JC Hong visits Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
JC Hong, who is now production manager for Hot Toys and the reason their paint apps have gotten so good, has posted a big shout-out to the Sideshow crew thanking them for their hospitality when he visited them. One of the photos he posted is of the plaque in memory of Diane Kamahele, which clearly touched him. To find the thread, click on this link and then on the "Category" menu item at left just above "My Works" (it's not in English).

https://blog.naver.com/tiger231?Redirect=Log&logNo=80021114384

He thanks many Sideshow people by name. Now wouldn't you love to have eavesdropped on that visit?

Hot Toys Rulz!!!! :rock

Hopefully JC gave Sideshow some tips on how to improve their paint applications.

this is cool. I'd love to know what was talked about. The buddy buddy feeling between the best 12in producers in the world is a great thing for collectors.

Damn!!

LUCAS_2_-tiger231.jpg

JC is a phenomenal artist and an all around fantastic fellow. Awesome post on his blog. :duff

Hot Toys Rulz!!!! :rock

Hopefully JC gave Sideshow some tips on how to improve their paint applications.

And about time too. The current production painters are inconsistent to say the least and it would be a shame if the two forthcoming sculpts of ANH Han Solo and Indiana Jones were dragged down by poor paint. Paying a customiser for a repaint is OK to a degree but if a figure has great paint out of the box like ANH Obi-Wan or any number of Hot Toys recent figures it makes the purchase much more satisfying.

You know, if you keep clicking the "links to the next page" that start at the bottom of the page about his Sideshow visit...on the very last page are photos and text of JC apparently leading a painting seminar. If anyone can read the text, it would be interesting to know whether this was at some toy convention event, or if that's how he trains painters for Hot Toys. Looks serious.

his paint skills are outstanding!! i love the progress Hot Toys has made over the past year. Jor-El is just gorgeous, and the paint apps on him are bar none.

And about time too. The current production painters are inconsistent to say the least and it would be a shame if the two forthcoming sculpts of ANH Han Solo and Indiana Jones were dragged down by poor paint. Paying a customiser for a repaint is OK to a degree but if a figure has great paint out of the box like ANH Obi-Wan or any number of Hot Toys recent figures it makes the purchase much more satisfying.

That's where I wonder what can this visit truly change anything with Sideshow.

For the most part, their prototype paint jobs end up immaculate and stunning.

The issues come up with the production facilities. Without knowing what duties JC performs with Hot Toys, there's no telling what his visit could mean or not mean to future pieces form Sideshow.

JC's a really cool guy! I'm glad I got the opportunity to meet him, Howard and the rest of the Hot Toys team :)

Back