Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critical Drinker called it a lot of things in his stream last night. I agree with him on a lot of things but I had to tell him I disagreed with his points on this one.

1) Raiders
2) Last Crusade
3) Dial of Destiny
4) Temple of Doom
5) Crystal Skull

Dial of Destiny surpassed my expectations and while it’s not perfect, it was a far better ending for Indiana Jones than Crystal Skull.

I’m hoping to see it again this weekend.

Cop Land Sucks.

It was supremely disappointing. I was sooo psyched to see it. That cast was freaking insane. Had so much potential. Went out and eagerly saw it opening day....

And it was just....sucky. It was so underwhelming. Just a slightly more violent episode of "NYPD Blue" or something. Such a waste of time. I haven't had any inclination to see it since opening weekend.

Part of the issue with the box office bomb (so far) I have to believe is the lack of advertising. Im
Sure their budget is out there and I don’t know what it is but I feel personally like I just saw a trailer for this thing a month ago and then it’s just out out of nowhere and over?

I think Disney was a bit cocky here thinking an Indy movie didn’t need a lot of promotion but between that and releasing it on a holiday weekend when half of the USA at least is covered in smoke (not Disney’s fault of course) it could just be an alchemy of bad timing and bad decisions.

People seem to have a short memory and have forgotten Crystal Skull… pop that thing in and tell me this isn’t a more befitting ending and way way more on tone to the first movies.

Let’s leave the Wombat character and her baffling (to me) controversy alone for a min, and remember Marion’s smugness and her dynamic with Indy and compare it to this. All of this could have worked better in this film than it did, they made the right calls and it was handled well enough but in raiders thst dynamic ad well as the fun feeling overall… it’s just a hair more exuberant and lively and I think that’s where this film fell just slightly short here,

So My biggest issue is it’s lacking a bit of heart and is a bit boring at times but it’s a good Indy film we didn’t need it any reason not to make KOTCS the last time we saw Indy on screen.

Take away all that this is a decent film. It’s a 7/10 which is all you can hope for. It’s firm, good performances and action scenes… classic Indy charm and it’s a gorgeous looking picture overall.

People especially fanboys are gonna *****. But there is not one reboot except blade runner (and yes I’m especially counting the last ghostbuster movie) that worked. So it’s sort of in my opinion if the studios don’t leave well enough alone the best outcome is something like this film.

Thumbs up for me and I’m sticking to it!

Surely I couldn't have been the only one to notice how odd it was to hear Indy's slower, softer, slurrier, elderly senior citizen voice coming out of his "young" face.

Yeah, I was wondering how that would work. Even his movements -- when not CGI action rubberman -- would seem more elderly.

Also chiming in to edit my post to agree with @Johnny Utah this film is at least on par or better than temple of doom.

Wow! That is high praise indeed. Not that ToD doesn't have its cornball faults as I expect this one to have, but reaching all the way back to the 2nd installment... and this one could be BETTER?

I'm assuming Last Crusade is your 2nd favorite Indy movie, because there's no way you just said Dial of Destiny is the 2nd best Indy film of all time.

Wow! That is high praise indeed. Not that ToD doesn't have its cornball faults as I expect this one to have, but reaching all the way back to the 2nd installment... and this one could be BETTER?

I'm assuming Last Crusade is your 2nd favorite Indy movie, because there's no way you just said Dial of Destiny is the 2nd best Indy film of all time.
Yep! Correct!

It’s hard to call the new film a favorite. Nostalgia will always edge out TOD over this but ad far as the films in order of the best films IMO it goes like this.

Raiders
Last Crusade
Dial of Destiny
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull

Some people are just so distracted by shiny newness they lose all sense of perspective and sane reasoning.

Star Wars.jpg

Raiders
Last Crusade
Dial of Destiny
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull

For me, I flip ToD and LC -- mostly because I like the villain better in ToD, despite Connery.

I'm so curious where I will find this movie on my list. I've always assumed it will slide into the #4 slot for me... as I can't find anything of value in Crystal Skull anymore, so just having Mads as the villain, and a pretend opening where we "go back" to good old Indy is enough for me to know it won't be the worst of the movies. But cracking past the old 80's adventures, I just can't see that... yet.

I only like a few things about TOD, mainly the opening scene, the mine cart chase and that Harrison looks the most like Indy in the early village scenes.
345338ba04740b4665733456691b3759.jpg

temple-doom-movie-screencaps.com-2963.jpg
temple-doom-movie-screencaps.com-3109.jpg

I only like a few things about TOD, mainly the opening scene, the mine cart chase and that Harrison looks the most like Indy in the early village scenes.
View attachment 647497

View attachment 647498View attachment 647499
Does that include the part where Indy and co are in the plane up to the point where their dingy ends up by the Indian Village?
I like that whole section.

I pretty much like all of TOD apart from the really gruesome parts. The guy getting roasted alive, Indy having to drink the blood and the child whipping is a bit much, especially for a supposedly family movie.

I think all the first three Indy films have very strong openings. Raiders is by far the best though. I have heard various people say that D of D first 20 minutes in very strong then it drifts?

Last edited:
Back