INDY IV: The IrishJedi "Review"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review that gives us more to think about.

As I think about the film, I would say that the enemies didn't provide a real sense of menace. I liked Cate Blanchett, but she didn't really have any truly memorable sinister moments. When Marion comes out of the tent, everybody is just smiling and bickering and there was no sense of danger or threat in spite of their captivity by Spalko. She reminded me more of Belloq--someone who is a kindred spirit to Indy in search of something, but with a dark side. In the past, that "champagne villain" was always balanced out by a more menacing character or two (Belloq/Toht/Dietrich or Donovan/Elsa/Vogel).

The big fist fight in the ant scene was OK, but it was just a matter of trading punches. In Raiders, Indy overcomes his weakness by kicking in the crotch, biting the arm, throwing sand in the face, etc. He was a little more desperate and creative when facing superior muscle power. He was a resourceful fighter rather than a fair one. I thought that a simple "fair fight" wasn't quite in the spirit of Indy, who would much rather shoot you down than get in a boxing match.

I was expecting to be annoyed by Shia and really enjoy Karen Allen, and I would agree that the opposite happened. She was even smiling when she washed up on shore with a detached steering wheel firmly in tow. I was really expecting her to give Indy a good punch to the jaw when she came out of that tent.

One other part that will probably always have me scratching my head is what exactly Indy was thinking in the quicksand scene when he tells Oxley to go and get help. The only other people around were the bad guys. What was crazy Oxley supposed to do?

Indy did his normal resourceful then when fighting since he grabbed the big piece of wood.

For me one major thing that was missing was violence. I mean, in the others we saw people getting shot, burned, melted, exploded, disintegrated, and beheaded. In this? Well, some large ants swarmed some guys.

Good,thought out review even though we would disagree about where to place this movie in the series.For me it is a tie between Kingdom and LC,being under Raiders and over TOD. IMO Kate Capshaw is the "Jar Jar" of the series,but I can still enjoy the movie. I also do not agree with the "anti prequel" garbage, I enjoyed KOTCS when I first saw it and it gets better with each viewing. I still can watch and enjoy the prequels with multiple showings.I saw ROTS 5 times in the theatre and many more viewings at home.I have never been to a movie theatre that many times to see a movie before, so I don't buy the anti prequel crap. I do like your terminology about fanboys Irish: "cynical hyperbole", that hits the nail on the head about the world we live in now and the age of the internet. The Indy movies and the Star Wars movies are the movies of our generation and we should be glad to have them. By the way Irish,my born on date is '72 also........

For me one major thing that was missing was violence. I mean, in the others we saw people getting shot, burned, melted, exploded, disintegrated, and beheaded. In this? Well, some large ants swarmed some guys.

That's not quite accurate. The soviets shot and killed many people (Army guys, Ugha warriors, etc) and there were even some incinerations.

The problem is that Indy himself only dispatches one person, and that's with the reverse blowdart. Otherwise, all he does is punch a few dudes. Lame.

Great review Carl... we're of one mind it would seem.
I found the character of Oxley perplexing as well-- for a multitude of reasons, but what was your impression of Ray Winstone's Mac?... He's another character that I really didn't enjoy for what he was supposed to be.

Your thoughts?:whip

(the absence of a gun shooting Indy was annoying as well:gun)

:wave:confused:

You make some great points. I have yet to see a second viewing but I had that same NUMB feeling that you did coming out of the theater. I also noticed the relationship with Mutt was similar to the Indy/Henry one from TLC. ESPECIALLY when they get away on the bike and Mutt is grinning, only to look and Indy and get that same cold disapproving stare his dad gave HIM when they escaped from the castle on the bike... Really good moment there.

One other part that will probably always have me scratching my head is what exactly Indy was thinking in the quicksand scene when he tells Oxley to go and get help. The only other people around were the bad guys. What was crazy Oxley supposed to do?

My wife nudged me at that point as well; maybe Ox had a connection with the gymnists guarding the gravesite?

:google

Great review Carl... we're of one mind it would seem.
I found the character of Oxley perplexing as well-- for a multitude of reasons, but what was your impression of Ray Winstone's Mac?... He's another character that I really didn't enjoy for what he was supposed to be.

Your thoughts?:whip

(the absence of a gun shooting Indy was annoying as well:gun)

Hey Neil.

It's weird that I forgot about this. Not only your post, but the Mac character in general in my review. Which I suppose says it all: he's utterly forgettable.

I'm with you. I was expecting a much more interesting dynamic with him. When I learned before the movie that he was Indy's old WWII I expected some fun banter between the two, but that really went out the window when he turns on Indy 5 minutes into the movie. From that point on he's a throwaway character who's only purpose is as a plot device to have the FBI suspicious of Indy and always lead Spalko & Co. to him. He's not the foil or fun sidekick many of us were expecting. And that's okay, because Mutt fills that role perfectly.

My wife nudged me at that point as well; maybe Ox had a connection with the gymnists guarding the gravesite?

:google

I took that totally differently. At the time I think Indy was perfectly willing to have Oxley seek the Russians for help.

That's not quite accurate. The soviets shot and killed many people (Army guys, Ugha warriors, etc) and there were even some incinerations.

The problem is that Indy himself only dispatches one person, and that's with the reverse blowdart. Otherwise, all he does is punch a few dudes. Lame.

It didn't show the people getting killed though, that was out of view of the camera. In Raiders it actually showed people getting shot, with blood. I'm meaning that kind of stuff.

Oh, I'm with you guys on this, don't get me wrong. Which is why I brought it up in the first place. It appears that Spielberg is now too sensitive to Leftist issues to have the hero on a fun action-adventure shoot at folks. It wasn't quite as shameful as "The Lost World" but it is even more annoying, because this is INDY for crissakes... he used to shoot at everybody. Hell, he even shiskabobbed a dude.

My main disagreement with your review, is that I don't think they portrayed Indy as the same guy we know.. I know he's supposed to be older and all that.. To me it seemed like Harrison didn't even remember how he played him sometimes..

Why is Indy always so eager to HELP the enemy??!!

I smiled at the beginning because I thought Indy was up to something with taking all the ammo and gun powder... it was going to pay off with him detonating it or something turning the tables.. nope just helping the bad guys find the alien body..

Why did he continue to help them when he was captured at the camp... MUTT finally does the right thing resulting in their escape.. Only to have Indy complain about it!

I'm all for humor, but Indy was almost a buffoon at times..

In each instance, I assumed that Indy was going along with the Russkies until he found an opportunity to escape or turn the tables.

He helped Donovan for the last 10 minutes of Last Crusade, but he did it for his father.

My main disagreement with your review, is that I don't think they portrayed Indy as the same guy we know.. I know he's supposed to be older and all that.. To me it seemed like Harrison didn't even remember how he played him sometimes..

Why is Indy always so eager to HELP the enemy??!!

I smiled at the beginning because I thought Indy was up to something with taking all the ammo and gun powder... it was going to pay off with him detonating it or something turning the tables.. nope just helping the bad guys find the alien body..

Why did he continue to help them when he was captured at the camp... MUTT finally does the right thing resulting in their escape.. Only to have Indy complain about it!

I'm all for humor, but Indy was almost a buffoon at times..

I think you're missing the point a bit. Indy is exactly the same character, only 20 years older, mellowed, and changed by serving in WWII and now dealing with a paranoid political climate. I think Ford nailed his performance, actually.

As for "helping" the bad guys. This isn't the case, either. I don't see him being "eager" at all. He was held at gunpoint in the opening sequence (and also feared for Mac's life before he turned) but still managed to find a way out of it. At the camp, he was equally enthralled with figuring out Oxley's riddle as well as being aware that Marion and Oxley's lives were at stake if he did not help. The "complaining" about Mutt's escape in the camp was due to it being rash (which is something Indy would have done in his youth) and not fully calculated. That's why the "This is intolerable." line ensued. Indy is becoming more and more like his father. This was done on purpose and makes perfect sense to me.

You need to see it again with all of this in mind.

Back