Joplin, Missouri Tornado

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC glad you coworker and their family are doing alright.

Here are a few of the shots my Dad took while down there.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

Scary pics...it looks like a bomb went off. I think tornadoes might be the scariest of all weather phenomena..they are so unpredictable and destructive.

Just in case anyone was interested...

The most extreme tornado in recorded history was the Tri-State Tornado, which roared through parts of Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana on March 18, 1925. It was likely an F5, though tornadoes were not ranked on any scale in that era. It holds records for longest path length (219 miles, 352 km), longest duration (about 3.5 hours), and fastest forward speed for a significant tornado (73 mph, 117 km/h) anywhere on Earth. In addition, it is the deadliest single tornado in United States history (695 dead).[21] The tornado was also the second costliest tornado in history at the time, but in the years since has been surpassed by several others if population changes over time are not considered. When costs are normalized for wealth and inflation, it ranks third today.[92]

The deadliest tornado in world history was the Daultipur-Salturia Tornado in Bangladesh on April 26, 1989, which killed approximately 1300 people.[66] Bangladesh has had at least 19 tornadoes in its history kill more than 100 people, almost half of the total in the rest of the world.

The most extensive tornado outbreak on record was the Super Outbreak, which affected a large area of the central United States and extreme southern Ontario in Canada on April 3 and 4, 1974. This outbreak, which saw 148 tornadoes develop in 18 hours, included six of F5 intensity and twenty-four that peaked at F4 strength. Sixteen tornadoes were on the ground at the same time during its peak. More than 300 people, possibly as many as 330, were killed by tornadoes during this outbreak.[93]

While direct measurement of the most violent tornado wind speeds is nearly impossible, since conventional anemometers would be destroyed by the intense winds, some tornadoes have been scanned by mobile Doppler radar units, which can provide a good estimate of the tornado's winds. The highest wind speed ever measured in a tornado, which is also the highest wind speed ever recorded on the planet, is 301 ± 20 mph (484 ± 32 km/h) in the F5 Bridge Creek-Moore, Oklahoma, tornado which killed 36 people.[94] Though the reading was taken about 100 feet (30 m) above the ground, this is a testament to the power of the strongest tornadoes.[2]

Storms that produce tornadoes can feature intense updrafts, sometimes exceeding 150 mph (240 km/h). Debris from a tornado can be lofted into the parent storm and carried a very long distance. A tornado which affected Great Bend, Kansas, in November 1915, was an extreme case, where a "rain of debris" occurred 80 miles (130 km) from the town, a sack of flour was found 110 miles (177 km) away, and a cancelled check from the Great Bend bank was found in a field outside of Palmyra, Nebraska, 305 miles (491 km) to the northeast.[95] Waterspouts and tornadoes have been advanced as an explanation for instances of raining fish and other animals.[96]

Full article is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_records

Scary pics...it looks like a bomb went off. I think tornadoes might be the scariest of all weather phenomena..they are so unpredictable and destructive.

They are scary that's for sure both the pics and tornados. When I first saw images on tv I said to my folks that it looked like a bomb went off. You get used to it living in the midwest but when it's this close to your backdoor not so much (or some family that lives 45 mins away from Joplin).

Dad said the sane thing. He also said the mcdonalds right by it was fine and if they had power probably could have opened.

Was watching the world news and this guy in Minnesota was talking during their clean up from a tornado. He said something to te effect that maybe all these storms are earths way of saying it's pissed for all the nasty stuff we do to it. I can't help but agree in some sense.

Stay safe man,atleast you don't have the National Guard in control of your town like mine last month.:wave

DC, glad you are ok brother, one of my favorite peeps on this board. We had the exact thing happen here in northern Missouri closer to Saint Louis where 2 tornadoes touched down about a month ago the night I closed on my house.

They nearly hit next to the town of where I work at and two buddies of mine lost their house. The good thing was that they were out of town whenever it happened and were visiting family in Springfield MO.

I said this the "everything hate thread" but man whenever that tornado hit in the town over I was driving back home from inspecting our new house (the wife in the second vehicle was no more than 5 minutes ahead) and on hwy 94 up by Saint Charles, Saint Peters area I heard the dead silence of "nothingness", so eeery and then all of sudden horizontal rain pour and funnel tunnels of water going over each over pass.

Never in my life had I ever seen anything like this and of course I thought, "any time now the truck and I are history" but none the less it wasn't my time, thank you to the gods above :bow

Glad you are safe DC :rock

Heres a good way to see just how much of my state was affected last month. I am in Walker county.
tornado-damage-alabama-counties.png

DC glad you coworker and their family are doing alright.

Here are a few of the shots my Dad took while down there.

IMG_1160.jpg

This bar/restaurant is about a block North of the motel that I am staying at.

Stay safe man,at least you don't have the National Guard in control of your town like mine last month.:wave

They already have pics of the National Guard in action out here...but it seems like they are doing a very good job.

DC, glad you are ok brother, one of my favorite peeps on this board. We had the exact thing happen here in northern Missouri closer to Saint Louis where 2 tornadoes touched down about a month ago the night I closed on my house.

They nearly hit next to the town of where I work at and two buddies of mine lost their house. The good thing was that they were out of town whenever it happened and were visiting family in Springfield MO.

I said this the "everything hate thread" but man whenever that tornado hit in the town over I was driving back home from inspecting our new house (the wife in the second vehicle was no more than 5 minutes ahead) and on hwy 94 up by Saint Charles, Saint Peters area I heard the dead silence of "nothingness", so eeery and then all of sudden horizontal rain pour and funnel tunnels of water going over each over pass.

Never in my life had I ever seen anything like this and of course I thought, "any time now the truck and I are history" but none the less it wasn't my time, thank you to the gods above :bow

Glad you are safe DC :rock

Thanks, brother! looks like we can charter the "Fraternal order of the Monster Tornado Near Miss Society.

1,500 people still unaccounted for: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/us/25tornado.html

Let's hope it's a communication breakdown, like the article suggests.

Lets hope so but I don't think so based on pictures and first hand accounts.

I am assuming that the pace whith which they are finding victims suggests that it is more communication than actual casualties. I just hope I am right.

Thanks again, y'all.

And it looks like another batch of Severe T'storms/Tornados are headed our way tonight. We here just west of Kansas City managed to dodge Saturday night's mess but wonder if we're gonna be so lucky tonight.
(am already moving some of my valuables into the basement as I speak).

DC I hope you're right. I just don't think the death total will be less than 250.

Rumi please be safe. :)

My thoughts go out to those in Joplin as spotters confirm a tornado on the ground moving toward Joplin

Back