Jordan Peele’s Us

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I agree with most of what your saying. I was disappointed with Get Out and just thought Us was pretty good. But after a second viewing and forgetting the hype I know Us is highly entertaining and an overall well made movie (good set pieces, great score, just minute to minute intriguing). But I don’t think it touches hereditary/ the witch. In fact I put lesser liked movies higher in my recent horror list (overlord, hell fest).. As a fellow horror fan I don’t see why you would find this movie so negative when it at least checks off a bunch of boxes that maybe 50% of horror movies don’t these days. Not to mention the balls he has for making such a goofy concept into a movie. This movie is nothing but a positive thing for the horror genre. If 90% of ccritics on rotten tomatoes found this movie to be slightly above average I would agree with them. I certainly don’t find it to be a masterpiece but damn it is way better then La Lorena will be, better than the awful conjuring spin offs, and much better than the recent Prodigy. And just as a plus it’s got a black cast and director.

Without question the Hype drives me crazy and I hold it against this film.. :lol

The Hype for The Witch almost did the same thing accept when the film ended I could not get it out of my head. The next day I kept thinking about it and began to realize more and more what a great film it was.

That is not happening with this film. I just really had issues with the reason behind the tethered and thought the "twist" was weak and these issues are bothering me more with the passage of time.

That is not to say that I disliked everything.

I found the film at its best when the other family was attacked by the tethered and Lupita Nyong'o family confrontation of them. That is when I was like.. What the hell is going on :lol I was intrigued for sure. I also liked the opening in the hall of mirrors.

The initial attack on Lupita's family did not grab me for some reason. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be creepy. Just didn't work for me.

I am sure I will give it another shot at some point. Perhaps I will appreciate the technical aspects a bit more and be more forgiving of the issues.

As of now, it was a slightly above average home invasion movie with an attempt at adding in the Twilight Zone . Which could have been cool but the twilight zone ball was dropped.

What’s so scary bout the witch? Is it really that goat talking at the end cause that movie wasn’t scary to me at all

What’s so scary bout the witch? Is it really that goat talking at the end cause that movie wasn’t scary to me at all

I had heard such great things about this movie but found it to be so very boring and a complete letdown.

I had heard such great things about this movie but found it to be so very boring and a complete letdown.

Same here.

I've even rewatched it to see if maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it the first time and I could barely make it through.

True...but I will take the advice of a snob over an idiot any day of the week.

:lol

But sometimes the idiots get it right and the critics miss the boat. Especially when it comes to horror films.

Personally I trust people who tend to share my taste... If that’s a critic great... if it’s an average joe... I have no issue there either.

Last edited:

Same here.

I've even rewatched it to see if maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it the first time and I could barely make it through.

The Witch is just a film that grew on me with each passing day.

Everything from coming to the realization that the title itself was referring to Anya Taylor Joy to all the visuals and references to actual witch craft. I love that Anya was the original target all along by Satan and his witches coven. That she had to be taken to a state of complete despair to be willing to sell her soul and become a possession of the Devil..

Its just a film that I loved to think about for about for a couple of weeks after I saw it.

Great article that I completely agreed with back when the film first came out..

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/the-witch/253108/the-witch-has-one-of-horrors-greatest-endings#

It wasn’t scary.... are any films scary anymore? I just loved it as a horror film.

Not really. Scary movies today are all about a lil girl getting haunted or possessed. Same ****. Different movie. It’s tired and cliche. I liked the witch but it wasn’t scary. Unsettling yes but not scary like most say. I don’t think any movies today are scary. Whenever a movie comes out that is said to be the scariest movie in years I find it meh.

I personally don't about the color of who directs / writes / stars in the film. But I do wonder if it does to some of the main stream critics..

Just deliver a good film. Peele has been close twice but not hit the mark for me yet.

Of the two films I thought that Get Out was the better movie overall and more watchable.

It certainly feels like if you give a bad review to a movie that’s predominantly black now you’ll be seen as racist. Or maybe it’s an mcu bias? Cause ragnorak sucked to me but that film was so groundbreaking in the eyes of critics. Also black panther was a good film but it had its flaws.

It certainly feels like if you give a bad review to a movie that’s predominantly black now you’ll be seen as racist. Or maybe it’s an mcu bias? Cause ragnorak sucked to me but that film was so groundbreaking in the eyes of critics. Also black panther was a good film but it had its flaws.

Nah...The Adventures of Pluto Nash starring Eddie Murphy and a predominantly black cast sits at 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, Tyler Perry's Halloween Madea movie got a whopping 5%, Proud Mary with Taraji P. Henson was 26% on RT...funny I don't recal anyone accusing the critic community of racism when they jusitifiably savaged those movies. I think the bigger issue is that in some cases movies with predominantly black casts or filmmakers that get great reviews are often accused of only receiving the accolades because of the assumption that critics are praising the films out of fear of being accused of racism. When in reality the issues are in the heads of the people making those claims and the critics or awards groups more than likely actually liked the movie.

Nah...The Adventures of Pluto Nash starring Eddie Murphy and a predominantly black cast sits at 4% on Rotten Tomatoes, Tyler Perry's Halloween Madea movie got a whopping 5%, Proud Mary with Taraji P. Henson was 26% on RT...funny I don't recal anyone accusing the critic community of racism when they jusitifiably savaged those movies. I think the bigger issue is that in some cases movies with predominantly black casts or filmmakers that get great reviews are often accused of only receiving the accolades because of the assumption that critics are praising the films out of fear of being accused of racism. When in reality the issues are in the heads of the people making those claims and the critics or awards groups more than likely actually liked the movie.

Exactly

Let me say you make a great point and I get what you are saying 100%

But You just picked unquestionably bad movies. So I am not sure they count :lol

I am not saying that it’s definitely the case with Peele and Black Panther but Peele gets amazing critical acclaim and an Oscar for His films. Black Panther gets critically acclaimed and Oscar nominations.. all the those films are good but come on :lol. Really? Those movies? Where was Hereditary’s Oscar nods? Where was Infinity Wars nominations? Not saying those films are better (though I think they are) but was Get Out and BP really that much better? IMO no.. But that doesn’t mean I am right. Lol

My theory

I think critics are not worried about being considered racist.... but I think it makes them feel good about themselves... No way M Knight gets away with US explanation and plot holed twist.

Again I like all three films but can’t help but think that the praise might be more subdued if the race of everyone was different. Having said that I think it’s great to have more representation for African Americans in films that are not just about race issues... I read an article that the black community did not care to go see the movie Detroit because they were getting tired of those kind of films... If that is true then it makes all the sense in the world why Black Panther was the money maker that it was.

Whew... Feel like I am treading on dangerous ground here :lol

But I could be wrong. I may be way off... I just am not a huge fan of the two Peele movies and don’t feel BP is a best picture type movie. But ultimately that does not mean that all the critics love and praise for these films Is not all legit and it’s just a coincidence that they are three films I am less then enthused about and it’s all in my head :lol

Last edited:
Let me say you make a great point and I get what you are saying 100%

But You just picked unquestionably bad movies. So I am not sure they count :lol

I am not saying that it’s definitely the case with Peele and Black Panther but Peele gets amazing critical acclaim and an Oscar for His films. Black Panther gets critically acclaimed and Oscar nominations.. all the those films are good but come on :lol. Really? Those movies? Where was Hereditary’s Oscar nods? Where was Infinity Wars nominations? Not saying those films are better (though I think they are) but was Get Out and BP really that much better? IMO no.. But that doesn’t mean I am right. Lol

My theory

I think critics are not worried about being considered racist.... but I think it makes them feel good about themselves... No way M Knight gets away with US explanation and plot holed twist.

Again I like all three films but can’t help but think that the praise might be more subdued if the race of everyone was different. Having said that I think it’s great to have more representation for African Americans in films that are not just about race issues... I read an article that the black community did not care to go see the movie Detroit because they were getting tired of those kind of films... If that is true then it makes all the sense in the world why Black Panther was the money maker that it was.

Whew... Feel like I am treading on dangerous ground here :lol

But I could be wrong. I may be way off... I just am not a huge fan of the two Peele movies and don’t feel BP is a best picture type movie. But ultimately that does not mean that all the critics love and praise for these films Is not all legit and it’s just a coincidence that they are three films I am less then enthused about and it’s all in my head :lol

Exactly.

Those are all horrible movies and made before this whole pc movement. But I feel like reviewers are scared to tear into things that are popular. Look st venom. That movie was destroyed by critics but it wasn’t that bad. A 7 at best. It was no different from any modern mcu flick like Thor or cap marvel. Yet those films get high praise

Those are all horrible movies and made before this whole pc movement. But I feel like reviewers are scared to tear into things that are popular. Look st venom. That movie was destroyed by critics but it wasn’t that bad. A 7 at best. It was no different from any modern mcu flick like Thor or cap marvel. Yet those films get high praise

Ummmm I don’t like Venom either :lol

If you think venom was as good as ragnarok or winter soilder you might want to go back and watch those movies cause venom was a joke had to watch it in 2 sittings just to get through it

Back