JND Studios 1/6 scale Heath Ledger Joker figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just had a piece of silicone sitting there on a table, it would for sure last. When you have silicone wrapped over a plastic or metal endoskeleton that can move freely underneath . . . that’s a different story.

Try Mezco for example. For their 1/12 Batman figure they decided to use a squishy, silicone body suit over a metal armature. Well it IS durable but if you leave the body in articulated poses or even with the arms down, it rips the suit apart. To keep in good condition, you have to keep it posed in it’s original mold injection stance,

View attachment 677087
silicone suit with armature skeleton removed

They (JND) are taking a plastic and metal skeleton and wrapping silicone components over it. If you pose it in anything but it’s originally injection mold, it’s going to stress in places. Likewise, if the head, neck, or finger joints break, there is no way to access it without ripping the silicone skin off.

You say this like it's for certain ... which it is for the items you mentioned.

JND use the highest graded medical silicone, and if I recall, they have experimented in its mixology. Kojun has been practicing this technology for many years so I'm sure the research in the silicone they use and its ability to upkeep its properties without degredation has been pushed over those years.

I'm without doubt that absolute idiots will be some of those to buy this and constantly be moving these pieces beyond what would be normal, no less with greasy hands that will damage, but I'm also certain that if handled with care they will uphold themselves.

The medical silicone for their 1/3 has been told to JND by the manufacturer of a guarantee of quality without defect for a 'lifetime' equated to 30+ years.

The difference though is those larger scales don’t move.

This is their first foray into dolls/action figures with moving components. There is good reason to be skeptical since we’ve never seen something like this perfected in this scale.

People shill the hell out of Hot Toys claiming quality and they use some of the cheapest materials possible. It’s just how it is. Most toy companies dabble in “gotcha” products while proclaiming to push limitations and boundaries with their premium products.

Last edited:

This is their first foray into dolls/action figures with moving components. There is good reason to be skeptical since we’ve never seen something like this perfected in this scale.

People shill the hell out of Hot Toys claiming quality and they use some of the cheapest materials possible. It’s just how it is. Most toy companies dabble in “gotcha” products while proclaiming to push limitations and boundaries.

It's fine to be sceptical.

And it is their first foray, but again, Kojun has been researching and developing this for many years, now with the added funding and time to do it with JND, plus other artists, I'm certain they will have explored all the flaws and problems that could arise.

If you go back to the early posts of JND they tell you the site they buy their silicone from in the UK. I think with the 1/3 JL WW they mixed a new silicone also.

Either way, a lot of the price comes from how expensive the silicone is, keeping in mind medical grade silicone is designed to be moved a lot also.

So that's to say, if these high grade materials can't keep then it will be impossible to do this tech justice. Guess we will see, but I have faith in it. This isn't cheap materials ratcheted up in price for the sake of it, they're high quality, so I don't think comparisons to what came before is entirely fair or just in decision making.

The term, "Medical grade silicone" covers a lot of territory. The devil is in the details.

I'm also somewhat skeptical that Kojun has a long term study he can refer to that identifies his specific "mix" of silicone and it's durability in this application, especially the fingers. As far as I know, he's an artist, - not an industrial engineer. Based on that, I'm still going to need JND to publish some information about what we can reasonably expect here. For a statue that doesn't move, I don't really have too much of a concern, but this is a different animal.

As absurd as it sounds, it may be that they end up recognizing that this technology requires the figure to come with some sort of warranty if people are going to pay the anticipated incremental cost for it. :huh

I think it's fair to say that we need more information.

This also eliminates or severely reduced customization by the owner. For almost every figure I buy, I touch up the paint and adjust fittings on the figure itself. Only slow drying oil based paint can be sued on silicone

In any case not really interested in these, some whispers on Chinese forums are saying there will be 3 version ranging between $700, $1200 and $1500 so definitely for the "elite" class of collectors, I'll stick to my peasant plastic toys. :lol
The 3 tier pricing structure lines up with what they show in that teaser video as well. They mention that the silicone articulated arm/hands is only under the "C Type". Meaning they'll probably have something along the line of:

Type A: $700
Type B: $1200
Type C: $1500

s8Qqp5E.png

I think JND forgot these are meant to be 'collectible' figures, not catering only to the super rich.

Where does it say collectible figures are meant to be cheap?
1701882507768.png

And what's cheap? Cheap is relative. Tons of people left this hobby when $65 dolls crossed into the $125 range. At the same time, new collectors said they never collected old (cheap) dolls because they didn't look real enough. Now most dolls are are nearing $300 as a baseline. I imagine a lot of the $100-crowd has since cut back or moved on.

This whole scenario can also play out in "high-end" 1/6th as we're starting to see very quickly in just this year alone. People struggled with the $1,000 InArt... I'm quite certain those same people will struggle with a $1,500 JND... and many will justify it in the end.

Yeah, factoring in price and the possibility of all the things DiFabio mentioned, I'd probably count myself out of everything from these guys except perhaps Terminator.
At the prices JND are considering (not to mention how much they might inflate by the time they get to Terminator), you're unironically better off buying one of the new Prime 1 Arnies :lol

People shill the hell out of Hot Toys claiming quality and they use some of the cheapest materials possible. It’s just how it is. Most toy companies dabble in “gotcha” products while proclaiming to push limitations and boundaries with their premium products.
Silicone Masks have been a while for a while now. When worn, they move and stretch, some are used daily especially during haunt season. They don't rip or tear until after extreme use over a long period of time. Not saying the figures won't tear over time and use, but most collectors take good care of their figures and don't treat them the way silicone masks are usually treated.

I do wonder what you get for the $700 base model?

Is Type C the "two-pack" that someone said Kit had hinted at?

When is JND supposed to come clean and actually reveal this thing and its "tiers"?

Questions, questions, so many questions...
For their statues there's usually 3 “teasers” and then the full reveal so we have small wait

From @cocomonk22 earlier in the thread “Full reveal video is on the 14th with pre-order on the 15th, but there are a couple videos before then.”

Last edited:
Woof, a week to wait.

I hope this time there is a single-version JND Joker that has ALL the new tech... and that they don't do the InArt 2-pack only for all that. But I can't imagine that if they do a high-priced 2-pack that it won't have some unique aspect not available in the other tiers, otherwise what's the point.

As impressive as it sounds, you're going to need to be pretty minted to be able to afford one. If they're limited run and the QC is bad, where does that leave you!? Are you going to want a replacement that will have your issue fixed but have a bunch of others!? I'd be super cautious where this is concerned.

Woof, a week to wait.

I hope this time there is a single-version JND Joker that has ALL the new tech... and that they don't do the InArt 2-pack only for all that. But I can't imagine that if they do a high-priced 2-pack that it won't have some unique aspect not available in the other tiers, otherwise what's the point.
We'll have to wait and see. From the first teaser, the ungloved articulated hands are only for the "Type C" release as the screencap above shows, which is rumored to be the most expensive version.

We'll have to wait and see. From the first teaser, the ungloved articulated hands are only for the "Type C" release as the screencap above shows, which is rumored to be the most expensive version.

:slap Oh yeah, already a piece of truly innovative tech saved for only the $1,500 version. I don't need another TWO Ledgers!

Maybe the 2-pack will be more easily split between two people?

:slap Oh yeah, already a piece of truly innovative tech saved for only the $1,500 version. I don't need another TWO Ledgers!

Maybe the 2-pack will be more easily split between two people?

With what this could cost, I think it's more reasonable that one figure will be shared by two people.

Back