Action Figure King Arts - Avengers AoU - Hulkbuster (Diecast 1/9 Scale)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm one of those people that starting collecting HT Iron Man and was disappointed with the cheap plastic feel when I had them in hand. Ended up selling them all and bought statues. Now I will be testing the waters with the KA versions. I'm hoping the diecast gives it more quality when myself and others see them. And I like the smaller scale in terms of long term space concerns for an entire collection. Plus a standard KA Iron Man diecast figure is almost half the price delivered for me compared to a HT version. As long as I like the first couple figures that I have preordered, then I'll be in for the long haul.
But I agree that it's nice to talk about our own preferences and concerns but we should all just buy the things that WE enjoy and make US happy! That's what a hobby is all about!

I don't equate "heavy" with quality. Which seems to be the biggest selling point and argument for diecast. I am a huge statue fan. Have more of those then hit toys. Lots of customs as well. So yes weight wise it's a huge difference. But to me that doesn't matter. Though I agree it's neat when you pick up the DC figures, outside of those total 10 minutes in the two years I've owned the mk42 weight is meaningless. The size to weight ratio of a diecast figure is off. And it adds stress to the joints. So if you have a diecast figure with DC on the arms and legs in a pose it will eventually cause the joints to fail, and fail much much faster then a plastic one. You also can't use the standard flight stands as they will suffer the same problems. Double edged sword. It's got a cool feel for the short (very very very short in comparison to the time it just is on a shelf as eye candy) time you hold it. Outside of that it causes issues. I'd rather have my figure better suited for the 99% of its life then the 1%. As far as quality...DC metal (white metal, pot metal) has been around since before roman times. Plastic injection is under 50 years old. Much more tech and updated and quality to me so I don't see DC as some great advancement. It's how toys in the 20s where made.

The thing about the DC figures being updated and better joints and articulation is not becuase they are DC. The joints are plastic. They are just newer improvements. They can do the same joints on plastic, rubber, vinyl. So to me, that's not a sale point.

I will buy the DC figures becuase that's what they are making. If they did have a plastic option that's what I would go with. But they don't. And becuase of the outlay for basically a whole new manufacturing production line to make DC it's not going anywhere. They have to make the investment pay off first. Which is fine. I have no problem buying them. The 42 is one of the best figures to date. But not becuase its DC. Becuase of the improved plastic based joints.

Right now we don't really have a choice between a DC and a Injection molded figure. And I don't foresee there ever being one. But I don't see DC as a great sales pitch either. And the amount of DC used is an even bigger sham. Somehow they have convinced people that the amount of a cheap by product metal used in a toy matters. Great marketing.

Don't see the joints failing any faster due to the added weight from dc. Got plenty of toys from the 80's in dc that have held up fine over 2 decades later and that's after throwing them off my folk's roof testing their flight capabilities lol and other sandbox horse play. Plenty of HT figs previously released in plastic have widespread failing joints shortly after release. Mk 4 comes to mind immediately. Most people seem to have their IM figs in museum poses anyway.

I don't equate "heavy" with quality. Which seems to be the biggest selling point and argument for diecast. I am a huge statue fan. Have more of those then hit toys. Lots of customs as well. So yes weight wise it's a huge difference. But to me that doesn't matter. Though I agree it's neat when you pick up the DC figures, outside of those total 10 minutes in the two years I've owned the mk42 weight is meaningless. The size to weight ratio of a diecast figure is off. And it adds stress to the joints. So if you have a diecast figure with DC on the arms and legs in a pose it will eventually cause the joints to fail, and fail much much faster then a plastic one. You also can't use the standard flight stands as they will suffer the same problems. Double edged sword. It's got a cool feel for the short (very very very short in comparison to the time it just is on a shelf as eye candy) time you hold it. Outside of that it causes issues. I'd rather have my figure better suited for the 99% of its life then the 1%. As far as quality...DC metal (white metal, pot metal) has been around since before roman times. Plastic injection is under 50 years old. Much more tech and updated and quality to me so I don't see DC as some great advancement. It's how toys in the 20s where made.

The thing about the DC figures being updated and better joints and articulation is not becuase they are DC. The joints are plastic. They are just newer improvements. They can do the same joints on plastic, rubber, vinyl. So to me, that's not a sale point.

I will buy the DC figures becuase that's what they are making. If they did have a plastic option that's what I would go with. But they don't. And becuase of the outlay for basically a whole new manufacturing production line to make DC it's not going anywhere. They have to make the investment pay off first. Which is fine. I have no problem buying them. The 42 is one of the best figures to date. But not becuase its DC. Becuase of the improved plastic based joints.

Right now we don't really have a choice between a DC and a Injection molded figure. And I don't foresee there ever being one. But I don't see DC as a great sales pitch either. And the amount of DC used is an even bigger sham. Somehow they have convinced people that the amount of a cheap by product metal used in a toy matters. Great marketing.

I wasn't saying that more weight necessarily equals better quality. That may be a small part of it but I think DC makes the figures look more "real". The plastic used by HT was ok but I was just expecting more for the price. DC satisfies that aspect for me. I think it's a similar argument to the King Arts vs efx Cap shield debate. Many people like the "metal" look, feel, and sound of the KA shield vs the efx version. I like both and see the pros and cons to each.

I wasn't saying that more weight necessarily equals better quality. That may be a small part of it but I think DC makes the figures look more "real". The plastic used by HT was ok but I was just expecting more for the price. DC satisfies that aspect for me. I think it's a similar argument to the King Arts vs efx Cap shield debate. Many people like the "metal" look, feel, and sound of the KA shield vs the efx version. I like both and see the pros and cons to each.

The metal look? DC has no metal look. When two parts are painted they look like the paint. Not the substrate. Sorry man but there is no metal look. When you deal with something like aluminum that's a bit different. But with pot/white metal you can't tell the difference visually. Half the parts on a hot toys DC figure (more like 70%) are still plastic. And you can't tell visually which part it which. So to me that's a perceived benefit based in a false assumption. There's no difference in the appearance between plastic and DC. If both painted with the same paint it is impossible to distinguish them. I've made many many many parts with both metal and resin and plastic and vinyl and rubber (in case you are not aware I work in props and statues and action figures) and I've made the same piece in multiple materials and if all done the same finish you can't tell the diff between plastic and DC. You can tel the diff between those two and vinyl or rubber. But that's becuase vinyl and rubber have a porous surface and absorb the finish material so you need to finish it different. But the metal used in DC and the injection molded plastic perform the same. Sorry bud, but the "metal" look is just paint. Most the mk42 is in fact still plastic.

As for Yankees response to the joints issue...it's not just physics (more weight more gravity, more wear on joints). Your 80s toy analogy doesn't matter. I was comparing a plastic vs a DC. I have some 80s figures (can't recall what the show or brand was) that where little gi joe size figures but DC and the joints are shot. I'm not talking about a standard museum pose but something like a superman in flight pose. (As I said in my first post only if the figure has DC on the limb) it will fail BEFORE a plastic arm would becuase of weight. Not that every time it would. That every joint would. But DC increases the wear and limits poses as a by product of weight. You seem to always limit your thinking to your own personal habits and experiences. I speak in broad general terms. I don't actually pose my figures in a way that DC would really bother much. But others do. And the possibility and probability is there wether your 80s personal toys are mint or not.

Some good conversation and insight here. All I have to say is I like the Heartbreaker as much as the MK 43; the material they're made of doesn't matter to me as long as the figure is well done and true to the topic. I don't handle my figures every day and have no need to feel the weight and cool metal in my hand. I personally would like to see DC done away with because of the price it adds; that price puts limits on what I can afford so I end up buying fewer figures. In my mind it would be a better business model to sell more figures at a cheaper price than less at a higher price...but then again I've never been in business.

The only problem I've had with diecast HT figures is that sometimes the joints are too weak to hold them up under their own power, which makes them harder to pose... that's definitely not a deal breaker for me, buy its worth noting that the only diecast figure from HT that i own that can hold itself up in any position is mk 43.

Iron patriot, war machine mk 3 (im3 version) and hot rod all fall over when the legs spread by themselves when I spread the legs even a little bit for a pose. I don't have any problems like that with plastic.

Maybe the joints are metal? Metal rachet joints might help with holding poses. Might actually be needed for something of this size. Unless it's 90% plastic.

KA has changed the pose, putting in the mark 43!

ka hulk 1.jpg
ka hulk 2.jpg
ka hulk 3.jpg

That looks amazing.. Really the only difference I see as of now between KA and HT is HT has a bit more chipped/rough paint for a more realistic look and the size. KA figures so far are known to have better articulation than HT figures.. so I wouldn't doubt KA would be more poseable. Looking damn good. I am still a bit confused about the Hulkbuster head.. how is it going to rotate?

Maybe the silver collar part swivels? Not sure. It looks mint though.

I'm imagining playing with the figure, & yeah, I am a bit concerned about the MKXLIII clanging around in the Hulkbuster now. Unless it's somehow secured in there, I might limit messing around with it, with the MkXLIII inside. But when it's in Hulkbuster mode, without MkXLIII inside, I can go crazy .....

If KA can do it, I like idea of a clean finish Hulkbuster. I can't remember any HT armour I've owned, that doesn't have that slightly weathered paint app. Might be a nice change.

KA has just revealed that the whole mark 43 can be put inside the hulkbuster.
however, it will somehow affect the lower body movement of the hulkbuster.
to get full mobility, you should detached the legs from the mark 43 before putting it inside.

Removable legs? Options. Nice.

Official specs from KA (no I didn't use google translate, it's written like this on their english website):
King Arts said:
King Arts * 1/9 Diecast Figure Series * DFS012 * Diecast Action Hulkbuster Preorder Now!!!

Product introduction
Iron Man Armored Mark 44, " Hulkbuster ", as the name implies, is designed to compete and against Hulk . To be able to fight with the Hulk, he is designed to be a huge , both weight and strength! In the movie "The Avengers 2: Ages of Ultron", the Hulkbuster and Hulk sparring plot shock people.

Product Series: 1/9 Diecast Figure series
Product Name: 1/9 Hulkbuster
Product Code: DFS012
Film Authorized :<< Avengers 2:Age of Ultron >>

Product Specification
Product Measurement: 41CM (Height)
Material Used:Alloy +ABS

Product Features
* Eyes, chest, hands, feet and other body altogether 16 lamps bit
* Helmet / Thorax open multiple agencies removable, magnetic structure perfect stitching
* Can be 1 / 9MK43 just put the whole, fully rendered movie plot
* Multiple body positions can be linked, movable finger
* Exhibit metallic metallic paint better
* History of the largest iron and steel armor models, high reduction, worth having

Pre-order information
Pre-order Price: HKD 3700/set

Target FOB HK shipment: Q1-Q2, 2016

yes, they just use google translate to translate the chinese into this english version. its a shame!
may be king arts still just focusing on HK and the china market. they are not interested in overseas market right now!

It's amazing how you can convince yourself that there is a difference in the painted look of DC vs Plastic. Of course you are 100℅ wrong.

Video

The video is kinda comedic in some way (I'm guessing not intentional :lol), but the KA Hulkbuster is in there, & they show a bit more of their Hulk.

VqHkxNk.png

I'm not sure, but the sound effects near the end of the video, kinda made me feel like it was a hint towards the "Go to sleep" fist maybe?

Video

The video is kinda comedic in some way (I'm guessing not intentional :lol), but the KA Hulkbuster is in there, & they show a bit more of their Hulk.

VqHkxNk.png

I'm not sure, but the sound effects near the end of the video, kinda made me feel like it was a hint towards the "Go to sleep" fist maybe?

Because it is the Go to Sleep punch. lol.

I meant a hint that it's the add on piece to the KA Hulkbuster that some have mentioned :lol

Back