Is it just me, or has the Peak of collecting ended?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Data would be my absolute #1 choice. Comes with removable panels, emotion chip, plug for head, removable head, Spot, tricorder, phaser, rifle, etc. And with realistic android skin texture.

1/6 scale shuttlecraft anyone? Hey if the batmobile can be made, why not?

TNG figures would probably be the first toy I would ever care about getting signed by the actors, I think...

Data would be a pretty awesome figure, you're right. :)

I think one of the reasons the classics are slowing down is that companies know people will buy the classics whither it's 2013 or 2017. they are the classics for a reason.

Now look at all of these modern licenses. Do you think companies could sell Iron Men 3-5 years down the road after all the hype has dies and is no longer current?

A PSO T-800 will always guarantee a sale no matter the year. How many people will be lining up for Tony Stark 3.5 in a couple of years?

Companies have to strike the iron while it is hot or people will lose interest. People will never lose their interest for the classics.

Somebody made a comment about that companies might make a move towards 90's stuff and I would LOVE to see that personally.

I'm not so sure that Downey Jnr's Iron Man is a mere fad. He's been in 4 films now. Michael Keaton's Batman was only in 2 films and he's considered a classic. So I'd have to say I can see people buying them in a couple of years (not least because in that timeframe Iron Man will still be current, Avengers 2 will be out).

Thus what I'm arguing is why does everything Iron Man have to come out right now? Why can't it be spread out in time like other licenses.

Micheal Kenton was made in the 80's and early 90's. It's aged two decades now so I personally believe it is a classic now (I have always treated it as such)

Why do all 30 Iron Men stuff have to come now? Because people had ADD :p In a few years they won't be so pumped up about it and they'll realize that paying $300 for a single version of the armour is ridiculous and move on to whatever the current flavour is at that time.

Collecting peak is over yes. $$$ have forced selections in purchase thereby making it a novelty purchase,presently, not a purchase for the sake of collecting them all.

People keep listing upcoming licenses. I could imagine buying a figure or two here and there, but none of these are at the level of what we've just had. The best figures have been done or are about to be done in 1/6 museum quality.

An Arnold Conan would be the most exciting figure that I don't have yet. I'm down for as much Prometheus and Aliens as they want to make, but I don't imagine that will be a giant set like Avengers or Batman.

One figure on pre order, only two or three of interest coming up for order sometime (hopefully) in the near future, I can say my interest is waning.

Not cause I'm loosing interest in collecting, but because there is so little to collect that interests me. A couple of Joe figures and the new Vader and that's about it, and who knows when any of those will go up for pre order and ship. I'll probably only have one additional figure in hand this year and thats Major Bludd, so I'm pretty "meh" right now :dunno

The peak of collecting never ends. You have some collectors that are starting out on this hobby realizing there is more to collecting than running into a Toys R Us trying to find the newest figure....and you will always have a long time vet that has been collecting for awhile and is slowly getting out of the hobby due to a combination (give or take) of space issues, rapidly increasing prices in the hobby, and declining interest.

I've been collecting for a long, long time. I've been lurking on the forum since almost the beginning. I see collectors come and go in this hobby and I've seen topics like this come up every so often. Truthfully, nothing changes. It's just a cycle that is part of the hobby.

Micheal Kenton was made in the 80's and early 90's. It's aged two decades now so I personally believe it is a classic now (I have always treated it as such)

Why do all 30 Iron Men stuff have to come now? Because people had ADD :p In a few years they won't be so pumped up about it and they'll realize that paying $300 for a single version of the armour is ridiculous and move on to whatever the current flavour is at that time.

:exactly:

If a license can season a bit and still be wanted you know you're in for a figure you'll love and keep.

:lol Is anyone actually reading this thread, or just taking an opportunity to comment once again on how expensive the hobby is becoming?

The whole thread is off-topic, posts need to be deleted.

:panic::panic::panic:

Addressing the OP, the only vintage 80s iconic characters that are left are either unlicense-able or not worth the money. I mean, a Matt Trakker for $200 with ultra-realistic headsculpt?? Nobody's going to buy that.

These characters, your Predator, your Terminator, your Alien, have been licensed to death for the past 20 years, these companies have trained consumers to buy them, that's why they keep selling. People have been conditioned to purchase certain things. That's why you see the same things over and over again

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm crossing old ground, but, for me, I think the peak has ended. And I'm not talking about the product or the people who buy it, but me on a personal level.

I only got into this hobby seriously 12/18 months ago, and there were 10 years worth of figures for me to look at buying. Now, I've pretty much bought all the existing product that A) I want, B) I have room for and C) budget allows for. So in terms of collecting, I'm now at that stage where I'm waiting for new releases and most of the fun has gone.

It used to be that I could look at threads on here, or watch videos on Youtube and think "wow, that figure's awesome, I want it!" then whip onto E-bay, see a couple going for relatively cheap and see if I could pick one up. Now everything will be full retail because it's brand new and that excitement about finding one for less than the original price won't exist.

I remember I was late to the Walking Dead comic. It was awesome because I could read 2/3/4 trade paperbacks a week and knew there was still loads to catch up on. Once I hit volume 17 and realised I now had to wait like everyone else for the next issues it suddenly became a lot less exciting.

Honestly for me, besides the rising costs, I have either by manufacturer or custom every character I set out with a wish list of having 10 years ago. My purchases have slowed down and I've been going through much of my stuff that isn't displayed and selling it off.

Back