JURASSIC PARK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it all depends on how you interpret that video. I took away from it that they were proud of how the JP piece turned out and the reaction to it, but that ultimately they want to go their own way for the freedom it offers them now that they know there's support for such a product line. They also made a comment about Stan Winston in there that sounded to me like relations may not be the same after Stan's passing, like they may not work together with SWS anymore, who knows.

As long as you're happy with things, that's what counts, just throwing out my perceptions and interpretations.

I found that Vid to contain a lot of hollow talk about how they could give these Dinosaurs their individual personality now that they're doing them within their own product line.
Can anybody please point me to aforementioned personality in the announced piece because what I see is a generic, albeit nicely sculpted, dino diorama.
How can they proclaim that their Dino's can possibly match the "personality" of the only available non-generic creatures from JP?

My understanding of the whole personality thing was more to do with physical traits.

The first piece shows scarring on both dinosaurs. I think what they were getting at is if they want a T-Rex in one piece to be like an alpha male or something where he's the big fighter, lots of scars, maybe a missing eye, things that suggest a past life and persona to the creatures instead of just straight anatomical replication, they can do it. With JP, if you do a dio of a scene and put a scar that wasn't there, the license holder may not approve and if they do, fans probably won't. Dinosauria is pure freedom for them creatively.

Yeah it's probably my lack of imagination that I can't see much personality in physical traits like that. :huh

Well if it doesn't sell, they'll drop it in a heartbeat as they always do. You know it.

Well personality isn't really the best word to describe it, it's hard giving animals like dinosaurs personality in a freeze frame.

Especially if you have no underlying material to back it up, like, well, a successful movie. :rolleyes:

I think it all depends on how you interpret that video. I took away from it that they were proud of how the JP piece turned out and the reaction to it, but that ultimately they want to go their own way for the freedom it offers them now that they know there's support for such a product line. They also made a comment about Stan Winston in there that sounded to me like relations may not be the same after Stan's passing, like they may not work together with SWS anymore, who knows.

As long as you're happy with things, that's what counts, just throwing out my perceptions and interpretations.

Not a bad way to interpret it. I wouldn't read too much into anything about SWS. I expect they'll do the best they can to carry on Stan's legacy and the warm relations that they carried out with other industries. They are like a family there, it's a true geniality and common bond that brings those guys together. I can't see anything going south with them unless something serious happens. God, I still miss Stan. It's hard to believe we're not going to have his ingenious mind behind movie monsters anymore. We can just hope that his influence lives on in the lives of those he touched. Again, based on the video, I'm hopeful. It's all in the eye of the beholder when it comes down to it.

My understanding of the whole personality thing was more to do with physical traits.

The first piece shows scarring on both dinosaurs. I think what they were getting at is if they want a T-Rex in one piece to be like an alpha male or something where he's the big fighter, lots of scars, maybe a missing eye, things that suggest a past life and persona to the creatures instead of just straight anatomical replication, they can do it. With JP, if you do a dio of a scene and put a scar that wasn't there, the license holder may not approve and if they do, fans probably won't. Dinosauria is pure freedom for them creatively.

The description of the alpha male T.rex made me hunger to see such a statue soon. :drool Not outlandish, and it seems we got such an animal in this dio... though I would much like to see a statue. That's part of why I would like to see a piece with the TLW T.rex family, or even the two adults tearing apart the Mercedes to get at the juicy treat (Eddie Carr) inside. SWS put so much detail into that male T.rex to make it an alpha male individual, with heavy scarring, a more prominent brow, and even a fractured rib on its right side. Come to think of it, I think the scene of Eddie's demise would right high up on the list of dios I'd like to see. I love what they did with the T.rex alone in this first Dinosauria dio, with so many healed wounds and fractures. It's extremely well done.

Yeah it's probably my lack of imagination that I can't see much personality in physical traits like that. :huh

Well if it doesn't sell, they'll drop it in a heartbeat as they always do. You know it.

Must be. In point of fact, most zoologists and paleontologists alike would argue that in large, aggressive carnivores or herbivores, the stories of their lives can be told by the scars they bear. I can think of several examples among crocodilians, lions, hyenas, and perhaps most prominently today among Great White sharks. The paleoartist in that video makes an excellent point (sorry, his name escapes me). He mentions being able to distinguish T.rex skeletons by their healed, fossilized injuries. Such wounds can help paleontologists piece together what type of life this animal lived, whether it died from the injuries it sustained, what caused the injuries (if, for instance, it was a conspecific), or whether it lived just a life that was matched in its ferocity only by its brevity; it's exactly how many carnivores do live - short and fierce. Exceptions are found in certain gregarious animals that are fortunate to survive long enough to be senior members and receive privileged access to resources. Now I'm digressing, but suffice it to say, and perhaps this is just coming from a biologist's perspective, but scars on carnivores in particular tell you a lot about them; in older individuals it attests to good genes in many cases... being that, if they live to a ripe age and are riddled with scars, they were probably very skilled combatants and capable of yielding young with similar traits. It unequivocally distinguishes them as individuals and gives them character.

Well personality isn't really the best word to describe it, it's hard giving animals like dinosaurs personality in a freeze frame.

I think this piece does an excellent job of it. ;)

I think this piece does an excellent job of it. ;)

Well what I was getting at is personality really ties to behavior, and in a freeze frame without prior frames to establish a personality, you can't convey that.

I'd say what these pieces will have is character. They won't be just random animals; by adding scars and things, history will be created for them, and the first dio does do that.

Guess what I'm saying is personality isn't the word, but the premise the word is being used officially to describe is good and evident in the piece, just need a different word to articulate it.

Well what I was getting at is personality really ties to behavior, and in a freeze frame without prior frames to establish a personality, you can't convey that.

I'd say what these pieces will have is character. They won't be just random animals; by adding scars and things, history will be created for them, and the first dio does do that.

Guess what I'm saying is personality isn't the word, but the premise the word is being used officially to describe is good and evident in the piece, just need a different word to articulate it.

Ah, I see what you're saying. With any statue, since it is a static moment, it's hard to fully convey personality. What's great about these pieces, and for statues and dios in general, is that we're allowed to let our imaginations run wild with possibilities.

Must be. In point of fact, most zoologists and paleontologists alike would argue that in large, aggressive carnivores or herbivores, the stories of their lives can be told by the scars they bear. I can think of several examples among crocodilians, lions, hyenas, and perhaps most prominently today among Great White sharks. The paleoartist in that video makes an excellent point (sorry, his name escapes me). He mentions being able to distinguish T.rex skeletons by their healed, fossilized injuries. Such wounds can help paleontologists piece together what type of life this animal lived, whether it died from the injuries it sustained, what caused the injuries (if, for instance, it was a conspecific), or whether it lived just a life that was matched in its ferocity only by its brevity; it's exactly how many carnivores do live - short and fierce. Exceptions are found in certain gregarious animals that are fortunate to survive long enough to be senior members and receive privileged access to resources. Now I'm digressing, but suffice it to say, and perhaps this is just coming from a biologist's perspective, but scars on carnivores in particular tell you a lot about them; in older individuals it attests to good genes in many cases... being that, if they live to a ripe age and are riddled with scars, they were probably very skilled combatants and capable of yielding young with similar traits. It unequivocally distinguishes them as individuals and gives them character.

I can cope with that from a biological point of view when the creature in question actually existed. Nice explanation btw.

I can cope with that from a biological point of view when the creature in question actually existed. Nice explanation btw.

I can respect that. Thanks, btw; all animal life both extinct and extant, large carnivores in particular, are passions of mine. :D

Mine arrived today, here are some pictures:
DSCN0210.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

... What's with the black dots all over the face? Aside from that it looks excellent, but that's truly a glaring feature that's distracting and... inexplicable. Why would they add that?

I think it's just my flash brings them out so well. In person, the skin is a lot darker, so in contrast to the skin, they don't stick out as just tiny individual dots.

I think my biggest grudge is the raptor on the side. He looks more spotted than striped. Looks more like a gecko raptor or something.

arrgghh ! what the hell are all those spots !. Did your flash really bring them out so bad ? , I'm paranoied now. Could you take a photo minus the flash please !.

I'm kinda surprised folks are freaking out about those dots, they're there clear as day in the updated SIdeshow picks everyone got excited about.

8118_press05-001.jpg

I'm curious as to the quality of the banner, what's it made of? Is there a wire in it to pose it?

I think the piece looks great.
I canceld mine because I want to get all the TDK and IRON man stuff first.
I will get this dio in the future for sure.

Ohh yeaa I almost forgot indy pf.

I'm sure the dots are meant to accentuate his facial features, and I highly doubt it makes him looks like hes from some tattoo'd African tribe. The figures never look good when you light them up like theyre on the gynecologists table, and camera flash's seem to do just that. The flash on my camera seems to make every one of my pieces look horrible, but when you put normal light on them they look great, and I bet this Dio looks great in person. :D

I'm sure the dots are meant to accentuate his facial features.

The dots really doesn't accentuate HER facial features. :D

Due to the size of this piece, the "dots" should be treated a lot more lightly and it shouldn't be countable(yes, you can count how many dots are there).

Here's a quick adjustment.

Last edited:
Back