Prop Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Custom Skull 1:1 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have been wanting to show this for some time now. I can now show it has it's nearly complete. My Brother is a huge Indiana Jones fan and collectors a lot of props. One prop he has wanted as soon as he saw it was the Crystal Skull. Searching high and low for good replicas has been a nightmare with no look what so ever. So after much debate myself, my brother and our good sculptor friend. Decided to tackle it. A lot of time, research and hard work have gone into it. All for one man lol.
I'm going to show the step by step stages that we have gone though. then once we have completed the Skull we will have loads and loads of images to show you all.

Starting point the basic foam form
p1050306e.jpg

p1050307l.jpg

p1050308d.jpg

p1050310i.jpg

p1050311v.jpg

p1050312k.jpg

Our sculptor has used Mulliput and applied to the the foam form. The reason for using Mulliput is the fact when we mould it in clear resin, we can polish it and get it a lot smoother.

Basic shape added with Mulliput.
progress101210.jpg

progress070111.jpg

The skull is split so we can make the skull hollow when it comes to moulding in clear resin.

skullbackleft3qtr.jpg

skullbackright3qtr.jpg

skullback.jpg

Detail is added to the skull split to make it look natural.

skullbottomjoinclosed.jpg

skullbottomjoin.jpg

Detail being added to the front of the skull
skullfrontleft3qtr.jpg

skullfrontright3qtr.jpg

skullfronttopjawleft3qt.jpg

skullfronttopjaw.jpg

skullfront.jpg

Detailing added to the sides of the Skull
skullleftside.jpg

skullrightside.jpg

The Skull before the final Clean up!

12bur.jpg

12ce.jpg

The completed Clean up of the Skull
64078133.jpg

The Hollowed out Skull
12av.jpg

The first test of the clear resin. The whole Skull is sprayed with a gloss varnish so we can get a smooth finish once its been moulded in clear resin
jawm.jpg

Wow! That's absolutely amazing work!
If there ever is a list, put me on the top of it.

Incredible, incredible craftsmanship.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Agreed... a 1/1 crystal skull would be awesome in the movie room... would be more than happy to do some 1/4 and 1/6 leather gear in trade :)

Amazing work! If it is affordable i'm down for this one!

The Skull before the final Clean up!

12bur.jpg

12ce.jpg

The completed Clean up of the Skull
64078133.jpg

The Hollowed out Skull
12av.jpg

The first test of the clear resin. The whole Skull is sprayed with a gloss varnish so we can get a smooth finish once its been moulded in clear resin
jawm.jpg

Don't worry guys this one is not dead!
Here you go some images of the more or less finished Crystal Skull.
My brother is over-the-moon with this piece. Gotta say it looks amazing, especially with a light underneath it too.
Enjoy!
Greggo

crystalskullfront.jpg

crystalskull3qtrleft.jpg

crystalskull3qtrright.jpg

crystalskullback.jpg

crystalskullright.jpg

crystalskullleft.jpg

crystalskulltop.jpg

I have a 1:1 skull, I would suggest stuffing it with the thicker clear cellophane you get from any florist. You know, the kind they wrap a bouquet in? It comes off of a big roll. Anyway, use it to stuff the skull a little more loosely, and you're about as screen accurate as you could want. I tried it with mine, but the resin was pooled up all over the place from the rotocasting process, so it doesn't look right when I do it in mine and I have to leave it hollow. Otherwise the stuff from the florist was perfect.

Now that I got that off of my chest, that is a thing of beauty! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Also, is the resin tinted that color? It looks like glass! How much does it weigh? And for God's sake, post a picture of your brother holding it! :D

Last edited:
Back