Is Hot Toys becoming more mainstream?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think once HT dropped making unlicensed figures or getting around 1/6 liceneses by releasing "model kits" they were mainstream. But, that's not a bad thing since look at what they've done and the incredible licenses they've been able to acquire.

The commercial is a bit odd since the logo is not really focused on, it's not the kind of packaging you'd expect from them and it's not even the version they've offered (this one's naked, not in the suit). I do wonder if maybe they will have a "mass market" version; or if this was just a quick mock up for the commercial.

Lots of good discussion here.

Like I said, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. It's just that I personally feel like the more mainstream it gets, the less special it gets.

They just opened their flagship Mainland store INSIDE Shanghai Disneyland. That should tell you quite a bit about their relationship with the Mouse House and their full-on embrace of mainstream. The shear price point will maintain some exclusivity but lets face it, Star Wars and Marvel are absolutely mainstream now. People who ten years ago would have ridiculed grown men buying Star Wars merchandise now are wearing SW and Marvel clothing, dresses, back packs, accessories.

The benefit for collectors are bigger/deeper lines being produced (like background characters, multiple/outfits versions of characters, potential vehicle releases, etc) but also with larger runs being made R&D and development costs are stretched across a much larger release base which hopefully will improve quality and lock in the price point where it is.

Also I feel that with a much larger eye on them, including that of LFL in a different way and stars of the movies themselves, they will strive to put out the best product possible (albeit this did not work that way on the new Chewie so there goes that theory).

That's a great point. Being "nerdy" has become trendy and "cool" now. That's another thing that bothers me. I have always been into comic books, superheroes, and other "nerdy" things, but now suddenly so is everyone else. Bandwagon jumpers. While I appreciate feeling less insecure now when, as a grown man, I leave the house wearing an Iron Man t-shirt, I hate seeing people that know nothing about comic books (and have no interest in reading them) wearing one too....just because it's the cool thing now.

But ultimately, these bandwagon jumpers are good for business, which also means it's good for those of us who are true fans.

I think it kills the rarity of a product , but that's success. I don't know if I would collect as many at these prices if I knew they were highly mass produced and could be found in clearance areas down the line. I would just shop the secondary market, like I do not for most of the TFA lines.....mainly because most were over produced....

Actually picked up Phasma for 150 brand new. Likely due to over production.....feel sorry for those who paid 249.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything that helps me get the collectibles I want at a cheaper price is fine by me. I'm not collecting these as any sort of investment, so the rarity doesn't come into play for me.

And I think you need to discuss what exactly "mainstream" means. If we're talking normal every day non-collectors; no. No non-collector will ever know the name Hot Toys (as an aside I think because Hot Toys almost made up sounding, it doesn't help the brand). I bet most people looking at that commercial will think its just a fake brand on the box, if they even notice it.

But anyway, as far as toys go, Hasbro/Mattel are mainstream. Sideshow isn't and they've been at it a long time.

I still can't walk in to, Target or Toysrus to buy one off the shelf, so no.
Exactly, HT still isn't the easiest to find, you have to be looking. I didn't even know what HT was until I decided I wanted a nice TDKR Batman collectible after I saw the movie. Google brought me to Sideshow and there was my DX12. The rest is history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Kinda like what Green Goblin said...HT not really close to "main stream"
If you walk up to someone and ask them if they know Mattel or possibly Hasbro, many people would know. But where in your area can you buy a HT figure?
I know of a few comic shops, and get most of mine online - so I would not call that main stream.

In the high end collectible world yes they are - especially in the 1:6 world.

Are they getting much more publicity?...that commercial is a definite yes. Another not as well known instance was the HT figure that Harrison Ford broke on TV:
https://youtu.be/p0qrxL8oGbE?t=2m9s
Since mainly collectors are the only ones that can spot it is a HT figure, I would not say HT is mainstream to the general public.

I'm good with it as long as they don't start upping the quantities of the figures and ultimately drive down their value.

Back