Jawas 1/6 scale damaged blaster rifle - fixing suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WereDoomed

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently bought the sideshow Sixth scale Jawas which are great. When opening the package I attempted to slide the Blaster Rifle from the taller Jawa's holster (with great care due to its small size). It was very tight in there and the end of the blaster rifle literally came away from the rest of the rifle when drawing it out (at it's narrowest point). I was pretty devastated to say the least!

From googling it seems this is a common issue that its very tight, and from the breakage it also shows a lighter and darker area so possibly a weakness in manufacturing. I approached Sideshow support about whether I could get a replacement part, but sadly they didn't want to know as I hadn't purchased it directly from their website :(

So i guess I have to try and glue it... a very small part indeed. They suggested Zip-A-Gap, however i'm a little worried the longevity and how well superglue it will hold such a small area together (see pics attached) and for how long. Apparently its plastic though unsure what type.

Any suggestions please on what is best to use for fixing this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
James

Attachments

• IMG_5125.JPG
    IMG_5125.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 95
With a break like that, it's best to drill a hole in the center of each broken end with a pin vice, and glue a metal pin in the hole between the two. It's similar to a dowel joint in woodworking.
The most difficult part will be drilling the two holes in each piece so that they line up perfectly. What I do is drill one piece as centered as I can, and then use a bit of chalk on that drilled piece, line up the other piece and put them together to mark the hole I just drilled in the next piece I need to drill.

Here's an image I made to show you:
Jawa Blaster Fix 001.jpg

This will make it much stronger than before and you won't see the break if done right.

Last edited:
I always use Loctite ultra gel control super glue (in a black/blue bottle) for all my repairs. It works quite well - for super glue that is. I just put a bit on the bottom of a dixie cup, then take a toothpick/thick needle to apply it to the item. Only use a very small amount, as you don't want it to squeeze out the sides when pressing the two pieces back together. Now this will work fine if your not going to holster the gun. If you plan on taking it in and out, I'd go with screamingmetal's recommendation.

Thank you guys for your advice, much appreciated!

I would like to be able to holster the gun too, so hoping to make the fix as good as possible. I don't want it to come apart again at a later date without some reasonable force.

My worry is that the break area is tiny, so being able to drill a small hole in this to insert a pin might be very tricky! (and lining it up as you say). I'm a little worried about damaging it more, but do want a lasting fix. :pray:

Okay it sounds like superglue like Loctite or Zap-a-gap is best to go with. I'm hoping to add the pin if I feel brave!

Glue alone won't hold up for long. As suggested, drill a small hole into each piece. Lining each hole up perfectly is difficult, so use a metal rod, slightly smaller in diameter than the hole, and superglue together. As the rod is not a tight fit, there is some leeway in lining the parts up when gluing. The glue, once set, will fill the gaps.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to reply, and for the advice. Okay I think I will give the pinning a go :).

I'm just pondering the best glue, seems the popular ones are Locktite (gel?) or Zap-a-gap?

Loctite (gel) should do, as it will help fill gaps. The watery stuff will dribble away, onto your fingers most likely.

My worry is that the break area is tiny, so being able to drill a small hole in this to insert a pin might be very tricky! (and lining it up as you say). I'm a little worried about damaging it more, but do want a lasting fix. :pray:

Using a pin vice drill and drilling it by hand will give you the best control, they usually come with tiny drill bits too. Just don't use an electric drill, it'll be too small an area to control. Take your time and go slow, you'll get it done.

Back