Just bought a RWoS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great statue and one of my favorites. Great detail and he just looks like he is looking right through you.

,..congrats,..i heard the high numbered ones,..4000 and up.,,, have painting problems,..is that true?? :confused: ..
anyway,..this is by far the best ss/weta lotr statue,...really awesome,..:cool:

Anakin said:
,..congrats,..i heard the high numbered ones,..4000 and up.,,, have painting problems,..is that true?? :confused: ..

Yes, that is true. The later pieces don't have a "matte" paintjob, and instead look glossy and unrealistic. I made sure to get an earlier piece (I have #2166), when I bought mine.

tomandshell said:
That's weird! Why would they change the paint application partway through the production run? Odd. I do hope mine looks nice.

I'm sure it wasn't intentional. Remember that Sideshow produced these over several years, so there were bound to be some differences.

Gandalf the Grey also has the same problem. Some of the early pieces had purple fingernails, which were corrected later. The early Theodens were also notoriously different than their later counterparts.

Nice Pick-UP Tom! This is THE piece that in my mind embodies the LotR trilogy. Frodo who? :nazgul

elwood49 said:
Yes, that is true. The later pieces don't have a "matte" paintjob, and instead look glossy and unrealistic. I made sure to get an earlier piece (I have #2166), when I bought mine.

That's not true. Mine is in the very high 4000's and it's not glossy. As a matter of fact, it looks the same as the other three I've seen which were below 4000.

Fritz said:
That's not true. Mine is in the very high 4000's and it's not glossy. As a matter of fact, it looks the same as the other three I've seen which were below 4000.

Hooray for Fritz!!! Now I am not quite as nervous about my brand new, broken, shiny, bowlegged Ringwraith on Steed!! :D

Seriously, it's been fun getting everybody's feedback about this piece. I am glad I will finally have it in my collection.

Hmm.. I got an early Gandalf the grey, who go purple fingernails. Looks kind of wierd but it's a great statue. I would allmost say my favourite, though thats just the fingernails, I wonder how it will look if the entire statue looks wierd:confused:

I was just checking mine and mine is #4459 and isn't anymore shiny than any other piece I own.

mine is also in the 4000's and isn't shiny, but the first one I recieved which was damaged and numbered in the 4000's was. The robe was much darker and looked like the paint was still wet if that makes any sense. also with regards to gandalf the grey I recieved one from the newer batches and noticed that his robe wasn't as dark and nearly matched the color of his scarf. I ended up purchasing an older one with the robe being distinctly darker than the scarf. actually if you look at the size comparison picture of gandalf the grey with sauron on sideshow's website you can see that he has the lighter robe, but if you look at the actual gandalf the grey product page his robe is much darker.

I love this piece, but it's one that current funds won't allow me to purchase any time soon.:monkey2

Here's a picture of my new arrival. My camera just makes this guy look terrible! He's really not shiny like that--he looks soaking wet in this picture, but it's the best I could get. Without the flash, it was a mess.

Thankfully, he arrived in great shape with no problems, and he fit right onto his base immediately with no hair dryer needed for leg coaxing. For something that looks just plain black at first, there is actually a lot of detail in the paint application, with lots of little mud splatters, cuts in the horse hide, and bits of rusted metal or worn leather in the bridle. He just has a lot of presence and reminds me so much of The Fellowship of the Ring. He captures the ominous feeling and creepy vibe you got when watching these guys in the first film.

Unfortunately, he is going right back into his box for a month, until my new display cabinet arrives. I finally ordered an enclosed case that will protect my statues from the kids, so that they won't all be exiled to the office. I think that my new RWoS will look nice in his new home.

rwos8kv.jpg

Here's a less "shiny" shot:

Back