It's a GUNDAM!!! - all things gundam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey fellas, first post in here. I've gotten back into building kits and needed some help.

I know all about panel lining, but my question is... what can I do to keep it from being wiped off? Do Gundam markers (for panel lining) ever dry enough to not be wiped off so easily? I thought about spraying a flat coat on it but read it could **** with the plastic.

Hey fellas, first post in here. I've gotten back into building kits and needed some help.

I know all about panel lining, but my question is... what can I do to keep it from being wiped off? Do Gundam markers (for panel lining) ever dry enough to not be wiped off so easily? I thought about spraying a flat coat on it but read it could **** with the plastic.

Yo snake, I haven’t built any models myself in a couple of years but from past experiences Gundam markers always have a chance of getting wiped off and the best way to keep them there is to put a top coat on.

For what I had around me. I used Krylon’s acrylic gloss and flat sprays. Acrylics are the least harsh type of paint chemically so it should be alright to use as a top coat over gunpla and other types of paints :duff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick 'n' lazy:

Long 'n' hard:

https://majorwilliams.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/gundam-building-101-panel-line-washes.html

Yo snake, I haven’t built any models myself in a couple of years but from past experiences Gundam markers always have a chance of getting wiped off and the best way to keep them there is to put a top coat on.

For what I had around me. I used Krylon’s acrylic gloss and flat sprays. Acrylics are the least harsh type of paint chemically so it should be alright to use as a top coat over gunpla and other types of paints :duff

Thanks! I'll look into it.

While I would like mine fully painted, I don't have the patience nor talent for that. I can panel line well enough and even add my own that aren't there to add more extenuated panels. I just want to have it so I don't have to fear touching it with reposing or whatever.

I tried doing a dry transfer and completely ****ed it up. I may just use the red stickers.

Anyone picking up either of these?

81exXHYO1kL._SL1500_.jpg
maxresdefault (4).jpg

I can't justify spending $400 on the metal composite version but I may pick up the hi resolution version but reviews have shown that parts fall of it very easily and it's not even in scale with the other MG from Gundam Wing.

The proportions look a little off too. It looks way to slender.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

While I would like mine fully painted, I don't have the patience nor talent for that. I can panel line well enough and even add my own that aren't there to add more extenuated panels. I just want to have it so I don't have to fear touching it with reposing or whatever.

I tried doing a dry transfer and completely ****ed it up. I may just use the red stickers.

When you're done, be sure to add a good-quality flat finish to any parts that aren't clear, metallic, etc. Mr Hobby Topcoat Flat and Tamiya Flat Clear rattlecans are two of the best I've tried.

Anyone picking up either of these?

View attachment 375256
View attachment 375257

I can't justify spending $400 on the metal composite version but I may pick up the hi resolution version but reviews have shown that parts fall of it very easily and it's not even in scale with the other MG from Gundam Wing.

Some of the reviews on those High Resolution kits haven't exactly been glowing. The inner frame is pre-assembled in China, has diecast parts, etc while the outer shell is made in the usual place in Japan - the issue is that sometimes the Chinese bit and the Japanese bit don't exactly meet seamlessly in the middle.

I've been thinking of picking up some Real Grades, I haven't done any model making in years at this point...

When you're done, be sure to add a good-quality flat finish to any parts that aren't clear, metallic, etc. Mr Hobby Topcoat Flat and Tamiya Flat Clear rattlecans are two of the best I've tried.

Some of the reviews on those High Resolution kits haven't exactly been glowing. The inner frame is pre-assembled in China, has diecast parts, etc while the outer shell is made in the usual place in Japan - the issue is that sometimes the Chinese bit and the Japanese bit don't exactly meet seamlessly in the middle.

I've been thinking of picking up some Real Grades, I haven't done any model making in years at this point...

I picked up the HIRM about a week ago and slowly have been putting it together. They really messed up with the gold pieces as they chip easily. They're not molded in the color, only sprayed down in gold.

I hadn't have anything fall off really yet, but the chin piece was an utter pain in the ass to stay on as you assemble the face.

First post here.

Reading through these posts reminded me that I should get around to building my deathscythe.

I've wondered why there isn't a Gundam/Gunpla thread anywhere here. I recently dove deep into Gundam since I suddenly have lots of time sitting around at home thanks to having a newborn and have really re-invigorated my love of the series. My experience with the franchise is pretty limited to the original series and a few UC storylines right after that (mostly learned from video-games) so a lot of series (Like the recent Iron Blooded Orphans that I just started) are totally new and pleasantly awesome. Also really enjoyed my re-watch of the OG series and Zeta.

I may have spent waaay too much money (and what limited non-baby baby time I have) on Gunpla kits. I'm currently in the process of building a Real Grade RX-78-2 (last kit was a the RG Wing Zero).

Back