Infinity Studio: LOTR - Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) 1:2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn’t find great references at the same angle, so I can’t say for sure, but if I had to guess…. The jaw doesn’t look square enough and like he is maybe puffing out his cheeks slightly, the under eyelids look a tad too low for him (they gave him huge bags man) and bottom lip could be a tad bigger. Then, the eyebrows are iconic for Viggo, and they just don’t look correct. The furrow and creasing on the eyebrows looks wrong, and his shape and eyebrow color looks different, but it is hard to say for sure since I personally wouldn’t have furrowed his eyebrows like that to begin with. The pose makes it look like the reference was leading the Undead Army, but he full on is snarling in this moment. It looks like they chose the seconds before he is charging like a madman, mouth agape, since everyone hated Gandalf’s pose. However, this is a pretty unusual pose for Viggo, since he was usually either very expressive, or very calm-faced before charging. I could be wrong, but personally I don’t remember seeing him charging at anyone with just eyebrows furrowed. I would switch to a stare down moment InArt chose, without the furrowed eyebrows, and then reassess. Also, focus on facial hair, Viggo had more patchy facial hair that grew at different weight and darkness in different spots, so try to really encompass that. Just my opinion. Either way, the artist did great work.😄

To me this is pretty cool, I'd think of it more as like Iron Studio's work in that they will do great, fluid, sculpts that aren't a one-to-one, exactly, of what happened on screen, but gets the theme across; like their Civil War diorama or their Mando statue. Artistic. This to me evokes the battle at Amon Hen.

At the same time, I get a weird feeling that this is so close to Viggo, but not. It's like my eyes want to refocus. Fortunately I can't do 1/2 scale $$$$$$ I just don't get why at this scale it's not a flawless likeness - because, a lot can be done digitally and then finish off with hand sculpting.

I think the big issue is expectations. Some people expect these sculptures to hit that magical 100% likeness (even when they say they'll settle for less) - because the price of these things hurt so bad. At these prices, people want to feel like that purchase is a "one and done" - and that nothing will come out in the future that diminishes the value and perceived quality of what they've spent a horde of cash on...

On the other hand, for some (me included) the likeness is as good as I'd expect a figure to be. I'd be happy if it was cheaper, but, price aside, I just don't see the artistic issues that others claim to see.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that what they're seeing is right or wrong - but as seasoned collectors of figures, it should be obvious by now that a figure can be perfect for some, and a flop for others. Expecting or hoping for Infinity to make changes to a figure to suit your personal tastes is not only massively impractical but also unfair. The naysayers always seem to assume that the changes they're recommending will improve the figure, however, any changes might make the figure closer to your perceptions of perfect, while dragging the figure further away from what satisfied customers are already happy with.....so, they complain, and the back and forth continues.

I hate to say it - as it should be obvious. You gotta take it or leave it. If for some the InArt is better, buy that instead. I'm thinking about buying both :)

Product Info
Dimensions: H: 136.4 * L: 58.8 * D: 56.5 (CM)
Materials: Polystone, Metal, Silicone, Fabric, High-Temperature Silk, etc.
Limited Edition Size: 499 Pieces
Estimated Delivery: Q4, 2024

Up at Sideshow for $2993. Have to admit, that price isn't too bad when you consider it's 1/2 scale and some of JND's stuff (and some of Prime1/Blitzway) goes for similar pricing while being at 1/3 scale

Last edited:
I think the big issue is expectations. Some people expect these sculptures to hit that magical 100% likeness (even when they say they'll settle for less) - because the price of these things hurt so bad. At these prices, people want to feel like that purchase is a "one and done" - and that nothing will come out in the future that diminishes the value and perceived quality of what they've spent a horde of cash on...

On the other hand, for some (me included) the likeness is as good as I'd expect a figure to be. I'd be happy if it was cheaper, but, price aside, I just don't see the artistic issues that others claim to see.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that what they're seeing is right or wrong - but as seasoned collectors of figures, it should be obvious by now that a figure can be perfect for some, and a flop for others. Expecting or hoping for Infinity to make changes to a figure to suit your personal tastes is not only massively impractical but also unfair. The naysayers always seem to assume that the changes they're recommending will improve the figure, however, any changes might make the figure closer to your perceptions of perfect, while dragging the figure further away from what satisfied customers are already happy with.....so, they complain, and the back and forth continues.

I hate to say it - as it should be obvious. You gotta take it or leave it. If for some the InArt is better, buy that instead. I'm thinking about buying both :)
Well said.

I think it's great but to large and costly at this point for me. With shipping and taxes thats a down payment on a new vehicle..

Back