King Kong Armature

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumours are just that - many have no basis in fact. And I surmise that the $1,000 price is one of those.

It's posted above, but here again is the link to PJ's blog about Bob Burns and the armature visiting Weta.

https://img-nex.kongisking.net/kong/movies/PPD-08WeeksToGo_qt6_high.mov

It really sells this item, especially the piece at the end where they animate it and add sound. It's also much bigger than I'd thought.

Last edited:
Pardon me, I was just looking the other way when you where saying... what?

Guys, let's not loose it here. There is nothing "beautiful" about the King Kong armature. If there is anything that makes it special, then it's the historical dimension, so if you choose to buy the armature, I hope you realize that you are not getting the real thing, but just a replica. There will be nothing unique about this piece. If it where a beautiful creation, a feast for the eyes, ok, but it was never designed to be. It's just a structure underneath... And that is the big difference to the Terminator Endoskeleton. The T-800 was actually designed to look cool. The King Kong armature was not. And the Alien Miniature bust takes it even a step farther: not only does it look 'hot' , but all 500 pieces carry the signature of it's maker Giger, that's what makes every single piece unique in a way. I don't see how the King Kong armature can top that.
Finally I'd like to say that after viewing the little film on PJ's blog, about PJ, Bob Burns, the armature and the Kong production team, I really must say that they handle this piece of movie history with very little respect. Every one touching it, fiddling, bending, twisting... But then again, that's what it was made for, right?

I think what it all boils down to is if you are a stop-motion fan or not. From reading everyone's post on several different boards, it is easy to see that you have a few individuals like myself who can't wait for this piece. And while unexpected is still a huge jaw dropping anouncement.
Then there is an even larger group of those that look at this armature and say 'Big deal!, What's everyone worked up over?'

Of course, when it comes right down to it, that's the way it is with most of our collectibles. There are several of us who can't wait for our next 1/4 PF fix, while others say they are just overrated, and way overpriced 'dolls'. The comparisons can go on and on.

You get the idea though. Most of the people that are going to buy this are the ones who can truly appreciate it. No matter what the edition size is or whether some view it as 'ugly'.

I'd love to own this piece reproduction or not. I think it would be cool to own something like this but sadly I know the price of it will be way way too far out of my range. For those getting it I say awesome for you and I wish I was one of you.

I don't really see the appeal in owning a replica of a piece like this. It certainly can't be for aesthetic reasons and unless it's the original it can't be for the bragging rights or historical significance. I understand why people buy replicas of lightsabers and the sort, they look cool, but with this Kong armature, owning anything besides the original seems a bit pointless to me. No offense intended to those who do want one, it's just my personal opinion.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Guys, let's not loose it here. There is nothing "beautiful" about the King Kong armature.

No offense but that's just YOUR opinion. As an avid fan of stop-motion pictures, more so Ray Harryhausen than Bob Burns, I can say that IMO it is beautiful.

It's much more "beautiful" than some pile of polystone? :rolleyes: What's so great about that? :wacky

I think this is a great idea by SSC. I love the art of stop action, and am really excited about this product.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
...There is nothing "beautiful" about the King Kong armature...

Although I personally have no interest in this piece, I wouldn't go as far as to say there's nothing beautiful about it. Just because you don't see beauty in the piece doesn't mean someone else doesn't. You know how the saying goes: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After all, I thought the Newborn Uruk-hai Statue was beautiful. :D

To understand the attraction to this item, you really have to appreciate the place in history the original holds.

The Kong armature is a genre film icon and marks a milestone in the evolution of stop motion animation. That fact that this artifact even exists today is a miracle of sorts, as it was neglected for decades before it came into Bob Burns' hands. Bob's armature is the so-called "long face Kong," the Kong we see on Skull Island, and it also served as the skeleton of Kong's kid in "Son of Kong."

And the replica will be a working armature! That is what really sells this piece to me. To be able to hold it in my hands, study its construction, pose it... how cool is that? Does your MR lightsaber really work? I don't think so.

As Noble Johnson's Skull Island native chief might proclaim in his mighty, booming voice: Kong bisa para fans!

A gift for Kong fans!

angl_tsr_clr.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I certainly can't make this item more appealing to folks who aren't interested, but speaking for myself, I'm really excited about it.

Maybe one bit of difference is that I've seen photos & read stories about the armature before-- I'm not only familiar with this piece because of what it did on screen-- I'm also familiar with it as a metal skeleton. That's why it has appeal for me the way it is.

Yes, perhaps I didn't use the right word there. I should have know better. After all, les couleur et les gouttes, ca ce discute pas, or, as Fritz put it: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What I was trying to say, has been said very clearly by TheObsoleteMan. I share his opinion.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I don't really see the appeal in owning a replica of a piece like this. It certainly can't be for aesthetic reasons and unless it's the original it can't be for the bragging rights or historical significance. I understand why people buy replicas of lightsabers and the sort, they look cool, but with this Kong armature, owning anything besides the original seems a bit pointless to me. No offense intended to those who do want one, it's just my personal opinion.

I don't know yet...

I'm on the fence about this one! I really like the idea, but I don't know if I will spend a lot for it. If it is $300 or less, I'm all over it! If it is between $300 and $500, I'll probably get it, but will think about it. Anything over $500 and I will have to give it a lot of thought. I just don't know what to think about it at the moment. :confused:

This is one of the offerings thats truely unique, and to be on display in anyones home theatre or room collection, it would be one that could stir alot of discussion on how FX were created then versus now....I like the piece more for its hitorical nature above anything, and if the price is right, it will find its way into the collection...

Back