It's over! MR and Star Wars are no more!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darklord Dave said:
I was looking forward to the studio scale X-Wing and Tie Fighter. :monkey2

Perhaps SSC or GG can pick up the slack, but neither company is really experienced in the machined product MR has done well. I wonder if QMX is capitalized enough to foot the huge advance Lucasfilm would require?

We know that SW is the most expensive license there is, but Corgi would seem to be shooting itself in the foot here. Maybe this press release is just a negotiation tactic, maybe to show LFL that they're serious so the royalty will come down.

Yeah, I was looking forward to more ships myself. Makes me glad I took the opportunity to purchase the Falcon. I don't even care about the friggin signature, I thought the detail of the model itself is what really sold the peice. As far as the X-Wing and D-Tie are concerned, you'd got to think they could get them produced by January '08. The prototype of the X-Wing debuted last summer.

My biggest gripe with all of this is that once the fans get something good going, the big corporate interests want a peice of the action and the whole shebang gets nixed before it really gets a chance to take off. While everyone else is looking out for profit margins, the only people that really suffer is the consumer because thier is less to choose from and we're all back to square one.

For those people that really enjoy what SSC does, you better hope this doesn't happen to them! I was a little wary when Corgi bought into MR. Success is like blood in the water and sooner or later everyone has a price.

For everyone involved I hope they can work it out, but Howard Roffman has pretty much confirmed they are done and looking elsewhere. It probably wouldn't hurt if the fans for both parties let them know how they feel.

On a lighter note...

I remember how pissed I was back when I found out Hasbro off'ed the 12" line. Pretty silly looking back, but look how that turned out.

dekadentdave said:
Really? What did he say?

The guy is a prop guru. No wonder their product offerings have been weak the last couple of years.

I dont remember exactly since the thread was deleted before I could view it. I think Mike would know about it.

But from what I remember it had to do with references to a prominent book regarding the holocaust.

Re: It's % MR and Star Wars are no more!!!

I really detested their most recent release philosophy and I think they burned a large number of rather loyal customers; but one thing that you can't argue with --- their stuff is HIGH QUALITY!

Oh well, I can't imagine SS or GG taking up the lines, and the 1:1 Endo that was brought up; I think that is distributed by SS not manufactured (Hollywood Collector's).

Guess I better step up my pursuits of that ANH Obi-Wan saber. :monkey1

SS should at least get a crack at doing helmets only. They have what it takes for it, and have consciously avoided doing Vader, Boba, etc. to avoid stepping on MR's toes... now they have a wide open opportunity to seize the 1:1 helmet rights.. go for it!

Re: It's % MR and Star Wars are no more!!!

Amanaman said:
SS should at least get a crack at doing helmets only. They have what it takes for it, and have consciously avoided doing Vader, Boba, etc. to avoid stepping on MR's toes... now they have a wide open opportunity to seize the 1:1 helmet rights.. go for it!

Great points! That might mean some 1:1's that weren't possible before might now be! :monkey5 :chew :monkey5

I guess this means we won't be seeing more than the first wave of scaled helmets.

Damn, I wanted a clonetrooper. :(

pickard said:
I guess this means we won't be seeing more than the first wave of scaled helmets.

Damn, I wanted a clonetrooper. :(

Not necessarily true. The licence is through Jan. 1 2008 so I would imagine anything they have planned for 2007 they will try to milk for all they can get until then.

I never picked up anything from MR. If they are saying goodbye to Star Wars then it looks like I never will. Sorry to those who were MR collectors!

well to be honest....at the rate they were going from after all of the ROTS hype died down, it was only a matter of time. They had a good run and it's time to pass the torch to someone new.

dekadentdave said:
Not necessarily true. The licence is through Jan. 1 2008 so I would imagine anything they have planned for 2007 they will try to milk for all they can get until then.

Yeah, maybe, but it's already mid-May and we haven't seen any pics of anything other than the Riddell re-releases.

It's sad as I was just getting into the higher end stuff with 2 of there helmets in my collection and plans to get more if I could afford them :monkey2

Surprising news indeed.

I've never been into the MR stuff but was impressed with the scaled helmets they recently unveilled and was hoping for some more from them.

Does anyone have a list of the other stuff they've got planned for this year that will hopefully be made before they lose the license?

JABBATHERIDGE said:
Does anyone have a list of the other stuff they've got planned for this year that will hopefully be made before they lose the license?
Gree Helmet CS Exclusive
Blackhole Stormtrooper Helmet CS Exclusive Raffle
Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber (weathered)
Mara Jade Lightsaber
Boba Fett Helmet
Studio Scale X-Wing

There were more in the works but not sure they were slated for 2007.
I know they were working on
Studio Scale Slave1
Studio Scale Darth Vader Tie Fighter
Bowcaster
Luke X-Wing Helmet

Yeah I would imagine there is a lot of items they had planned for '07 will now be cancelled. I worry that the Boba Fett helmet will be one of them but they did show the prototype so there's still a chance they will go into production. We'll see.

I think it's also interesting that Hasbro recently bought out all of Lucasfilm's shares in their stock and basically forced them out. Lucasfilm had a 10% vested interest in Hasbro's stock to skim the profits from the company from the sale of Star Wars toys and now Hasbro has kicked them out. We are beginning to see a revolt against the Lucasfilm Empire and their greedy tyranny. I find it amusing and ironic.

Thats too bad. It seems MR offered a good selection of hi-quality Star Wars collectibles.

That being said, I really can't imagine SSC stepping in to MR's stuff... Like epecting Burger King to make a Big Mac. (Or McDonalds to make a... whatever the BK equivalent is...) :eek:

pixletwin said:
Thats too bad. It seems MR offered a good selection of hi-quality Star Wars collectibles.

That being said, I really can't imagine SSC stepping in to MR's stuff... Like epecting Burger King to make a Big Mac. (Or McDonalds to make a... whatever the BK equivalent is...) :eek:

Whopper

It's more like BK doesn't want to put out the Star Wars toys with the kids meal so McD will with the happy meal.

I am sure someone will pick up the license but I am also sure it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$ which is most likely the reason Corgi/MR decided it wasn't worth it to them anymore. While SW is MR's bread and butter IMO it odviously is not the case with Corgi. It really is shame though as I know a lot of people over at MR as I have been with them for so many years. Hopefully they will be able to turn out more props from other licenses and still remain a leader.

jimmyjamesf said:

OH yeah! :slap How could I forget that? :dunno

Anyhoo, for sure someone will pick up the licenses. It will be interesting to see the direction the market goes and who gets them.

pixletwin said:

You underestimate Sidieshow Collectibles propensity for making quality 1:1 props like the T2 Endo, arm, plasma rifle, Hellboy samaritan, etc. I think SSC will get it. Look for news at C4.

What IF the C4 announcement is nothing other than the prop license?

Sideshow's 1/6 SW license announcement happened right off the heels of Hasbro's "killing" of their 1/6 line. And people were pissed off for that meanwhile.

Back