Statue J Scott Campbell Classic Spiderman Comiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 92 year old grandma knows who Superman is and she's never touched a comic

Exactly! I think superman is the most know. I think batman and spiderman round out the top 3 superhero wise. Ironman was non-existent until 2007, let's be honest.

I think everyone knows who the big Green fella is.

If not they should! Haha. The only reason he isn't higher is because he doesn't have a "symbol".... Damn superhero politics.
hulk-in-glasses.jpg

As a sleeper, I think wonder woman is up there. I mean she big in the female community next to Disney princesses as recognizable. But I mean with Carter that pushed Wonder Woman like no other. Plus there are like hundreds of books that base on the philosophy and concept of Wonder Woman; that arent comics.

Before the movie, Iron Man was C list at best

Maybe to movie going audiences, don't think comic book fans ever thought of him as a C lister lol. In always considered him an A lister because of his role within the Avengers and the popularity he garnered throughout the 80s and 90s. If anything MORE ppl know him now than ever as a Result of the movies

Sent from the **** Pit of the Millenium Falcon

Maybe to movie going audiences, don't think comic book fans ever thought of him as a C lister lol. In always considered him an A lister because of his role within the Avengers and the popularity he garnered throughout the 80s and 90s. If anything MORE ppl know him now than ever as a Result of the movies

I agree. I never thought of him as anything less than an A lister for marvel.

the sales numbers before were IM in the doldrums of the top 100 list

I know. I'm not saying he was popular merch. wise, but as a comic reader he was important to me. The only comic movie that got me more into a character was thor.

the sales numbers before were IM in the doldrums of the top 100 list
I don't think sales of a title is what is used to consider A Listers to Be and Cs. Its about the role the characters play in their storylines and the fact that when you generally have a single title or multiple titles under your belt you're not really a B or C lister

I don't think sales of a title is what is used to consider A Listers to Be and Cs. Its about the role the characters play in their storylines and the fact that when you generally have a single title or multiple titles under your belt you're not really a B or C lister

Thats my method for actors. I think the amount of villians is also important. Thats why I think Batman and Spider-Man are A list. Superman is popular but I'd say he's B list to me.

Thats my method for actors. I think the amount of villians is also important. Thats why I think Batman and Spider-Man are A list. Superman is popular but I'd say he's B list to me.

Eh. Superman has less popular villains, but that would make x-men a b lister too since their villains are always the same people. Haha

And xmen is definitely a list

Lol Superman is definitely not a B lister. You're disqualified from this round :monkey

Lol Superman is definitely not a B lister. You're disqualified from this round :monkey

That's why I said it's tricky. like my example is Leonardo DiCaprio; while he hasn't won an Oscar, some of his roles were so great and popular he has become an A-list actor IMHO.

Superman has redundant villains, and I'm sorry to say that, but no doubt can I deny that he is absolutely popular. His shield is well known, and it's Superman; I mean who doesn't pitch in when someone says 'Look it's a bird!'? I think really he is just well known for Death of Superman, because no one expected that.

But then again it's my weird system for rating games, actors, and heroes lol

That's why I said it's tricky. like my example is Leonardo DiCaprio; while he hasn't won an Oscar, some of his roles were so great and popular he has become an A-list actor IMHO.

Superman has redundant villains, and I'm sorry to say that, but no doubt can I deny that he is absolutely popular. His shield is well known, and it's Superman; I mean who doesn't pitch in when someone says 'Look it's a bird!'? I think really he is just well known for Death of Superman, because no one expected that.

But then again it's my weird system for rating games, actors, and heroes lol

It is true the superman villains aren't as good as Batman and Spider-Man's. But he does have great villains... Lex is probably in my top 5, maybe even in top 3 comic villains of all time. I mean, I just like how they take the simplistic ideas for his villains. Lex is smarter, but can't win. Doomsday is stronger, but can't win. Zod is his past, coming back to life. Bizarro is bizarre hahaha. But really, it's very simple, that's why the simple/basic story arcs work so well.

It is true the superman villains aren't as good as Batman and Spider-Man's. But he does have great villains... Lex is probably in my top 5, maybe even in top 3 comic villains of all time. I mean, I just like how they take the simplistic ideas for his villains. Lex is smarter, but can't win. Doomsday is stronger, but can't win. Zod is his past, coming back to life. Bizarro is bizarre hahaha. But really, it's very simple, that's why the simple/basic story arcs work so well.

The simplicity works, yet the fact that Lex and Doomsday are superior in one aspect, makes it all WTF to me.

I mean Batman's villians are in some sense misunderstood. Hell if you told me a guy was freezing Gotham and robbing banks, I'd be like that weird...
Now add the idea that he is doing it to help fund and save his wife, who is cryogenically frozen, then you got something mind-blowing.

That's why I think MoS bombed for some "fans", I loved it, but I think people want complexity, an understanding.

I think some take that to consideration. Then again for me Spider-Man was my first true comic hero and so forth, I guess I seem like I have it out for Supes :lol:

The simplicity works, yet the fact that Lex and Doomsday are superior in one aspect, makes it all WTF to me.

I mean Batman's villians are in some sense misunderstood. Hell if you told me a guy was freezing Gotham and robbing banks, I'd be like that weird...
Now add the idea that he is doing it to help fund and save his wife, who is cryogenically frozen, then you got something mind-blowing.

That's why I think MoS bombed for some "fans", I loved it, but I think people want complexity, an understanding.

I think some take that to consideration. Then again for me Spider-Man was my first true comic hero and so forth, I guess I seem like I have it out for Supes :lol:

It was the opposite for me. I loved man of steel because of the complexity of Zod. I mean as a human being, I didn't want him to succeed in his endeavors, but at the same time... I understood what he was trying to do. If I was him, I would probably be doing the same thing. It was literally what he was made to do.

And comic wise, Lex Luthor is right. If there was a superman in real life today, I wouldn't trust him really. He's too powerful to be left unchecked.

Batman is different villain wise, but in the fact that every bat-villain was "born" do to him. Read an article about it the other day. Now that's crazy stuff!

Here's a perspective...

I remember as a kid my entire extended family thought my Deadpool action figure was Spider-Man... You think characters are popular when you and people with the same interests know them but the rest of the world can tell you different.

Comic Book popularity doesn't always equal Mass Popularity. Wolverine and Iron Man have been A listers in the comics for many years but they haven't been A listers in Mass Popularity for nearly as long. Cartoons certainly helped, but the movies are what did it. All the most popular characters have had long term live action and cartoon exposure... Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Hulk... and even Robin, who before these newer movies was more popular than any X-Man or Avenger.

The geekiest thing you could do if you cared that much... ask random non comic readers to name 10 comic characters with no help guessing names and see what the common responses are. See if most people can even get to 10 without naming something completely wrong.

Back