Indy 1:6 Repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

small_studios

Super Freak
Reaction score
2h3quly.png

aw6l5f.png

14azg2h.png

That repaint is fantastic!! The hat looks very different. Is it from the Crystal Skull figure? Or did you just extend the crown on the Raiders hat? Terrific paint-up nonetheless.

Terrific job with the repaint . What type of paint did you use ? Acrylic/ laquer/enamel or brand name. Again, beautiful job !!!

Thanks guys i always enjoy the feedback.

That repaint is fantastic!! The hat looks very different. Is it from the Crystal Skull figure? Or did you just extend the crown on the Raiders hat? Terrific paint-up nonetheless.

The fedora is indeed from the Crystal Skull Indy. It looks more screen accurate to the one he wore in Raiders imo. The one that came with the original sculpt was a bit to wide.

Terrific job with the repaint . What type of paint did you use ? Acrylic/ laquer/enamel or brand name. Again, beautiful job !!!

Thanks! I always use acrylic paint by liquitex

Hey Josh looks like you were able to paint the standard head afterall? I remember you told me that your paint would not take to it. Guess you gave it another try and it worked! Am not surprised you;d figure a way to pull it off though :D

Hey Josh looks like you were able to paint the standard head afterall? I remember you told me that your paint would not take to it. Guess you gave it another try and it worked! Am not surprised you;d figure a way to pull it off though :D

Actually truth be told that Indy sculpt is actually a recast i had made in resin. :monkey3 Dont tell anyone. I gave up on trying to paint the orignal cast awhile ago. :lol

Last edited:
Actually truth be told that Indy sculpt is actually a recast i had made in resin. :monkey3 Dont tell anyone. I gave up on trying to paint the orignal cast awhile ago. :lol

I've heard of a few people who had that problem. Something about the acrylic paint running? I would imagine the material the head is cast in has some sort of oil in it that reacts poorly to the paint.

Absolutely amazing talent on show there!

Now I mean this in the best possible way - but looking at your paint work always makes my head hurt...because I can never quite work it out. There's an intensity to all of your work that gives it a hyper-realistic quality and I've got no freaking clue where it comes from. Initially I thought it was because you used a limited palette and it was just a few bold colours, but then I look closer and see all sorts of shading and transitions and subtleties of colour. So that's not it. The blending and feathering on the hairline and subtleties around the eyes rules out the idea that you trend towards strong bold lines which could give it that realer-than-real look. So what gives?! Is it just something obvious like you photograph your work with the colour saturation kicked up a notch and using a camera that could pick up the details of a pimple on a fly's butt? Actually that might be it - there's just no "noise" in your work...it's like superbly crafted CG that is so perfect it's too perfect. And just in case anyone gets all upset and thinks I'm criticising, please note I just called that paint job perfect ;-)

I totally agree with you on that. One of he things that I adore about Josh's work is the way his heads look 'illustrated'

Exactly. But when you break his work down into its components there isn't anything there that looks like an "illustration" technique, every individual component looks extremely lifelike. Josh, I'm gunna send you my ibuprofen bill, ok?

On a more serious note, Josh I think I remember reading somewhere that you're a classically trained artist? If you are - or actually even if you're not - is there actually a named technique that you employ to achieve this specific look? Or ten years from now will we be hearing fine art discussed in reference to its application of the Joshian Effect?

Back