Justice League Dark - Animated Film (Fall 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC is destroying their own character...keep it up and nobody will care about their cashcow...He was my favorite character always but what DC is doing with him is a joke, not to mention boring.

I actually agree with this, and not just Batman but with Superman as well. As old and campy as the Reeves Superman movies are, they are still better than Cavill any day of the week.

Anyone pick this up today or have seen it? I got my copy and will be watching it this Friday. I haven't heard too much about it but reviews seem to be good on it.

Mine got delivered this morning, so I'll be watching it tonight or tomorrow night.

Crazy thing is that amazon is sold out of both the bluray and dvd for it! They won't be back in stock until like next week.

So I just finished it.

I can def understand why it sold out on amazon.

This was one of DC's best animated movies to date. If you were concerned it was going to be on the quality of The Killing Joke, I hope to alleviate you fears. The animation was extremely well done for like 99% of the movie. There's the 1 or 2 shots that looks funny, but its mostly with the extra characters. The fights scenes (especially the final one) were absolutely phenomenal. The characters are where this film shines though. Matt Ryan is back as Constantine and plays him like he was ripped from the comic pages. He's also not as censored as he was on the live action show. Which is another thing, this movie has a lot of dark visual elements in it. I'm talking we see innocent people hanging from meat hooks within the 1st 5 min of the film. It tones down on the grittiness as the film goes on, substituting for a more magical/fantastical vibe, but the movie never ventures anywhere close to the campy-ness of a DC show for kids. It's def rated R for a reason, but never feels like its forcing anything in to grab that R rating. The rest of the cast besides Constantine were very well casted, and utilized in ways that fit their on paper counterparts from the comics. The only character that felt slightly shoe-horned in was Swamp Thing. The character was awesome don't get me wrong, but he was severely underused and it felt like he was really only needed to be a total badass during the final fight scene. They did however touch upon his struggle with wanting to rejoin humanity and it was a very powerful scene for fans of the character, but it could be a miss if you aren't familiar with him. Deadman served as the comic relief, but he had his heroic moments as well. Jason Blood/Etrigan were well written as well and we get a very easy to understand backstory for them both, and honestly they had some of the best scenes in the film. Zatanna was awesome. She kicked major ass with John actually forcing her to restrain herself from going straight up scorched earth at one point. Her and John had a history that is naturally explored through very well written and acted dialogue vs having a myriad of backflashes shoved down our throats. The chemistry between them was great, and their romance never stole focus from the film which I appreciated. Batman was kind of just there being a skeptic, but he had some of the funnier scenes in the film. Ending was handled very well and felt great for most of all involved. Don't want to spoil anything, but John may or may not charm Zatanna for going with him for a drink. Even Deadman possibly found a date! All in all this was mostly everything I wanted from a Justice League Dark film. The only things I would have wanted to see were more Swamp Thing, and include Andrew Bennett as a character as well. I am very happy with my Blu-ray purchase and fully recommend the film if you are a fan of the DC Universe and especially is your a fan of magical based hero characters. DC's magical universe is one of the best in comics and this film shows off what they have to offer in spades. Def check it out!

Just finished it. Easily one of the best of DC's animated movies. Excellent story and excellent characters. Ready for that live action one.

Back