JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hhmmm, the added pic of the custom bust there from the SWS designs is may confuse things for people, being that it's a custom and not a SS product, but in terms of the dots alone, they do appear only to accentuate the features when the flash is adjusted. That first series of pics did cause me to jump out of my skin, though. Seemed ghastly with the full flash, without it seems perfectly fine as it would under natural lighting and as it does on the website pics as well. Thanks very much for the adjusted pics, btw; that served to mitigate worries.

And tecnically, the sex of every animal on Isla Nublar is left more than a bit ambiguous, what with the resurgent characters of otherwise latent amphibian DNA and it having initially been a single sex environment. ;) Can't say the same for environmental pressures on Isla Sorna, though, where both sexes were bred in order to continuously allow for the animals to breed and be placed on display, sans a less-desirable constant reliance upon amber mines.

Again, thanks so very, very much for the adjusted pic. My fears are alleviated for the time being. I'll just have to wait a few whether or not they can be allayed with all certitude.

Sure thing Scar, but if you want yours to look good. A repaint is in order.

Btw, the bust won't confuse the guys here. It only serves as an example for us JP fans what SS can do with the license. I highly doubt most of us here really cares about the rich background of the story, all we need is a solid JP product and well...this dio doesn't quite make it. We can still hope there are more coming though.

Last edited:
I'm going out of town so I had SS hold my shipment, I am excited to get this though.

Sure thing Scar, but if you want yours to look good. A repaint is in order.

Btw, the bust won't confure the guys here. It only serves as an example for us JP fans what SS can do with the license. I highly doubt most of us here really cares about the rich background of the story, all we need is a solid JP product and well...this dio doesn't quite make it. We can still hope there are more coming though.

Still think it could serve to confound being a custom collectible; it wouldn't have been the case were it labeled instead of just put in among the other pics. I know you were placing it as a comparison as to what a high quality collectible company could do with such a license, just thought it might obfiscate some people about SS plans for the line without a label. It's quibbling, I know; just a thought on my part, not a criticism.

I will, however, take issue that collectors could care less about the richness of the Jurassic Park story. It's usually people who are immersed in the story a great deal who are willing to spend $300 on a one-foot-tall diorama depicting one of the story's scenes. Still, the fact that there are such collectors alone should provide evidence that there is a market for a "solid JP product". Still holding out for a maquette similar to that released for the Predator, myself. Wouldn't make my checking account happy, but it'd make me happy.

*EDIT* And thanks again, thx, for the adjusted pic. It really did help to relieve my trepidation. And I agree, the dinos could use another paintjob in order to have the colors screen accurate... all of the dinos could stand to be a bit darker.

Last edited:
Just read that Crichton has died after battling cancer - was a fan of a lot of his work, both in the JP franchise and the earlier years of E.R. Definitely a creative talent that will be missed.

Here are some pics of the diorama...
Overall, I think its a great piece and it captures the end scene very nicely, I do like the exclusive banner, it adds a really nice touch.
The size is rather small and the black dots on the T-rex's face are a little exaggerated.

dino2-1.jpg

dino5.jpg

dino3.jpg

dino6.jpg

VERY nice! I'm still not sure how best to display mine. I had the banner in mid-fall like that initially, but then placed it beneath the Tyrannosaur's feet for better realism. I don't know which I prefer. Well, I'll only post a few shots since many of them like identical to the poses above.

eBay015.jpg

eBay018.jpg

eBay019.jpg

eBay020.jpg

eBay021.jpg

eBay022.jpg

eBay023.jpg

eBay024.jpg

eBay025.jpg

Having this in hand, all reservations about its appearance, the black flecks across the skull, and even the size, have evaporated. I really don't think pictures can do this justice. It's awesome. Simply awesome.

I really like the way you can see the wounds that the attacking raptor is inflicting, as well as the way it looks like the T.rex's teeth are literally carving through the other raptor with ease. The paint gradation is also exceptional. They did an excellent job so that you can see the bones, muscles, and blood vessels well through the skin. The detail is excellent. I won't be having this repainted. Sideshow delivered.

On another, more personal note. It's very fitting to have this piece in hand following such an immensely tragic loss; I'm speaking of course of the death of Michael Crichton, the visionary and founder of the Jurassic feast. Long live the King! :rock

Nice work on the banner Fel! :clap

I don't dig the black specks on the T-Rex's face; but maybe in person it isn't as bad.

:confused:

Got my JP diorama today, (bad luck) the raptor in t- rex's mouth is missiing his tongue, and the raptor on t- rex's back, tail is chipped off at the tip and painted over.so cornerstorecomics is working on me a replacement.this was done at the factory, because i didn't find any of the pieces in the packageing.

LOL those black dots and blood make the piece look uber cheap..what terrible paint apps.
Again, I don't think pictures do it justice. It's breathtaking in person.

Also, sorry to hear about your damaged piece! :google Yikes! I hope they can sort it out for you in short order!

I hope I'm not offending any owners of this statue by giving my candid opinion in such a critical way but here it is:

I got mine today. The paint job SUCKS !!!!! The small size SUCKS!!! The raptors look especially ridiculous because of their small size. They made the base bigger than usual to compensate for the undersized figures (it's actually a cool base).

The lower jaw on the T-Rex pops in with a magnet and as a result there is a big seam line all along the bottom of the mouth that makes it look like you picked the statue up from Toys R' Us.

O.K., now here comes the "big contradiction". I'm still glad I got it because it's cool enough to capture that great and memorable scene from one of the very best movies ever. :google

It's actually MUCH worse in person !!!

Perhaps the individual apps on your piece were much more pronounced. In person, my seem extremely subtle and accentuating.

I don't dig the black specks on the T-Rex's face; but maybe in person it isn't as bad.

I said the same thing when I initially saw the pictures posted of a piece in-hand. It made me apprehensive and even a bit angry that a collectible I have been awaiting for over 15 years should have such a poor, last minute paint app.

However, like I said above, the flecks of black don't detract from the piece at all, and I think seeing the piece in person they may even add a bit of needed contrast in a piece of this scale.

I couldn't disagree more with what was said about the paint apps making it look "cheap." Being that the raptor is essentially being ripped in half, there should be a spectacular amount of gore, and the sculpt pulls off marvelously that the animal is being shaken and cleaved like a mouse by a cat. It's perfect, imho.

I've long had high expectations for the piece, became apprehensive when I saw the in-hand pics, and admittedly remained apprehensive until I removed the statue from the box. Pictures fail to capture just how beautiful it is. It is one of the most prized pieces in my collection now... admittedly ahead of such pieces as Ex Lurtz, the Jaws maquette, and the SSW Sauron and Morgul Lord.

I will say that I have an obvious bias, being an obsessive JP fan, but they truly pulled off the climactic dynamism that the scene deserves. It captures the essence of the primal fury of the scene elegantly. Pictures just don't achieve the effect that the dio has in person. Not by a long shot.

Exactly. Wait till you see it in person. One of the biggest disappointments of my Sideshow collection. The point of my posts is to emphasize how much Sideshow has lowered there standards. You don't need super talented painters to get a better paint job than what was done on these statues. I paint kits myself and I know that it aint that hard to get better than this. All the ones I am seeing suck and seeing one in person really puts the nail in the coffin. And the small size is a real downer. Big fat "F" for Sideshow on this one.

No offense Scar, nothing wrong with having very different opinions.

Last edited:
Back