ToT and Neca, you are looking at companies like ECC to make an ultimate version, their Gremlin is 2.5K and Chucky with box would be roughly the same. 1:1 replica is a really expensive hobby honestly, ToT is a Halloween mask company, clearly they are not in the same league but it offers us an affordable version.

Also another note: Prop makers, and to an extend Halloween mask makers have a very different philosophy then us collectors. A lot of thinking is that what your eyes can't see, they can "cheat" it, that's a skillset that is useful when they are making films so they don't waste time doing things that wont even be seen, real movie props tend to be flimsy and kind of cheap usually. Making cheap stuff that looks expensive is a skillset for prop makers, they get hired for that reason. So that's one thing Neca will do better imo, they are toy makers and they already know people don't want them to cheat what they can't see, even underneath the clothing people still want everything to be as exact as possible.

I?m just glad neca is taking there time with this. I really want a bride chucky .

I?m thrilled with my Good Guy Doll and IMO it?s really top quality. People say $500 is cheap yes it is and no it isn?t.

However the cheap tricks like changing the logo and making the eyes and wig better for the second batch is dodgy and unfair and I will never ever buy anything from tot again!!!

The seed Of Chucky doll is rubbish, I?ve just seen the final doll, it looks nouthing like the prototype which was obviously way better.

However It?s better than Spencer?s dolls but it?s still it?s a mess to look at.

The eyes are weird the teeth look fake and you can?t even have Chucky hold a knife. I don?t care if it?s designed from actual moulds it looks nouthing like a seed replica.

Poor Zephro is crying that Neca is the new kids on the block lol

Back