Is the newest 1/6 SS Darth Maul worth getting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svnmelter

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello.

I got my hands on the Death Trooper Deluxe today and needless to say, I'm not into it. I think I'm going to return it and go for a *character* instead of a Trooper.

That said, I'm really interested in the new Sideshow Darth Maul, but I have some *valid* concerns.

First, $240+shipping for the figure, generic stand, 4 sets of hands, and saber?! Figure looks great, but that price tag is terrible.

Second, I've heard some mixed reviews. Is it true that the joints are commonly loose on Sideshow figures, including this one? Is it true that the blades don't fit into the hilt properly?

I'm also tempted to go for the upcoming Sideshow Bossk and IG88 because of the tempting price points.

Some opinions about this figure would be great...

I think it's worth it if you can get it with a decent discount, I personally didn't have any problems with the blades and the body seemed to hold pose with no issues.

I have two. One exclusive and one regular. I scored the regular for $50 off from SS via discount. Amazing figure. I'm sure HT will be years before they release Maul.

Hello.

I got my hands on the Death Trooper Deluxe today and needless to say, I'm not into it. I think I'm going to return it and go for a *character* instead of a Trooper.

That said, I'm really interested in the new Sideshow Darth Maul, but I have some *valid* concerns.

First, $240+shipping for the figure, generic stand, 4 sets of hands, and saber?! Figure looks great, but that price tag is terrible.

Second, I've heard some mixed reviews. Is it true that the joints are commonly loose on Sideshow figures, including this one? Is it true that the blades don't fit into the hilt properly?

I'm also tempted to go for the upcoming Sideshow Bossk and IG88 because of the tempting price points.

Some opinions about this figure would be great...

You are going to return it too if you decide you are not into it once you receive it?

I get the feeling you've already made up your mind but I'll advise against buying this version of darth maul.

I have two. One exclusive and one regular. I scored the regular for $50 off from SS via discount. Amazing figure. I'm sure HT will be years before they release Maul.

I have a Death Trooper deluxe that I'd trade you if interested. Otherwise I'm gonna send it back I guess.

Just follow a search in ebay. I got one for about $185 shipped some time back. Once he's back in stock at SS the prices on eBay should dip again.

You mention Sideshow's Bossk, I own the first version and I can tell you it's a great figure, one of Sideshow's best. Try and get the rerelease with a discount if it interests you, I'm sure the new one will be as good if not better than the first version.
Sideshow's new Darth Maul is also quite good, but I'm a bit disappointment by the expression they chose and the single head they provided. I think if and when Hot Toys gets around to their Darth Maul, it'll have a better expression.

Last edited:
It's barebone figure for a HT price. Even paint isn't good enough to justify the price. And of course the sculpt looks kind of good, but it isn't Ray Park. Wait for HT to make one.

But, SS can do decent aliens and drones. So yes, IG and Bossk should be fine. I have both on PO. First version were very good, i loved the Bossk.

I own it. Love it. Retail price stinks, but if you're patient, you can always find a deal on ebay. I see that one just sold on ebay for only $200 with free shipping.

There's one on ebay RIGHT NOW for $220 with free shipping. I'd say it's worth that much.

It's barebone figure for a HT price. Even paint isn't good enough to justify the price. And of course the sculpt looks kind of good, but it isn't Ray Park. Wait for HT to make one.

But, SS can do decent aliens and drones. So yes, IG and Bossk should be fine. I have both on PO. First version were very good, i loved the Bossk.

You should follow this sage advice...don't pay Hot Toys prices for Sideshow figures...

My local shop had this with a damaged box and I got it for 145. It's not bad but SS is nuts with their pricings these days. I would wait for HT because they'll do him some day... I think anyway.

I can see HT releasing a Darth Maul in the not too distant future. With the new battlefront 2 game coming out in October which features him along with many other main characters of the PT, OT and future films.
As they have already released "Battlefront" versions of the Stormtrooper and Snowtrooper with Hoth Leia coming out shortly and Jedi Luke and the Emperor in the pipeline as well, I think HT will eventually make all of the characters that feature in the game.

Having said that, I have the SSC Darth Maul and it's a very good figure. But if you are prepared to wait then I'm sure HT will raise the bar on the character if they do indeed produce it.

Nothing from SS is worth it.

Wait for HT!
ghost hug.png

Back