Is feedback SO important!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big al

Shut the ^^^^^k up Donny!
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have been using e bay for about 5 years now, both as a buyer and a seller, I have seen e bay change for the worse, and also for...well,,, the worse! Since the no negatives for buyers was taken off more and more people are almost holding me to ransom to leave feedback straight away, as soon as they have paid, I dont have much time as it is, due to working shift based work, but I got this e mail the other day off a buyer:

Dear alwlangford,

are you intending to leave feedback?

ah

As I am English and overly polite I found this quie abrupt, as they had only left me feedback the day before, and it was over Christmas so I have been distracted with more important things than feedback, so i left it 2 days, and then got a second message:

Dear alwlangford,

2nd request. are you intending to leave me feedback. i paid first, promptly, and therefore am expecting positive feedback.

I again found this quite rude, so replied:

I am going to leave feedback, but thought, why should I rush, as I found your first request very rude and abrupt, there was no please or thankyou on the message and it seemed almost like you were ordering me to leave feedbback for you. Which I was going to do, but I do not always have time to do it as soon as you leave it for me.

And finally got this reply from him:
Dear alwlangford,

my communication with you wasnt rude. yours to me was. I will never leave feedback for a seller in future until I have received it. you wouldnt have dared to write your last message if I had yet to leave feedback. In future try leaving the buyer feedback promptly as they have had to conclude their part of the deal before any goods are received and sending rude childish messages like you last to me is very unprofessional

Am I the bad guy, or is it him, please don't crucify me if it is me in the wrong, just my opinion on this guy.

That guy is really childish demanding feedback, but when I get that kind of message, I usually just ignore it. You can almost anticipate the kind of response that he gave you based on his previous messages. I forget to leave feedback sometimes, sometimes buyers forget to leave me feedback. It isn't a big deal once you have enough transactions, but maybe he was trying to build up feedback? I don't think you are in the wrong, but by basically saying "I'll leave feedback when I feel like it" (albeit in more diplomatic language), it seems like you are asking for the defensive final e-mail that he sent. . .given his previous correspondence.

2nd request. are you intending to leave me feedback. i paid first, promptly, and therefore am expecting positive feedback.

This kind of attitude from a buyer is laughable. Payment is required per eBay. Feedback on any transaction is voluntary.

Besides feedback is useless for buyers since now all they can get is positives. Now Good and bad buyers look all alike.

my communication with you wasnt rude. yours to me was. I will never leave feedback for a seller in future until I have received it. you wouldnt have dared to write your last message if I had yet to leave feedback. In future try leaving the buyer feedback promptly as they have had to conclude their part of the deal before any goods are received and sending rude childish messages like you last to me is very unprofessional

Oy! Little Jimmy didn't get his virtual "pat on the head" so now he's gonna throw a tantrum from now on. :rotfl

Big Al...from what you've written, you didn't do anything wrong.

Your buyer is just 'tard.

BTW...Feedback is just another persons opinion and shouldn't define you as a person. Feedback is pointless outside of eBay.

And for the record...I leave my opinion whenever I want not when someone else wants me to.

Last edited:
If it was an English speaking buyer (as in their first language) the tone of his messages would have pissed me off as well. With someone who wasn't using it as a first language it might be slightly more understandable.

I've forgotten to leave feedback in the past, I always do it, but occasionally it's just when logging into my eBay and seeing I've forgotten to leave some.

I'm crap at leaving feedback on Amazon though :lol

I think I've left it once and that was only because they sent me the wrong version of Pumpkinhead, they advertised it under having the lenticular cover and it didn't

Is suprising how many sellers on Amazon don't make sure they're putting it under the right version of the item. Got sent the wrong copy of the Edward Scissorhands OST once, got sent the U.S. version and I wanted the German as it had 4 more tracks.

I leave feedback when the transaction from both buyer and seller is complete. When the buyer receives the item and leaves me feedback, I know the transaction is complete and leave it.

It's important when you don't have much, i.e. less than 50. I know I was asking for it then. Now, I could care less. But I usually get around to leaving it, both for buyers and sellers. If you don't respond within a certain length of time, you can't leave it at all.

Yeah, the buyers first message seems abrupt, but you're not sure he was being a jerk. I would have taken two minutes, left him feedback and been done with it. There's no reason to cause yourself more aggravation by telling the guy he was being rude.

As a buyer ive always left feedback asap. Luckily ive never had a bad experience on Ebay so i cant complain. Ive only had 1 guy not leave feedback for me. I gave him positive feedback, but never recieved mine. I emailed him once after a month to ask for it, and got no reply, that was about 6 months ago, so i let it slide. Im not too fussed its not worth hassling over tbh, unless your a Ebay noob with a low score. My score is only 40, but most people just want buyers with at least 10 stars so its nps.

In your case id say you should have just given him feedback and be done with it. I think you made it more of a problem than it need be, and i wouldnt have called what he said rude at all. If anything id say you were more rude than anything. For the amount of time it spent replying to the guy you couldve clicked a few buttons and left his feedback after the first email.

Last edited:
The guy seemed a bit over eager, but the hassle could have been avoided by a couple of clicks with a mouse

Yeah, the buyers first message seems abrupt, but you're not sure he was being a jerk. I would have taken two minutes, left him feedback and been done with it. There's no reason to cause yourself more aggravation by telling the guy he was being rude.

Batty speaks the truth!!

When I sell I tell people, "please leave feedback upon arrival of the item and the same will follow shortly thereafter". So if the buyer leaves me feedback once it arrives, then I will immediatly leave them feedback. If they don't leave me feedback, then they don't get feedback either.

In hindsight it might have been better to ignore the initial message and later explain 'you went away for a week but now your back, here's the feedback'. It may not be the truth but it would've bypassed the aggravation. If your still not happy, you could tell him 'as he isn't going to leave anyone on ebay feedback anymore, and seeing as how unprofessional you are, you are going to forego your obligations too, starting with him.' You may not be able to leave negative feedback, but you can leave no feedback. You might tell him you aren't going to leave feedback until he says sorry, really, what you do is up to you. Leave him the feedback and problem is solved and dissolved.

When I sell I tell people, "please leave feedback upon arrival of the item and the same will follow shortly thereafter". So if the buyer leaves me feedback once it arrives, then I will immediatly leave them feedback. If they don't leave me feedback, then they don't get feedback either.

This is my exact same policy; however, I have noticed since eBay started it's new no-neutral/negative for buyers, there are ALOT more buyers acting like jerks. I had one buyer leave me neutral feedback because shipping took more than 9 days! I shipped it the day that he paid, how the heck can I control USPS! I have also had three buyers win auctions and not pay. As much as I hate eBay because of the anti-seller feedback and outrageous fees, we are all stuck using it. There is only so long I can leave an item on craigslist or the forum. :(

Actually, as soon as he sent the second e mail I left him the feedback, then sent the message that I posted earlier.
I have been having a lot more people getting hung up on feedback lately, one guy left feedback last week saying good transaction but took a while to leave feedback (I left it 2 days after I received the item)
And I also had another say he could not withdraw his paypal funds for a mobile I bought until feedback was left for him and that it was a new thing that ebay/paypal were doing??

Ok guys, I have been using e bay for about 5 years now, both as a buyer and a seller, I have seen e bay change for the worse, and also for...well,,, the worse! Since the no negatives for buyers was taken off more and more people are almost holding me to ransom to leave feedback straight away, as soon as they have paid, I dont have much time as it is, due to working shift based work, but I got this e mail the other day off a buyer:

Dear alwlangford,

are you intending to leave feedback?

ah
As I am English and overly polite I found this quie abrupt, as they had only left me feedback the day before, and it was over Christmas so I have been distracted with more important things than feedback, so i left it 2 days, and then got a second message:

Dear alwlangford,

I again found this quite rude, so replied:

I am going to leave feedback, but thought, why should I rush, as I found your first request very rude and abrupt, there was no please or thankyou on the message and it seemed almost like you were ordering me to leave feedbback for you. Which I was going to do, but I do not always have time to do it as soon as you leave it for me.

And finally got this reply from him:
Dear alwlangford,

Am I the bad guy, or is it him, please don't crucify me if it is me in the wrong, just my opinion on this guy.

As a buyer I never leave feedback until I receive the item and everything is fine. As a seller, I tell them to let me know when they receive the item, then I'll leave feedback. No way will I leave good feedback until the item is received. Since you can't leave negative feedback, I'm not leaving any if they try and screw me over.

btw......where is this seller from?

And I also had another say he could not withdraw his paypal funds for a mobile I bought until feedback was left for him and that it was a new thing that ebay/paypal were doing??

I've never heard of such a thing. I would've gotten complaints then because I'm slow at giving feedback.

i never sell on ebay. i only buy. as a buyer i always make an effort to leave feedback when i receive the item just so the seller knows that i got it without any problems. some sellers worry about that stuff. i could care less if nobody left me any feedback.

Back