Is there any point to this?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

URMonkeyTron

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Hot-Toys-Batman-12-Heath-Ledger-JOKER-AFA-U90-90-/130400326678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5c771416

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand the reason someone would do this. I mean to me there is nothing like getting a figure & taking it out, finding new poses, & changing it up later. Not to just get it, & without even opening the mailer send it to someone else to lock away. Missing out on experiencing the first time you pull it from the box, examine the sculpt & clothing up close to see all the fine details.

Maybe someone can explain to me why? Am I being a toy romantic, or is this how things are now?

Also there is nothing better than new figure smell.

It would bother me so much if I was to display that and his ankle is all crooked. It's like the DC Direct 13" Joker...

There's something very obsessive-compulsive about graded toys and comics. Like you need to one-up the next guy. Definitely not my thing.

It's virtually pointless. You can take that box and shake the hell out of it until you damage the figure, sink it in the pool, etc., and he'd still have that rating. It's just a scam for con artists to rake in cash from ignorant collectors.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say this is pretty pointless.

I agree. These people should realize that no amount of AFA grading will prevent plastics and rubber from deterioration, so it's best to enjoy these things while still in top shape.

yea that's pretty much it. When someone says it's AFA graded, they're usually just trying to make extra doe trying to make it seem like the figure (in this case V1 Joker), is so much better than any other figure. They do this a lot with transformers

Last edited:
Maybe just a way of getting bang-for-buck for loose figures? There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there, and I guess this sort of practice lets punters know the loose figure is in good condition. The seller has 100% rating, so you have to give props for that alone.

Maybe just a way of getting bang-for-buck for loose figures? There are a lot of rip-off merchants out there, and I guess this sort of practice lets punters know the loose figure is in good condition. The seller has 100% rating, so you have to give props for that alone.

That's my point. How do you know the figure inside is MINTy fresh? And who's to say he didn't have a hook-up at AFA to box a broken figure and put a good rating sticker on it? The only way to find out would be to open it. And after paying the ticket for that, opening it isn't all that likely since the value plummets immediately unless you get it rated again. Hence the scam.

That's my point. How do you know the figure inside is MINTy fresh? And who's to say he didn't have a hook-up at AFA to box a broken figure and put a good rating sticker on it? The only way to find out would be to open it. And after paying the ticket for that, opening it isn't all that likely since the value plummets immediately unless you get it rated again. Hence the scam.

From what I know, the folks at AFA do that inspection. I'm not sure how they do it with figures, but I'm sure that's what they do for trading cards, like basketball cards, etc.

They check the condition of the cards and they provide ratings based on their assessment. I'd also be very surprised if they'd tarnish their reputation for one measly customer, so I don't think the seller would be given a pass at getting a good grade for a broken toy.

As it stand, though, I still don't find the merit of AFA-grading toys or action figures. Might as well do that to a statue.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the '90s (or was it the late '80s?) when buying comic books sealed inside a plastic bag was all the rage.

I mean, come on: you're buying a plastic bag!!

I didn't follow properly at first then - so the rating is void if the box is opened? Fine for some to swallow this I guess, but I'm in the I-handle-my-dollies crowd, so I could care less.

This reminds me of the '90s (or was it the late '80s?) when buying comic books sealed inside a plastic bag was all the rage.

I mean, come on: you're buying a plastic bag!!

That's the 90s :) I remember that time when I was still collecting comics :) I used to buy hard plastic cases with cardboard, but I still read the comics, I can't bring myself to buy those sealed ones :)

I think it's kind of stupid, they don't even have the box.

It's assumed if it's in the box and hasn't been opened it should be in perfect condition. I wouldn't spend as much on something like that without the box even if it was graded to be mint

Back