It's all about the lighting...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinIchimaru

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of lighting people use. I just started collecting and noticed lighting plays a huge part in the overall appearance of a fig. It can literally make a bad fig look awesome or an awesome fig look bad lol. I've so far experimented with "hockey puck" type lights and they either seem too focused or very bright. I have yet to try the strip lights..anyone have some advice? I'm using a besta cabinet (below) if that helps. Thanks :)

besta-storage-combination-w-glass-doors-white__0413403_PE571480_S4.JPG

I have the Bestå as well, the black/brown variant. The lights I use are the IKEA Striberg. IMO, they are perfect. They are half moon shaped, so the light goes in to the cabinet and not in your face. :)

Below is my current set up. :)

wow that looks great, I'm thinking of swapping the old lights out of the detolf and going wireless. any suggestions? my set up, it needs more light though:

0cILawp.jpg

I literally came here looking for a thread pertaining to this. Good stuff, I'm interested to see what everyone has.

I like EOS Light Panels. I got them custom sized and am now experimenting with light diffusers. Overall, I do not prefer the strip LED lights. EOS even has a panel that can light both up and down:

https://lightwithart.com/

What's the price on these roughly? I don't want to contact them and immediately say it's out of my price range.

I literally came here looking for a thread pertaining to this. Good stuff, I'm interested to see what everyone has.

What's the price on these roughly? I don't want to contact them and immediately say it's out of my price range.

They are not cheap, but I think it all depends on the size. I got a ton of lighting for 3 large cabinets and it was $1700

They are not cheap, but I think it all depends on the size. I got a ton of lighting for 3 large cabinets and it was $1700
Whew, ouch. Out of my league for now. They certainly look wonderful though.

For those using the dioder strips, are they similar to those Sahmez strips that magically disappeared a few months back? I guess what I'm asking is can I strong multiple dioder sets to one power source?

Lot of great ideas. Thanks guys. Really like that set up Robban, its what I'm going for. I bought some lights from Home Depot and they were way too bright. Lit up half my room it was horrible lol. Going to pick those IKEA lights this week :)

box.jpg

This looked quiet similar to acrylic box I ordered but mine would be smaller, have black back panel and doesn't have straight LED strip on the upper lit - only the round one. It will come in about a month, (they are very busy with orders right now.) I don't have space for Detolf as they are too short; I want maximum vertical space so I use Fjalkinge to display figures along with books.

fjalkinge-shelving-unit-white__0194033_PE359398_S4.JPG

I have the Bestå as well, the black/brown variant. The lights I use are the IKEA Striberg. IMO, they are perfect. They are half moon shaped, so the light goes in to the cabinet and not in your face. :)

Below is my current set up. :)

That is awesome, I use the Besta shelves as well but what are those doors you have?

Thanks vernflan! :)

I'm afraid those doors are no longer available. Don't know why IKEA decided to stop selling them. They are perfect!. :(

Because they have newer models of cause, Glassvik and Sindvik, so they scrapped the old production line to cut the cost.

The new doors are rubbish. The frames on them block to much of the shelf.

Unfortunately, figure collecting are such a small special interest group, so Ikea design their products to appeal to greater mass.

Whew, ouch. Out of my league for now. They certainly look wonderful though.

For those using the dioder strips, are they similar to those Sahmez strips that magically disappeared a few months back? I guess what I'm asking is can I strong multiple dioder sets to one power source?

Just to let you know that we've never gone out of business. Had an issue with Paypal issues but got resolved the day after ;) You can always hit us a PM

I've heard IKEA has stopped carrying the Dioder lights, anyone know more about this?

Yeah I also heard that, and when checking the websites they have none in stock anymore.

So is there a way to attach the Striberg in a Detolf? I already downloaded the manual, but could you use doublesided tape to stick them to the glass? I don't know if the Striberg gets very hot?

Back