Just imagine how Raiders would've been if...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I wasn't the hottest actor in town, but I was getting better," he recalls. "So after I had done the pilot, before it was picked up, I went to audition for Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. I was one of the last guys to get in the room. I did a screen test. I had blown most of the screen tests I had done, but this time I was philosophic because I had a hunch that 'Magnum' might work. I was relaxed, and I tested pretty well. And they offered me Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Selleck told Spielberg and Lucas that he had done a television pilot that might be picked up for the new season. "Nobody does that. But that's just the way I think. I guess I got this ethical sense from my mom and dad. Lucas and Spielberg were quite impressed that I told them, but they weren't concerned that the 'Magnum' thing would get in the way, because they said they had cards to play with the network and they would work it out. But I guess CBS didn't want a guy doing a movie who was going to do a series, and I finally had to say no. That's all history now, and it was Harrison Ford's deal."

Im glad Harrison got the role but I think Tom wouldve done pretty well with Spielbergs help.

"I wasn't the hottest actor in town, but I was getting better," he recalls. "So after I had done the pilot, before it was picked up, I went to audition for Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. I was one of the last guys to get in the room. I did a screen test. I had blown most of the screen tests I had done, but this time I was philosophic because I had a hunch that 'Magnum' might work. I was relaxed, and I tested pretty well. And they offered me Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Selleck told Spielberg and Lucas that he had done a television pilot that might be picked up for the new season. "Nobody does that. But that's just the way I think. I guess I got this ethical sense from my mom and dad. Lucas and Spielberg were quite impressed that I told them, but they weren't concerned that the 'Magnum' thing would get in the way, because they said they had cards to play with the network and they would work it out. But I guess CBS didn't want a guy doing a movie who was going to do a series, and I finally had to say no. That's all history now, and it was Harrison Ford's deal."

Im glad Harrison got the role but I think Tom wouldve done pretty well with Spielbergs help.

Those picks are great. He would have made an amazing Indy.

Did not know that, who is ST? Also wasn't Jean Claude Van Damme supposed to be the Predator in the Original film?

Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Selleck probably would have done a nice job, but as good a job as Ford did? I don't know. I have hard time imagining that one.

As much as Ford now OWNS the role, I think Selleck would have been just as bad-ass. Though it's hard imagining Indy with black hair and a moustache.

Funny I was just thinking about this last night. I think it would have been big, but not as big.

Those picts are from a Magnum episode in which they parody Raiders.
He wore the fedora and leather jacket.

Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Selleck probably would have done a nice job, but as good a job as Ford did? I don't know. I have hard time imagining that one.

Thank you very much for that info!

I'm sure he would have been great in the role, but it would have been different... just like any movie would be different if 1 or 2 roles had been cast differently.

It does make you wonder if somehow it could have even been better since there was something strong they felt in his ability to be Indy. But of course its so hard to divorce Indy from Harrison as it is a role he owns so strongly.

And I still think if Henrickson had been the Terminator it probably would have been better, but no denying Arnold crushed that role.

I think Selleck would have done a great job in the roll. I think back to his humor in Magnum and what he did in Quigley down under-in that he brought the serious side with some humor.

I think the principal difference if Sellek had been cast instead of Ford in "RotLA" is Indy would have been taller. Yeah, mostly that.
But that devito thing is unimaginable. Crikey.

Do you think he would have kept the mustache if he played Indy? True, it was his trademark feature at the time.

Possibly. Since it was set in the 1930's, having a tall, dark leading man with a moustache wouldn't have been out of place.
Plus there is piece of concept artwork, which does suspiciously resemble Selleck more than Ford. Notice the dark hair and features:

mo_02.jpg
larry_manetti_tom_selleck.jpg

Possibly. Since it was set in the 1930's, having a tall, dark leading man with a moustache wouldn't have been out of place.
Plus there is piece of concept artwork, which does suspiciously resemble Selleck more than Ford. Notice the dark hair and features:

mo_02.jpg
larry_manetti_tom_selleck.jpg

Nice find. I've always liked Selleck in everything he did so I'm sure that I would have enjoyed his take on Indy-- different than Ford no doubt but I'm sure it would have been good.

Back