Is the prometheus body crap???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning the tightness or smoothness of the joints I don't see why Sideshow can only make incremental improvements with each release. Hot Toys got it right on the first release and have been consistent ever since.

Concerning the tightness or smoothness of the joints I don't see why Sideshow can only make incremental improvements with each release. Hot Toys got it right on the first release and have been consistent ever since.

I'm certain that all depends on how many were produced in the initial batches. I wouldn't expect them to dump all the bodies because some are loose and some are not. And remember, 2 of the 3 new bodies (the Hobbit & armor bodies) were co-designed by HotToys so some of the looseness blaming should be shared with them. Additionally, HotToys didn't get it right the first time. Some of their first attempts weren't too successful either.

Is the Pro a work-in-progress? Yes. Should it be? No. The prices for these figures have jumped considerably. And, yes I know HT's prices are $30-$50 more, but they seem to have gotten over that manufacturing hurdle of loose joints. They also have much better sculptors and use a factory that can closely match the original sculpt. With all that said, I actually like the Pro slightly more than the TT. I believe it hangs better and poses more natually. All looseness aside if they can broaden the shoulders a bit SS has a winner. My biggest problem with the TT are that the shoulders are too broad. However, once HT puts on their new line bodies along with Triad's SS may still be third, fourth, or fifth in-line.

lol....I am thinking of not collecting 1/6 scale altogether as the prices are not really justified anymore....I'd love to collect those new predator figures, at least I know Hot Toys are not gonna send out floppy bodies.....

A lot of it comes down to what you like. SSC GI Joe is my top collecting priority. If SE comes out loose and I have to purchase a TT, I'm not going to send SSC a message by cancelling my other Joe preorders. No way, they look fantastic and a slightly loose Snake Eyes or CC is still MUCH more desirable to me than Billy from Predator on a perfect body. Its really no contest.

However, I *will* "send a message" to SSC buy cancelling preorders *from other lines* if I have to keep spend extra to "fix" the Joes. In other words if SE has problems I won't cancel CC, but Vader and the Stormies will probably get the axe.

A lot of it comes down to what you like. SSC GI Joe is my top collecting priority. If SE comes out loose and I have to purchase a TT, I'm not going to send SSC a message by cancelling my other Joe preorders. No way, they look fantastic and a slightly loose Snake Eyes or CC is still MUCH more desirable to me than Billy from Predator on a perfect body. Its really no contest.

However, I *will* "send a message" to SSC buy cancelling preorders *from other lines* if I have to keep spend extra to "fix" the Joes. In other words if SE has problems I won't cancel CC, but Vader and the Stormies will probably get the axe.

I hear you about making joes priority...with the 25th anniversary and keeping up with that, that is what makes it harder to get these because of cost...3 12" joes equals to about 6-7 waves of joes...but for me to be on board 100% with the Sideshow stuff is the Quality...really the 1st figure (Snake Eyes) must make a 1st impression for me to keep buying these and the only thing holding me back is that reported loose joints on the Pro body

So Premium Format is for GAYMOS? Glad I collect dolls!!

ha ha. that was great evil face. ha ha. i was thinking the same crap when i seen that.

well when it comes to this body issue, i have yet to get a fig from ss and have the joints be tight. all of my figures i have bought from them have had some disappointing results. my t800 arnie fig acts as if it has springs in his shoulders. i have three ht figs and they have shown much better results than the bucks. but the best body that i have found that does not have this problem was the model f body from did. i have about 22 of their dudes and still have not had one with any loose joints. except for the one my dog chewed on. i think sideshow needs to look at the competition and contrast and compare and build off of that. cuz if their building off the buck, then we can expect just a better version of that. and that would suck donkey wee wee. then i wont be buying any more of their figs. and we all know how crappy the buck is. i also have one bbi body that aint half bad. but he is huge compared to some of the other guys i got. same with my 21st century toys "super body". just a bit bigger but even their joints were tighter than ss. thats sad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but this was Sideshows response to this issue in the New Year's Q&A:

"I recently received my Indiana Jones 12-inch Figure, and while I love it, his right arm is very floppy - it’s hard to get him to hold any poses with the right arm. Is it something you’ll improve on other figures?"

Yes, most definitely. Indy is the first use of our new Prometheus body, and we’re still fine-tuning the tooling & production materials to improve the body quality and joint tightness. With each release on the Clone body and Prometheus body, you should see improvement.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5993

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but this was Sideshows response to this issue in the New Year's Q&A:

"I recently received my Indiana Jones 12-inch Figure, and while I love it, his right arm is very floppy - it’s hard to get him to hold any poses with the right arm. Is it something you’ll improve on other figures?"

Yes, most definitely. Indy is the first use of our new Prometheus body, and we’re still fine-tuning the tooling & production materials to improve the body quality and joint tightness. With each release on the Clone body and Prometheus body, you should see improvement.

so each release gets an improvement??? I dont want to pay hundreds of dollars for "Improved" joints....I want to know I am getting tight joints each time.....if you gonna charge lots of money for these they need to be done right the 1st time....Lame answer Sideshow

For all those Hot Toys cheerleaders and Sideshow nay sayers, I have some Hot Toys figures that have looseness problems just as bad as Sideshow's figures. Many a Predator has loose joints. Just yesterday I went to move my HT Predator 2 figure, and his arm flopped down to his side, it's about as loose as my SSC Indy. I also had to send two HT figures back because of right out of the box broken bodies. Then there's the first cast flexible skin Muscle body figure fiasco; the HK SDU figures and US Army Green Beret, the skin started to melt off after a few years on those guys even with proper care. As well as the current ED-209 fiasco. Not To mention the piss-poor first generation Hot toys bodies.
Every company has issues with new bodies and techniques, this is nothing new. So cut Sideshow a break.
If they don't show improvement a few figures into the Prometheus generation, then start complaining.

The only issue I've had with the Prometheus is the size. If a line is all Prometheus, then there's no issue, but I'm not really looking forward to half of my Star Wars figures being Buck sized, and the rest looking like they could be Medicom.

I don't know. Maybe I just stood Indy next to the wrong figure. :dunno

For all those Hot Toys cheerleaders and Sideshow nay sayers, I have some Hot Toys figures that have looseness problems just as bad as Sideshow's figures. Many a Predator has loose joints. Just yesterday I went to move my HT Predator 2 figure, and his arm flopped down to his side, it's about as loose as my SSC Indy. I also had to send two HT figures back because of right out of the box broken bodies. Then there's the first cast flexible skin Muscle body figure fiasco; the HK SDU figures and US Army Green Beret, the skin started to melt off after a few years on those guys even with proper care. As well as the current ED-209 fiasco. Not To mention the piss-poor first generation Hot toys bodies.
Every company has issues with new bodies and techniques, this is nothing new. So cut Sideshow a break.
If they don't show improvement a few figures into the Prometheus generation, then start complaining.

sorry but we pay out the ass for these figures. and we have the right to complain about them. and yes, all companies do have their own flaws, but it would make sense to adress the issue as quickly as possible and not keep making figures with the same crappy bodies with the same problems. and the hot toys first gen bodies do indeed blow goat dong. im still getting rid of my "spring loaded arnie t800". im just hoping the prometheus is worth the money.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I just think Sideshow needs to do it right the 1st time and not make their customers pay for poor loose articulation and say....Oh we'll get it right (improvement) after a few releases. Why defend loose articulation??
if I was buying it for a child, then who cares, but even then the child would be screaming of bad (loose) quality....I like this Joe line, I just want it to be good quality and worth buying for the money they ask for these

sorry but we pay out the ass for these figures. and we have the right to complain about them. and yes, all companies do have their own flaws, but it would make sense to adress the issue as quickly as possible and not keep making figures with the same crappy bodies with the same problems. and the hot toys first gen bodies do indeed blow goat dong. im still getting rid of my "spring loaded arnie t800". im just hoping the prometheus is worth the money.

To my knowledge, there's only been one figure on the body to date. Additionally, we already have a statement from Sideshow stating that further releases will be corrected as needed. And $100 is hardly paying out the ass. Now the $150 of a Medicom (which is arguably worse and not even 1:6) or $170+ of a HotToys, and we're getting closer.

:lecture:lecture:lecture I just think Sideshow needs to do it right the 1st time and not make their customers pay for poor loose articulation and say....Oh we'll get it right (improvement) after a few releases. Why defend loose articulation??
if I was buying it for a child, then who cares, but even then the child would be screaming of bad (loose) quality....I like this Joe line, I just want it to be good quality and worth buying for the money they ask for these

I'm sure, your entire life, you've done everything 100% perfect the first time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm at least happy to see that Sideshow acknowleged the problem. I would have preferred if the first figure using each body wasn't loose... but if future releases (like SE) are better I'll be happy.

But the proof will have to be in the pudding on this one.

I love the new body, it is MILES ahead of the Buck. Yeah, so it was a little loose... Big deal. I know that they will get it taken care of. I know I have gotten HT bodies that were loose as Hell, so it's not ONLY an issue on Pro bodies.

It's just like releasing anything new, there are inevitable bugs to deal with at first..

Exactly, people are blowing this WAY out of proportion. It's miles better than the damn Buck.

So you don't own a Prometheus? I don't see how you can complain about something you haven't even seen in person.
Yes these figures are expensive, so are the Hot toys Predators and most people who own them don't complain nearly as much about the tendency of loose joints as they do about the Prometheus, and believe me, they often do have loose joint issues.
This is just very common place in 1:6 scale collectibles.
Sideshow did address the issue in that "Ask Sideshow statement. They said they're going to improve.

To my knowledge, there's only been one figure on the body to date. Additionally, we already have a statement from Sideshow stating that further releases will be corrected as needed. And $100 is hardly paying out the ass. Now the $150 of a Medicom (which is arguably worse and not even 1:6) or $170+ of a HotToys, and we're getting closer.

I'm sure, your entire life, you've done everything 100% perfect the first time. :rolleyes:

So that means collectors should be out a couple hundred dollars until Sideshow gets it right?? I am not investing Money in this line if its not gonna measure up to what these figures are suppose to do or be. I swear some of you will accept whatever toy companies give you and kneel before these companies and swallow their swords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back