Premium Format Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't like pose of this one. I definitely can wait till Ep9 to see if there is more Kylo to choose from, and more SOH of Adam, or even a Redeemed version of Kylo .... XD.

This one is priced way out of proportion. So in this case, I'm not so sure that is true. We may not get a better Kylo in this format or scale, but that assumption alone doesn't justify the price tag for me, as much as I really would like this.

Assumption? Is not almost everything more expensive than it used to be? Hasn't almost everything been getting more expensive (statues included) since pretty much ever? People on the dolly forums love to complain how they could get figures for like 20 bucks back in the day. I am not assuming anything. *is so anger*

The assumption being that we won't get another option for Kylo in this scale. We probably won't, but who knows. And yes, everything is more and more expensive from Sideshow. But this guy has taken the biscuit far more than comparable products from them.

I am really torn between ordering and waiting until the end of the new trilogy as well. Things could change so much.

I am really torn between ordering and waiting until the end of the new trilogy as well. Things could change so much.

I feel really torn because I don't know the full story yet, what journey the characters will take, who they will be at the end.

Also I'm still pissed he lost that first fight to Rey :mad:

Don't like pose of this one. I definitely can wait till Ep9 to see if there is more Kylo to choose from, and more SOH of Adam, or even a Redeemed version of Kylo .... XD.

As someone who thinks a lot of SS' SW poses are dumb as a box of rocks (i.e. every single trooper, vader) and that have some very meh bases (vader, fett) and that they play fast and loose with a lot of their proportions (the troopers again) I have to say I think this is pretty good. The dots on the base are kinda meh but otherwise mostly good, saber looked better/different IRL at NYCC, I think it was different.

Too expensive though imo :|

The assumption being that we won't get another option for Kylo in this scale. We probably won't, but who knows. And yes, everything is more and more expensive from Sideshow. But this guy has taken the biscuit far more than comparable products from them.

HT is doing one in this scale.

As someone who thinks a lot of SS' SW poses are dumb as a box of rocks (i.e. every single trooper, vader) and that have some very meh bases (vader, fett) and that they play fast and loose with a lot of their proportions (the troopers again) I have to say I think this is pretty good. The dots on the base are kinda meh but otherwise mostly good, saber looked better/different IRL at NYCC, I think it was different.

Too expensive though imo :|

HT is doing one in this scale.
We have SS, HT and IS doing 1/4 Kylo
As of those three, only SS is on PO has a definitive release date
Knowing HT, it could be 2019 till they release their Kylo, eventhough prototype is up and ready. Look at both vader and trooper. Still no news on them
IS just showed theirs, and imo needs alot of improvement

So, if Kylo is not an essential part of your collection, just wait till HT announce a PO date
If not, i feel that the SS will be the only 1/4 available for the next 1 to 2 years

Sent from my SM-G925F

I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to poses but this one I like a lot.. yes... its super expensive.. but I think its a great statue and the fabric looks like they have to go to the extra mile to make it screen accurate in 1/4 scale.. I can imagine this was not easy to achieve what might reflect in the price

The old Star Wars stuff was probably negotiated prior to Disney, whereas the TFA stuff is a new licence with probably a new contract etc.

It's not only the TFA, the whole SW line is more expensive than it has ever been since Disney bought the rights. Look at Maul, the statue is amazing but no denying its overpriced compared to what you get

It's not only the TFA, the whole SW line is more expensive than it has ever been since Disney bought the rights. Look at Maul, the statue is amazing but no denying its overpriced compared to what you get

Yeah. Being honest, I love the cloth elements on statues... but there is no denying that it takes away from cost of production. Maul looks excellent under cloth, but doesn't look like he can be posed shirtless.... Idk. I just wish all these companies would see just how much these prices are. No disrepect to the artists involved at all because all the pieces are amazing, but $500 for a clothed/covered up figure...

He still looks amazing. I do wish he were a bit less expensive, even the high shipping cost on him, anything really just to make it a bit easier to order. This is fine craftsmanship no doubt..

74Qm2gx.png

Yeah. Being honest, I love the cloth elements on statues... but there is no denying that it takes away from cost of production. Maul looks excellent under cloth, but doesn't look like he can be posed shirtless.... Idk. I just wish all these companies would see just how much these prices are. No disrepect to the artists involved at all because all the pieces are amazing, but $500 for a clothed/covered up figure...

I'd be interested to hear from someone like MYC whether intricate cloth craftsmanship forces the cost up versus keeping it down. In the case of Maul, I might agree that the tailoring should be simple, but with Kylo, the material appearance is so critical that the tailoring may actually be more expensive than sculpting, casting and painting an all resin statue. I personally prefer the mixed media over fully sculpted but at the price point, we should have the option to go shirtless with our Maul :)

Full sculpt is pretty much always more expensive than clothing, unless you have to pull some crazy complex outfit. Clothes are done using a prototype pattern and replicated, they don't need paintup and assembling except being glued to the bodies. Just look at the PCS statues, their fully sculpted Vega is 410$, the most recent Evil Ryu is 385$.
There are tailors doing highly detailed 1:4 outfits for dolls that are really not very expensive (less than 100$), talking about full suits with detailed shoes, trousers, shirt, vest and jacket.
There's really no room for justification to these prices imho, especially when you factor in that they are produced in the thousands and laws of manifacture apply. Something like Maul would be spot on for 400$, ok for 450$, at 500+$ it's simply too much.

The name of the game is making money. Companies aren't going to look out for the little guy like how some people wish they did. They're going to set a price based on production costs, materials, licensing, edition size, wages, profit, etc etc and see if it sells at that price. That is all there is to it.

Sideshow is not around to save you money in an industry/hobby where people are paying hundreds and even thousands of dollars for action figures and mini statues.

I'd be interested to hear from someone like MYC whether intricate cloth craftsmanship forces the cost up versus keeping it down. In the case of Maul, I might agree that the tailoring should be simple, but with Kylo, the material appearance is so critical that the tailoring may actually be more expensive than sculpting, casting and painting an all resin statue. I personally prefer the mixed media over fully sculpted but at the price point, we should have the option to go shirtless with our Maul :)

The question is which is more expensive, sculpting or clothing. I believe original production and reproduction/factory is much cheaper on the clothing side. No detail. No paints. No touch ups. Etc

Back